Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
probably...but after having done every possible search permutation, i haven't quite gotten the info i need...about to check my LBS and see if they still have one of the PEACE 9rs in stock (medium and/or small)...

my question is this: has anyone around 5'8'+ inseam of 30" 143+ pounds tried both frames out? i am sure i would be able to make either the small (16") or the medium (18") work...comparing the specs, not HUGE differences, but was wondering what the stem differences are, cranks...aside from slight frame differences, these don't seem to be listed in the spec lists. also, much weight difference? quality of ride (climbing, descending)?

i guess i'm asking mainly anyone that has actually ridden both frames...tested them or even owned both.

this is just an extra bike to simultaneously step into singlespeed/29er waters, have fun with, maybe upgrade, hitting moderately bumpy, hilly trails, but nothing extreme of course. not sure if i would want the frame that would help me climb less painfully (neither would be 'easy' !) or descend more comfortably/faster....

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
tried a medium. felt right. still wondering how much different the small would be. probably would feel right, too. range of motion, pain threshold, it's all relative...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i made the leap here...

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_514228_-1_202650_10000_202673 (only small and medium)

last week i watched the price drop from $499 to $449...then last night down to $374! i used my 25% off coupon, had it shipped to my parents house in Delaware (no $22 Pennsylvania tax!)...$280 (and $40 shipping....).

if it arrives undamaged, i'll be happy:) .

when i hit the trails and simultaneously experience the 29er/SS experience, i'm sure i'll be happier :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
^^awesome deal bro. I got a 2010 peace from them about 2 months ago for under 400 and though that was a steal!! My fork dropout was bent a bit but i was switching forks anyways so I didn't care.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wu501 said:
^^awesome deal bro. I got a 2010 peace from them about 2 months ago for under 400 and though that was a steal!! My fork dropout was bent a bit but i was switching forks anyways so I didn't care.
how's the ride? and how much more did you modify it? i wish they had the green one in stock, but i had to go for the medium black/blue/light blue scheme. still sharp. hope it rides sharper

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
p nut said:
That is a steal. Nice work. Keep an eye on the headset and the bottom bracket, as they're pretty cheap units. Nothing a $30 Cane Creek S3 and $25 Shimano UB52 won't fix.
thanks...not planning to drive this thing into the ground (at least the first week...)...but with this supposedly solid frame, i should be able to upgrade moderately and have a fun ride. love my full suspension multi Giant, but...tired of the derailleur always getting hung up on things and getting taxed by mud.

for all the money i saved, i'll upgrade the Nevegals...hated them on my Giant...but then, this will be a bit of a medicine ball training ride, too, on certain climbs!

·
Registered
140 Posts
UBUgoat said:
how's the ride? and how much more did you modify it? i wish they had the green one in stock, but i had to go for the medium black/blue/light blue scheme. still sharp. hope it rides sharper
Still building it up so no ride report for now. I already own a 26" Peace and liked the bike so much that I bought the 29er and am building it from the frame up. I beat the piss out of my 26" peace and the stock parts held up just fine and I weigh around 185 pounds.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wu501 said:
Still building it up so no ride report for now. I already own a 26" Peace and liked the bike so much that I bought the 29er and am building it from the frame up. I beat the piss out of my 26" peace and the stock parts held up just fine and I weigh around 185 pounds.
sounds good...and solid...i'm 143 (after an intense cyclocross season!) and might turn this into a monstercross atrocity with drops...

if i like it enough, i might just go get the small version (in olive matte! what i wanted) since it fits, too...and it would be fun to play with the possible variables. a bad habit my wife still supports by not protesting;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.