Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where to find a good one of these? I know harris cyclery has one, but I don't know anything about the quality. I want to convert my road bike into a fixie/single and at the same time learn to build wheels.

On an entirely seperate note, my quest for the 07 unit was foiled when they sold out for the year. I had emailed around a month ago asking, and they said they didn't know when or if it would be sold in the US. Now its gone?!? :confused: I'm getting a good deal on an 06, whatever.

·
*Hotter than Hell*
703 Posts
The Harris hubs are made by Formula, best hub for the money!
They will not fit your road bike, as they cannot be spaced to 130mm because of the short axle length. You will have to get the IRO hubs(made by Formula)or some other hubs that can/are spaced to 130mm.

·
Registered
49 Posts
totally_fixxated said:
The Harris hubs are made by Formula, best hub for the money!
They will not fit your road bike, as they cannot be spaced to 130mm because of the short axle length. You will have to get the IRO hubs(made by Formula)or some other hubs that can/are spaced to 130mm.
I second the vote for IRO flip flop hubs. I got a wheelset from them for my fixed commuter several months ago and it has been great. I do not recall what the standard spacing was for their hub, but they spaced it to 130 for me. IRO is a rock solid price performer.

·
What day are we riding?
1,076 Posts
Unless you are really set on building the wheels yourself, I would go with the complete wheelset from Iro for $189 as it is a great deal. By the time you spend $74 on hubs and then go buy the other parts you will pretty quickly reach $189.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
you could...

lucero said:
Anyone know where to find a good one of these? I know harris cyclery has one, but I don't know anything about the quality. I want to convert my road bike into a fixie/single and at the same time learn to build wheels.
Hey, you say you want to convert your road bike frame into SS...with a FLip FLop. Vert drops? SS without a tensioner?

Give this a try: http://whiteind.com/ENO_SS_hubs.html
You could order a 130mm version for road, slap on a track cog on one side, freehweel on the other. You're set.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It depends on what kind off bike you have, not all 80s frame are the same ofcourse, and its not to hard to measure that.

I was wondering what your plans are on actually building the wheel. I was lucky to be able to learn wheelbuilding the hard way at work a couple of years ago, and I've seen all possible options there. I have all the proper tools in my own workshop now 2 and Im simply not able to build a good wheel without those!

What is your plan on truiing the wheels?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Depends. Late 80's they started to switch. It's usually pretty easy to wiggle a 130 into 126 spacing. It's only 2mm on either side. Sure, your dropouts won't be exactly parallel but 2mm is not much and most dropouts are not exactly parallel anyway. I used to run 130 spacing in my 85 Cannonwhale road bike as a SS and later as a fixed gear. I'm now converting it to a TT bike with a 130 wheel. It doesn't just slip in but it goes in without muscling it. Most frames are not spaced exactly at 126 or 130 anyway. There's usually a mm or two variance. If your frame varies on the big side then it's really easy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.