Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which floor pump are you normally using to seat your tire. The floor pumps with tubeless booster would be out of my budget so looking to see what non booster floor pump people are using to seat their tires. This will be used on plus tire bike & my 29er gravel bike.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,999 Posts
I'm using a cheap $18 model Bell high volume I got at the local department store. Been using it for years.

I have one of those fancy charger pumps, but guess what, because of the presta-valve restriction, it doesn't fill tires fast enough to really be effective. In other words, if I can't fill it with the cheap Bell, I damn sure can't fill it with the charger, doesn't move air FAST enough. Air compressors can use nozzle fittings with the valve-core removed, but you are kind of out of luck with the charger pumps in this respect, so you are limited to the most restrictive part, the presta valve core. This stops you from being able to pop on tires like an air compressor.

This is what I've been doing now, for a couple years. It blew my mind at first. Just for shits, a few months ago I took a tire off and re-set it with my hand-pump at the trailhead, to show how this works. All you need is one of the good beefy plastic tire levers.

I just installed my giant tubeless fat tires a couple days ago. I've literally spent hours and hours trying to seat some tires and if I had known this at the time...man, I would have never gotten so frustrated. This seriously changes things. I just see no reason to do a compressor or charger pump now. Plus, I can do it on the trail, that's the real nice part about it.

Speaking of, this reminds me that I want to post that charger pump on the local buy and sell page, thanks.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have seated fat and plus tires with a normal Bontrager pump and even my Leznye Micro Floor Drive XL without resorting to the S&M process. I do have a compressor, and I had the video on standby just in case but I have not yet needed it.

I wanted to trail test the Lezyne in the garage before it went out into the snow and when I picked it up I had just converted my fat rims to tubeless. It was not the tool for the trade for everyday use, but definitely can do the job. Of course, with the near infinitely variable rim, tire, and tape combos your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
680 Posts
For almost the same cost as one of those fancy floor pumps with a charging tank, you can just buy a 6 gallon craftsman air compressor and inflate your tires way easier and faster, not to mention you can top up your wifes tires when she forgets to tell you the tire pressure light in her SUV has been on for a month. I don't see the point of using those fancy pumps when a superior tool exists.

I do keep a basic floor pump in my truck for pre ride top ups, but I almost never use a floor pump when I'm wrenching in my garage.

That being said, fat tires are a whole different beast. Even with a compressor, I have to seat the bead with a tube in first, carefully break one side, remove the tube, then hit the open valve core with max PSI and hope the bead takes. Fat tubeless can be a mega PITA.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,325 Posts
nothing special, jow blow regular....most my tires have no problem farting up with it...

problematic tires get a tube and high pressure.... and a few days to sit and think about it, then dismount one bead
yank tube ...remount 3/4 bead and it goes up fine....

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,999 Posts
It's a hell of a lot of more work to put in a tube, pump it up, seat the bead, unseat one side, work tube out, put valve back in, etc...than the above video technique. Seating one side with a tube remains a tool in the arsenal, but not often used anymore.

The only thing that throws a wrench into things is when the spoke holes line up with the tire when it's unseated AND the tape has sunk into the holes a bunch. Then I have to sometimes resort to some advanced methods. Rare though.

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,435 Posts
I have the older version of Bonrager's TLR Flash Charger floor pump. Works like a champ with the valve core removed for setting up most tubless tires. I generally inflate with no sealant for starters to get the beads locked on, then add Stan's. Occasionally run into a stubborn tire. When I do, I inflate with a tube, deflate, slip one side of tire off to remove tube and then reinflate.

Reactions: Funoutside

·
Registered
407 Posts
Old Joe Blow for me. When I have a stubborn tire I take the core out and use a compressor with one of those blower fittings (like what you could use to blow away dirt or whatever) until it seats, then let the air out, put the sealant through the core, put the core back in, and then use the Joe Blow. I much prefer just using the Joe Blow though.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,999 Posts
I have the older version of Bonrager's TLR Flash Charger floor pump. Works like a champ with the valve core removed for setting up most tubless tires. I generally inflate with no sealant for starters to get the beads locked on, then add Stan's. Occasionally run into a stubborn tire. When I do, I inflate with a tube, deflate, slip one side of tire off to remove tube and then reinflate.
To be clear, you can use it with a presta-valve with the presta valve-core removed? So the head will lock over the valve and deliver air without the core? So you can shoot a jet of air more like a compressor with an nozzle?

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,773 Posts
REgular bike floor pump USUALLY works. Most current rims and tires air up just fine with a regular pump. Only problem I have had in recent history (besides a bad taping job) is my gravel wheels which are older Mavic wheels, but still got them to seat.

I want to get onboard air in my van, but low priority right now. That would be option 2. I can't see myself buying one of those special pumps.

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
I have a compressor but usually only use it for the fat tires. I lay the tires out in the sun and let them heat up. I soap the beads and try to push them closer to the rim bead by hand and then with a soapy tire lever. Usually, that works and I just use a cheap floor pump. It is the darn fat tires that give me trouble.

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,435 Posts
To be clear, you can use it with a presta-valve with the presta valve-core removed? So the head will lock over the valve and deliver air without the core? So you can shoot a jet of air more like a compressor with an nozzle?
Correct.

Presta valve core removed, the pump head locks on airtight and blasts a large volume of air into the tire when you hit the red lever to open the valve on the second/larger air chamber.

Reactions: Sidewalk
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.