Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would there be any advantage to using a muscle relaxer such as Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine) for recovery after intensely strenuous riding (such as endurance races, epic rides, etc)? My thoughts are keeping the normal post-ride routine of eating and drinking what I should, when I should, then taking Flexeril before I go to bed to allow my muscles to completely relax to aid in the recovery process... possibly spend the next day in bed continuing to use this medication as well as eating/drinking all the "right stuff". Would this help? Would this hurt? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
616 Posts
I would say don't use it on a regular basis. Use it if you have muscle spasms associated with your training. According to my nursing drug guide full effect my not be felt for 1-2 weeks taking it on a daily basis. I did not know that little fact.

I'm looking at the drug guide as I type so I'll let you know what I see:

Action: reduction in muscle spasm and hyperactivity without "loss of function".
-may cause constipation, so increase your fluid intake.
-may cause urinary retention, my arch enemy.

-may cause dry mouth, drowsiness and dizziness (so it's good that you would take it when you went to sleep)- these are the main side effects.

My PCP once told me to take B vitamins when I was a heavy weight lifter, he said these would help muscles to relax. I tried it and did not have muscle problems. So, maybe it worked and maybe it didn't. If you want to know if your low on B vitamins, take one and the next time or two you go pee, look at the color of your urine. If it is straw yellow or clear, you were low on B vits, if it's orange/bright yellow, you were not low on B vits. I don't know if this wil help you or not, but you might give B vitamins a try before you use the Flexaril. After having been on so many drugs for cancer, I'm a firm believer in taking as few (none) meds as possible.

Just don't get addicted. Almost any drug has the potential for addiction.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Never heard of it as a performance enhancer...if you're going to do drugs, why not go all out and use the ones that are proven to work. fyi, when I took flexeril for a back problem I felt pretty weak the next day and I don't think laying in bed all day is a recipe for recovery.

·
Team BikeWood
161 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it

abegetchell said:
Would there be any advantage to using a muscle relaxer such as Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine) for recovery after intensely strenuous riding (such as endurance races, epic rides, etc)? My thoughts are keeping the normal post-ride routine of eating and drinking what I should, when I should, then taking Flexeril before I go to bed to allow my muscles to completely relax to aid in the recovery process... possibly spend the next day in bed continuing to use this medication as well as eating/drinking all the "right stuff". Would this help? Would this hurt? Any thoughts?
I wouldn't recommend using it on a regular basis. There are several potential problems with it, and I don't really see any benefit. If you have an acute muscle pull or strain, then cyclobenzaprine can help, but it's not something I'd use to help recover from a ride. In pharmacologic terms, it has a very long half-life. In layman's terms this means that the drug hangs around in the body for a long time. It can take several days for someone to completely excrete the drug from the body. Cyclobenzaprine doesn't act directly on skeletal muscle tissue but acts primarily within the central nervous system. It's also structurally related to tricyclic antidepressants such as Elavil (Amitriptyline) and it exhibits some similar effects. It can have some serious effects if mixed with certain other drugs and / or alcohol. There is also the potential for abuse, as well as other possible problems such as increased heart rate, urinary retention/constipation and dizziness. I'd say do all the "right stuff" to recover, and skip the unnecessary drugs that have not been proven beneficial.

·
bleeding eventually stops
251 Posts
Umm I give it a big nyet

While it's a pretty decent drug for treating muscle spasm, and relatively safe, it won't do much good if you're not actually in spasm other than make you goofy. While it may help you sleep, long term use will likely give you a sleep disorder. Probably insomnia.
Muscle spasms involve a reflex arc between your muscles and central nervous system. Flexeril acts centrally to reduce this feedback and hence treat the spasm. It really will do nothing to the basic metabolic events which contribute to muscle recovery. Hydration is imperitive. Amino acids and proteins are very important. Also reducing inflammation may help in recovery particularly if you got injured or just have a few more creaks than when you were a pup. Ice is great, ibuprofen if it's more serious. (Avoid habitual use of ibuprofen too, it can box your kidneys.)
I find it odd that someone mentioned that it can take 1-2 weeks to take effect. It's counterindicated for longer than 2-3 weeks. Personally if it really is spasm diazepam in my experience works faster and treats spasm acutely better.
If you are having spasms regularly you need to get at the underlying cause of the spasm, not just treating the symptom itself. Electrolytes tend to be the most common culprit, particularly potassium. But there is a laundry list of potential causes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
2 beers works better and you do not need a prescription. A BT would put it to shame.

I am taking Flexeril now because I seperated my shoulder and I don't think it does squat. I think it is really more for spasms than anything. If you are having spasms then maybe but if you are just trying to relax - rem sleep is the best medicine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.