Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired an SB130LR. My original plan was to get a straight 130 but the LR came up on PB with carbon wheels at a good price. So I went for it. I thought it was a stock build but I noticed the stem is shorter than spec'd which I'm cool with since I'd likely swap it out anyway. So it looks like a build up.

Bigger issue, it came with a 170mm grip2 fork. Wow, wasn't expecting that. I know (I think) I can swap the air shaft to 160 or even 150. Q is what should I expect with the 170mm?

I haven't written it yet, because it just came yesterday. I'm still putting it together. I mostly a technical trail rider in Marin county California. I'll definitely get up to the mountains occasionally and get to the bike park and ride some gnarlier stuff. So I'm sure the 170 will be great for that. But I'm wondering for straight trail riding if I should downsize it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I just acquired an SB130LR. My original plan was to get a straight 130 but the LR came up on PB with carbon wheels at a good price. So I went for it. I thought it was a stock build but I noticed the stem is shorter than spec'd which I'm cool with since I'd likely swap it out anyway. So it looks like a build up.

Bigger issue, it came with a 170mm grip2 fork. Wow, wasn't expecting that. I know (I think) I can swap the air shaft to 160 or even 150. Q is what should I expect with the 170mm?

I haven't written it yet, because it just came yesterday. I'm still putting it together. I mostly a technical trail rider in Marin county California. I'll definitely get up to the mountains occasionally and get to the bike park and ride some gnarlier stuff. So I'm sure the 170 will be great for that. But I'm wondering for straight trail riding if I should downsize it?

For general trail riding I'm a big advocate of erring on the side of under forking bikes with a tuned fork. With that said, you have a sweet fork and probably don't need it tuned so I'd stick with 160. I know Geoff Kabush ran a 160 fork on his SB130 in the Trans Cascadia Enduro last year, but felt like it was a big fork for that frame. A 170 is roughly equivalent on your SB130LR.....but your not racing.

For general trail riding I'd err on the side of 160 or even a 150....

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For general trail riding I'm a big advocate of erring on the side of under forking bikes with a tuned fork. With that said, you have a sweet fork and probably don't need it tuned so I'd stick with 160. I know Geoff Kabush ran a 160 fork on his SB130 in the Trans Cascadia Enduro last year, but felt like it was a big fork for that frame. A 170 is roughly equivalent on your SB130LR.....but your not racing.

For general trail riding I'd err on the side of 160 or even a 150....
Yeah I'm thinking of going down to a 150. Then I can put the 170 back in when I go to the bike Park. I wasn't necessarily looking for a lunch ride but it just came up and it had the carbon wheels so I went for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.