Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
If you do a lot of steep climbs then get the talas if not then get the float!
I have a 36 talas on my spot but did use my 32 talas for a few rides and found the 120mm setting handy on some steep climbs. .

·
Registered
316 Posts
baltik said:
Do most spot riders use the travel adjustability or am i better off saving $ and weight by going with the float?
I'm have a 2007 Talas. 90% of the time I'm riding in 140mm mode 10% of the time in 120mm. I've only used 100mm out of curiosity. 120 mm feels too steep after Ive ridden in 140mm for some minutes. (But if I start out in 120 I cant feel it, funny!)

My riding is flat with a lot of short/steep climbs. I selldom use the travel adjustment. If the traveladjustment would have had a handlebar mounted control I probably would use iy more. For those occasions when I do climb for extended time the adjustment is wellcomed but I could have lived without it.

I have a 2008 float as well on another bike. I haven't tried the float on the spot but my opinion is that both forks are very suitable.

Your call :)
Kasper

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I have an 08 Talas on my Spot and I use it only on steep uphills. It really helps keep the front end planted, especially when you are tired or doing uphill switchbacks. While I don't use it that often (a few times per ride maybe), I'm glad I got it.

I also was not sure about getting it because of the complexity and cost, but I figured what's an extra hundred bucks when you have $$$$ tied up into the bike already. I also didn't want to regret not getting it when I hit some of the local steep, switchback climbs. Hopefully, the complexity doesn't make we wish I did not get it!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am in norcal, fair amount of single track climbing involved, that said i typically do not tinker with suspension mid ride (propedal etc) I am currently riding a 130mm float which works fine for myclimbs but concerned that the extra 10mm will make the tight switchbacks that much more difficult

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Are you talking 09 or 08 TALAS? 09 TALAS has the 150, which in my mind would be a great fork for the Spot.

You might find the 120mm setting nice for some of the climbs around here, but you can get by without it, I'd guess. I use the 130mm setting on my 36 a lot (even for places like China Camp) and it is indispensable for steep climbs.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
I can never understand why people with 32 TALAS's simply call them "TALAS", when there are several forks in the line with this mechanism.
Given that the OP is running a 130 float I think the assumption is 32 TALAS.

But you are right, It would be helpful this was spelled out, esp, since a few are running the 36 on Spots . . . .:eek:

·
Registered
88 Posts
For the terrain I ride I have never missed the adjustability of the 32 Talas on my Spot when I switched to a 32 Vanilla. Where I ride most often the continuous steep climbs last no longer than 10-15 minutes before there is a short descent or a flat section. With the Talas I often didn't bother lowering for the climbs or I forgot to lower/raise it for the climbs/descents.

If you ride in more alpine terrain, where you might climb for 2 hrs then descend for 30 minutes then the height adjustability might be a good feature.

For my shorter steep climbs I use a suicide grip, tuck my elbows in, sit right on the tip of the seat and stretch my chin forward. Then pedal!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
sigmund said:
For the terrain I ride I have never missed the adjustability of the 32 Talas on my Spot when I switched to a 32 Vanilla. Where I ride most often the continuous steep climbs last no longer than 10-15 minutes before there is a short descent or a flat section. With the Talas I often didn't bother lowering for the climbs or I forgot to lower/raise it for the climbs/descents.
!
Good points. Really, I f you can get by without the TALAS, then the Vanilla is the way to go.

Or else the Pike coil.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.