Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any word on whether or not it's still open? Or if you will get busted for trying to ride it? I've heard mixed reviews about the trail's status.... I was checking out some of the pics on mountainbikebill.com and it looks ridiculously amazing, total singletrack and catwalk heaven. I am heading to S.D. to visit a buddy and was thinking about hitting up the trail. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated thanks! :thumbsup:

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,929 Posts
Closed, torn down, and it doesn't exist.

It is fenced off and part of a preserve where all riding (I think all access) is banned.

But a nice alternative if you are down this way is La Costa or Calveras.

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/LaCosta.htm

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/CalveraLake.htm

It sucks that Flightline was pulled out from under us the way it was but it has led to a better organized group of pro-trial riders here. I guess that would be the silver lining in that cloud.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bankerboy said:
Closed, torn down, and it doesn't exist.

It is fenced off and part of a preserve where all riding (I think all access) is banned.

But a nice alternative if you are down this way is La Costa or Calveras.

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/LaCosta.htm

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/CalveraLake.htm

It sucks that Flightline was pulled out from under us the way it was but it has led to a better organized group of pro-trial riders here. I guess that would be the silver lining in that cloud.
Damn that's depressing, it looked amazing. Well thanks for the advise on the other two trails, I'll check um out

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
taffy15 said:
My heart goes pitter patter when I think back to sweeeet old Flightline. There was nothing like it and there hasn't been ever since.
WOW! This keeps getting more and more depressing haha great pics tho. That place looks amazing and yea there is nothing else like it around here at all

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,998 Posts
ocprerunner69 said:
WOW! This keeps getting more and more depressing haha great pics tho. That place looks amazing and yea there is nothing else like it around here at all
man that looks fun....time to bring it back and pull out the bolt cutters and tear down the fence

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
taffy15 said:
My heart goes pitter patter when I think back to sweeeet old Flightline. There was nothing like it and there hasn't been ever since.
Used to work across the street from flightline before someone made all the stunts there so I missed all the fun. I was able to ride pre-internet la costa and man, Nascar was so buff, smooth, and fruita like flowy back then.

·
Liaison
207 Posts
What is that? Stucco wire? Hmmmmmm. Kinda reminds me of... La Costa.

Never knew Flightline but if it hadn't a gotten ripped up I never woulda met Taffy. That woulda been sad indeed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CharacterZero said:
Without Flightline, I would have never gotten into riding (or wasting 4k posts worth of time on mtbr!)
Wish I could have had the joy of riding it once....it sounds like heaven

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Flightline was a great trail. Absolutely amazing. If I am remembering correctly the same guy that built the trails out of the Skatepark at Flightline also built the new trail at La Costa. You see some of the same details such as the chicken wire to avoid breaking bumps etc. Unfortunately La Costa is not nearly as technical as Flightline was. So depressing that it is gone...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Gardners Avatar reminds of this Dali-esque photo I snapped of a bicycle lot at my daughter's college:

Bet you're all lusting for one of those sweet rides . . .

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Salespunk said:
...... If I am remembering correctly the same guy that built the trails out of the Skatepark at Flightline also built the new trail at La Costa. ......
That same guy is known to lurk on these boards too :yesnod:

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Did they tear down ALL of the trails or only the stuff out of the skatepark? It would have been nearly impossible to close down the entire place.

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,929 Posts
From what I understand, ALL structures were removed. That would pretty much eliminate all the trails out of the skate park. There used to be a "save Flightline" website that had all the details but I cannot find it easily so I have no links. It may be dead too.

From what I remember, the conservancy group was very thorough in removing all structures including the bridges that crossed the steams. Many of the original trials may still be there but this is now a preserve so there is no legal access. If you look at the area on Google map or earth, about 80% was bulldozed for industrial buildings. The tiny remainder was set as the preserve to protect the endangered or threatened species.

There in lies the irony of the place. Allow the developers to come in and destroy most of it and close of the rest because it is now threatened environment. Genius! :madman:

I wouldn't chance it, but I don't live near it either. There is such a small percentage left, I doubt you would be able to get a decent ride in even if the area was legal to ride (currently not). La Costa, Calaveras, and Elfin Forrest are probably the closest legal options.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts