Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I impulsed a new lid from Chainlove.

Got a sixsixone skater style helmet for $12 bucks.
Problem is I didn't know they make TWO model skater style helmets, one for bikers and one that says "NOT FOR BICYCLES" guess which one I got. :rolleyes:

Here's what arrived:

Note the reminder:

So it's apparently less dangerous to slam your head on a half-pipe rail or the concrete ramp or a stairway than it is to take a header off a dirtjump?

So do I keep it or us it with the kid when I try to learn snowboarding?

BTW here's 661's two different listings...neither of which indicates the existence of the other of for that matter can you navigate from one to the other. Both are listed in the Bicycle catalog but one says not for bicycles(?)

The non-for-bikers skate style lid

The Biker approved skate style lid:

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
i dont get the diff pal. maybe its a speed thing that doesnt test out. 661's cs is kinda lost on me so i tend to avoid their stuff these days. my new troy lee d2 just showed up today after i tripped over a sick ebay deal so im pumped about that.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cc, it completely lacks a foam-core liner like most helmets I'm used to seeing. This just has some spongy pads stuck here and there. Again why would skaters need less padding than mtb'ers? Maybe it's speed like you said. Well DJ'ing won't be a high-speed thing. Stupid thing is they sell it in their bike catalog, and ChainLove had it too.

It'll cost me almost as much to ship it back as I paid for it. Guess I'll keep it.

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
toss it

Twelve dollar helmet and a 4k bike.

:)

Personally, I would not ride with the non-rated helmet. It doesn't take much to get KTFO when you hit the ground. I've gone through the same questions myself. Skate vs bike vs moto vs snow. Which one and why.

I really recommend learning about the ratings before you get into a situation where it would have made a difference.

Get started here: http://www.helmets.org

·
Moosehead
1,908 Posts
I've limped away from a high speed MTB crash with a broken shoulder blade, 3 broken ribs, and a concussion - but the bike helmet worked (shattered) and I'm only partly stoopid from it. Never skimped since then for bike lids.

With your combo of big speed, air, and size, IMO stay conservative and get yourself a proper brain bucket even for DJ. A rotating bike seat or crankarm can mysteriously pound you on the skull even in slo mo. Maybe donate the skateboard helmet and stay off the skateboard?

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Dude Zilla! dare I say it you should have bought 2 :D

Just so ya know be careful of advice re that chit!

I broke my neck in one of those, depends on which way ya look at it!

It either saved my life:madman: or something, mine was a TSG highy rec if in the mood for a piss pot, tops imo!

Never skimp on head gear dude, ya riding how many $$ of bikes never never skimp on protection! ya got kids and wife bro to look after remember that, always come home in one peace, I'm sure ya know that:thumbsup:

Now get it done, go big or go home,

Merry Xmas!

Skate lids for skate kids,

oh I will wear a Piss Pot again but for what I was doing if I ever do that again it will be a full face just so ya know, sorry I don't mean to be the grinch, but I'd rather not see anyone else go down the same trail, headaches 24/7 even on drugs for a year aint much fun and that's not even taking the bones into account which are getting better!

Remember you're most vulnerable when you're most comfortable!

So get a decent lid, is my advice!

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
It's a conspiracy for you to have a different helmet for biking skating rollerblading snowboarding skiing, etc...

But.....

It's probably all to do with the "legalese" between standards (and some test they do) for sk8ting and biking. It probably comes down to doing some expensive test on the thing.

Did you see this?
http://www.helmets.org/skate.htm

I wanted to Rollerblade once with my bike helmet but I thought it was too ghey....Go figure!

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
lidarman said:
It's a conspiracy for you to have a different helmet for biking skating rollerblading snowboarding skiing, etc...
if true, then im a total dork. i know, big duh! ive got diff hats for xc, am/fr, dh and skiing. thank gawd i buy em in intervals so every 2 or 3 years im not buyin 4 new lids all at once. that reminds me.... time for a new giro fuse next season and my x2 is due for replacement before spring. the new athlon looks nice. the xen is good for another year and i just picked up this little beauty. finally a ff that fits my sub youth skull! so much better than the old round mad max. dont tell anyone i had to use the fit pads in a xs/s d2, ok?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I'd chuck it, or give it to some unruly skater kid in your neighborhood. those ones don't have the foam in them to absorb impacts, only the light-duty fitting foam.

FWIW, for $20 or so, my 661 dirtlid (the bike one) has been really nice. definitely worth the money, and saved my head in a few commuting crashes (yeah, they happen)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.