Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noob looking for a ride. I've been reading reviews here and elsewhere. Settled on Tassajara vs. Trek 6000 and went out yesterday to have a look. Seems every bike shop in America turned the 4th into a three-day weekend.

All but one. A shop down the road deals Haro and GT. To make a long story short I'm thinking about springing for a Haro Flightline Comp. The guy is offering me the bike at $530 which seems to be a great deal.

I haven't had a chance to demo the 16" that I'll need but he's bringing one in from another store tomorrow. Pre-sale tune-up with two years of free tune-ups and repairs parts-only. They've been around for years selling skis in the winter and bikes in the summer. I've bought from them 2.5 decades ago.

Any thoughts? Assuming the fit is right (as a noob, how will I know?) should I jump?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nachomc said:
What kind of riding do you plan to do?

If you're doing trail riding that bike should be great, especially at $350 (Haro site says MSRP is $690).
Multi-purpose. Carting it to the train station and riding to work and back on the other end. Roughly 8-10 miles round trip on downtown pavement.

Then some light trail and fire road riding once this old man's body can make it 2-3 miles without harfing.

Note: the deal is $530 not $350 but still pretty good I think. Based on my meager research over the past week my thinking is that I get a decent aluminum frame and the best components for the money. Upgrading later is always possible. The Comp seems to suit my reasoning. I guess I'm looking for a definitive reason why that's not a good bike to buy for the money (and hoping there isn't one. ;) )

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Hmm, I think I'll blame the transposing on lack of coffee. Sorry about that.

$530 is still a pretty great deal for the components on the bike. For what you're doing, it sounds good too. I just wanted to make sure you weren't dirt jumping it or something :)

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Nice bike for the money

Decent components and a balanced spec. The only shortcoming (and it's a common one on bikes in this price range) is the fork. That said, I've seen lower end forks on bikes in this range. if you like it after you test ride it, I say grab it. Very nice price.

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.