Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
formerly Giantxc
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the next few weeks I'll be building up a new rear wheel for my steed and am planning on going with a Mavic 819 UST rim for use with rim brakes. I figure anything that reduces the chance of flatting with a bolt on hub is a good thing.

Anyone have any recommendations on a UST tire that will work well in both directions? IMHO it largely defeats the purpose of having a flip flop if you also have to reverse the tire direction.

I'm looking for a general use tire that is comfortable in mud (doesn't back up overly quick). Typical terrain is hard to medium pack with a good sprinkling of rocks and roots. I'd also like something pretty solid when put on edge. As a point of reference, for the last 3 years my prefered SS rear tire has been the Panaracer Smoke Classic.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
MrXC said:
In the next few weeks I'll be building up a new rear wheel for my steed and am planning on going with a Mavic 819 UST rim for use with rim brakes. I figure anything that reduces the chance of flatting with a bolt on hub is a good thing.

Anyone have any recommendations on a UST tire that will work well in both directions? IMHO it largely defeats the purpose of having a flip flop if you also have to reverse the tire direction.

I'm looking for a general use tire that is comfortable in mud (doesn't back up overly quick). Typical terrain is hard to medium pack with a good sprinkling of rocks and roots. I'd also like something pretty solid when put on edge. As a point of reference, for the last 3 years my prefered SS rear tire has been the Panaracer Smoke Classic.

Thanks,

Mike
  • Panaracer Fire XC 2.1 (not so good in mud)
  • Nokian NBX 2.1/2.3
  • Schwalbe Little Albert/Fat Albert 2.1/2.35
  • Schwalbe Skinny Jimmy/Big Jim 1.9/2.25
  • Michelin XL S 2.10 (works both ways)

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
MrXC said:
Thanks Shiggy & Andy,

Any thoughts on the Hutchinson Scorpion & IRC Serac? The tread design on both looked like they might have potential for flip-flop applications.

Mike
Both are more directional.

If you can wait a few months Hutchinson will have the new Bulldog UST tire in 2.1, 2.3 and 2.5. It is the replacement for the Mosquito. Square block, non-directional, taller and closer spacing. Looks very good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.