Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that all floor pumps have pressure gauges that go way upwards of 100psi:confused: :confused: Last time I checked... every mountain bike tire has max pressure @60 psi and everyone I know runs about 30-40psi. Most "Roadies" max out @110psi. What we need are true "Mountain Bike" floor pumps with gauges that max out at 60 psi and have clear incremental readings between each 10 psi. Most of us are pretty anal about tire pressure as +/-2psi can make quite a performance difference on some tire makes. How about it... pump manufacturers; time to get on the ball and start catering to the mountain Bike masses.... OK, rant done.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
AZmtncycler said:
Why is it that all floor pumps have pressure gauges that go way upwards of 100psi:confused: :confused: Last time I checked... every mountain bike tire has max pressure @60 psi and everyone I know runs about 30-40psi. Most "Roadies" max out @110psi. What we need are true "Mountain Bike" floor pumps with gauges that max out at 60 psi and have clear incremental readings between each 10 psi. Most of us are pretty anal about tire pressure as +/-2psi can make quite a performance difference on some tire makes. How about it... pump manufacturers; time to get on the ball and start catering to the mountain Bike masses.... OK, rant done.
No one is going to sell a floor pump with a mtb-specific gauge. There are road tires with 140psi maxes and some track riders will use pressures in the 160-200 range.

The pump gauges are a rough guide at best anyway. Get a good hand pressure gauge to make your final adjustments.

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
RIP Friendgirl
462 Posts
This what your after?

Just replace the gauge with a lower psi unit. Been doing this for years.

Attachments

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
AZmtncycler said:
I guess I should have asked ya a long time ago! How do you like it and where did you get it from?? I checked all the normal online dealers but nobody has the Twister Digital.
I picked it up from Perfomance on close-out for $30:D

The gauge is very accurate, and it measures within .5psi. It matches my old school gauge (very accurate, not like the $5 ones you find today) which I received from my dad perfectly. 26psi on the pump=26psi on the gauge.

There is one really annoying thing about the pump. Where the hose/gauge attaches, there is a swivel. A couple of times a month the connection loosens and air leaks out. Simple tighten it a bit and all is gone. Oh yeah, and it has a nice release button to release pressure much like a shock pump. Working with the gauage can be a bit of a challenge as it takes a few seconds to accurately read the pressure after pumping.

I'll bring it Sunday so you can look at it. I haven't used it on Presta valves yet.

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Excellent!!

tiSS'er said:
I picked it up from Perfomance on close-out for $30:D

The gauge is very accurate, and it measures within .5psi. It matches my old school gauge (very accurate, not like the $5 ones you find today) which I received from my dad perfectly. 26psi on the pump=26psi on the gauge.

There is one really annoying thing about the pump. Where the hose/gauge attaches, there is a swivel. A couple of times a month the connection loosens and air leaks out. Simple tighten it a bit and all is gone. Oh yeah, and it has a nice release button to release pressure much like a shock pump. Working with the gauage can be a bit of a challenge as it takes a few seconds to accurately read the pressure after pumping.

I'll bring it Sunday so you can look at it. I haven't used it on Presta valves yet.
Thanks Brando! Can't wait to see and try it out and compare readings to what I've been using.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
shiggy said:
No one is going to sell a floor pump with a mtb-specific gauge. There are road tires with 140psi maxes and some track riders will use pressures in the 160-200 range.

The pump gauges are a rough guide at best anyway. Get a good hand pressure gauge to make your final adjustments.
I have a Silca Magnum specifically made for high volume low pressure tires. The gauge only goes to 80 psi (still quite high). But same with shock pumps, it's usually fairly easy to replace the gauge.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I recently purchased the Topeak digital gague (for my hubby to use on the car tires as well). We have those poly airbags in the rear (car suspension) and initially I thought he could use my bike shock pump - figured it must be pretty accurate but no it goes up in 10psi increments! Like you that got me thinking why pressure gagues on pumps don't have smaller increments - it's fine they can go to 150psi, just make the first 40psi in smaller increments!

How do you determine that a gague is accurate? Is the best way to compare it to a few other gagues?

·
Registered
699 Posts
AZmtncycler said:
Vredstein makes a clincher road tire that goes to 160psi. My Specialized Armadillo Crossroads MTB tires go to 85psi, and I thought there were some other "road" MTB tires that exceeded even that. When hardcore roadies go to tubulars they can run pressure over 200psi, and are cursing pumps that only go to 140. I guess that doesn't help when you're trying to figure out if you've got 32 or 34 psi in your tires (and that assumes the gauge is accurate to begin with- questionable when many pumps cost less than a good aftermarket pressure gauge), but most pumps are a compromise.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.