Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much SH!t as I've talked about HSchmidt I'm leanin toward getting one by spring. My "Janky" FR derail just shifts like poop. I feel as though I'm constantly walking a fine line between rubbing and picking/dropping the chain on the rings. Also seems to have developed a bit of play on the floating plate which I'll try to tighten up.
Sorry. Just a little venting.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I hear you. I have the horrible seat tube mount on my Nomad which shifts perfectly in all situations, and I have my floating der which I can't get to shift very well in any situation.

I wonder if it's because I'm running the Nomad (and Firebird...) with just two rings and the Nomad der is slammed down as if the middle is the big ring. The Nomad shifts lightning fast. The Firebird der is sitting way up there with a huge gap between the ring guard and the der plates.

There are a few people on here that claim theirs shifts perfectly. I wonder what they are doing that I am not. Maybe it's because I'm using an LX middle ring???

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Running a Bash, 34, 22 also. It used to shift better but not nearly as good as my Ellsworth with a Sram xgen Seatpost mount front. That Derailuer was bomber in comparison.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hammerschmidt Works

Have just fitted HM to my bird and had my first ride in the weekend. Ok, I haven’t ridden the bike with a std crankset, however I could detect little to no effect on suspension action. The worst I could find was the smallest amount of pedal feedback when slow pedalling over small ruts/roots. I am running the 24 tooth cog to minimise the vertical chainline effect as much as possible.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
After one ride I am pretty comfortable in saying: 'the front derailleur is dead'...<o:p></o:p>
We did have a little trouble facing the ISCG tabs. Fair to say they were more than just a little out of true, although this may be just my bike? As a consequence the tab spacers are the largest size provided<o:p></o:p>

Wheel Crankset Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle chain [/ATTACH]

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Initially i was pretty unimpressed with the floating front derailleur mount because the spring kept slipping off the mount. I've bent it so that it stays on and shifting is back to how i expected it to be.

After all that though i think it's a solution looking for a problem. The slot in the frame that the spring fits into allows for too much free play and the split pin being a slightly different height to the mount (i'm assuming to allow for the pin to wear and not the mount) lets the spring slip off if it's not bent so that it sits against the mount instead of just sitting on the pin.

I never had any issues with the front shifting on my Nomad, but the FB is still the better bike.:)

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm sure you guys have experimented with things a lot, but I noticed the front der cable routing played a big part in reliable shifting and the der returning to it's normal position. Originally, my cable came down from the sifter, then went on the left of the head tube, then along the underside of the down tube. I noticed it seemed to bend weird and stick out to the side and the cable would be hanging kind of low near the BB during rides. Then, I rerouted it to the right of the head tube and it stays put and the shifting improved quite a bit. I think it was binding up before. Just throwing it out there.

Nice HS btw.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
rideflatout said:
I'm sure you guys have experimented with things a lot, but I noticed the front der cable routing played a big part in reliable shifting and the der returning to it's normal position. Originally, my cable came down from the sifter, then went on the left of the head tube, then along the underside of the down tube. I noticed it seemed to bend weird and stick out to the side and the cable would be hanging kind of low near the BB during rides. Then, I rerouted it to the right of the head tube and it stays put and the shifting improved quite a bit. I think it was binding up before. Just throwing it out there.

Nice HS btw.
I think I know what you are talking about - how the housing can push stuff up. The thread with the 'rubber band mod' fixes that right up - believe me the derailleur isn't undersprung now!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
gticlay said:
I hear you. I have the horrible seat tube mount on my Nomad which shifts perfectly in all situations, and I have my floating der which I can't get to shift very well in any situation.

I wonder if it's because I'm running the Nomad (and Firebird...) with just two rings and the Nomad der is slammed down as if the middle is the big ring. The Nomad shifts lightning fast. The Firebird der is sitting way up there with a huge gap between the ring guard and the der plates.

There are a few people on here that claim theirs shifts perfectly. I wonder what they are doing that I am not. Maybe it's because I'm using an LX middle ring???
Your der should be in the same place weather you have a big ring or not. It will rub like crazy if you dont because the inner shape is designed to work with the different size rings. SLX makes a 2 ring only der but im running an xtr on my Nomad and have zero rubbing through the entire travel range for two years now. Im only running 2 rings and fill the inner top of the der with a piece of rubber fuel line ( hose) to elimanate and chain drop. Works cherry. If im going to do a smooth Dh race that requires my Nomad I just throw on a Blackspire stinnger. I haven't dropped a chain once since this set up.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
m-dub said:
Your der should be in the same place weather you have a big ring or not. It will rub like crazy if you dont because the inner shape is designed to work with the different size rings. SLX makes a 2 ring only der but im running an xtr on my Nomad and have zero rubbing through the entire travel range for two years now. Im only running 2 rings and fill the inner top of the der with a piece of rubber fuel line ( hose) to elimanate and chain drop. Works cherry. If im going to do a smooth Dh race that requires my Nomad I just throw on a Blackspire stinnger. I haven't dropped a chain once since this set up.
Completely untrue. It doesn't rub at all (except while shifting). Mine is XTR on the 'mad also. Try it on yours and you won't need the fuel line anymore.

·
Registered
23 Posts
gticlay said:
I think I know what you are talking about - how the housing can push stuff up. The thread with the 'rubber band mod' fixes that right up - believe me the derailleur isn't undersprung now!
I got the new spring seen at interbike retrofitted onto my bike after the paperclip snapped. Pivot sent it out and my LBS installed it free of charge. I've had it for 3 weeks now and haven't had a problem with it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The new spring is in stock. Your dealer can order it for you free of charge. All that is needed is the serial number off of your bird.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Got the FD gadget and installed. Here are a few pics. I had to widen the holes a bit with a file so all the screws would engage, other than that smooth install. Shifting seems fine. The old plate and the new one appear to be made of different plastic - the old was is more like lexan and the new one is more molded.

Something I have noticed on the FB is that my chain tends to fall off the middle ring during downhills. I'm running a 2 ring and bash setup, but I haven't shortened the chain yet from the 3 ring length. This is my first bike with this much travel - is this an indication that I need a chainguide or will shortening the chain do the trick?

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts