Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided that a bar with more sweep than a standard riser bar might be more comfortable. The sweep on the mary bar seems like it might be a little extreme, but its a riser. The fleagle is a flat bar and seems like it has a more natural sweep. Is there any advantage to staying with a riser bar aside from not having to maybe add spacers? Anyone out there tried both, or something similar, that might be able to give input?

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
I have both bars and for my bikes and my posture on the bike, I prefer the Mary over the Fleegle. Here's why:
- The fact that the Mary is technically a riser is irrelevant. If set up properly, you'd tilt bar downwards toward the rear anyway, i.e. the tips of the bars are tilted towards your rear dropouts. That offers a very comfortable - some would argue 'natural' - hand position.
- The Fleegle is very wide - much wider than the Mary - and would fit better if your frame has a shorter-than-normal effective top tube. Because the bars are so wide, the farther your hands are apart and that means that it'll make you lean forward a bit more. If you have a short top tube, or use an extremely short stem, you'll correct for this position.

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
ssbn742 said:
I've decided that a bar with more sweep than a standard riser bar might be more comfortable. The sweep on the mary bar seems like it might be a little extreme, but its a riser. The fleagle is a flat bar and seems like it has a more natural sweep. Is there any advantage to staying with a riser bar aside from not having to maybe add spacers? Anyone out there tried both, or something similar, that might be able to give input?
I've had both, and the Fleegle won out. The Mary had too much sweep for me. Out of the package the Fleegle may be wider than the Mary, but just cut an inch off each end like I did and suddenly you've got a 26" wide flat bar with perfect sweep.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anyone else?

Thanks for the responses guys.
Does anyone else have any input? I've gotten one response saying go Mary and one saying go Fleagle. A best 2 out of 3 one way or the other would suffice. Or should I just flip a coin, head's Mary or tail's Fleagle?

·
What's the Hurry?
95 Posts
Hi,
I tried the mary's and found that when I had the angle set for seated riding ie. pointed to the rear dropouts they were very comfortable, however, when I stood to honk the bars were at the wrong angle and needed to be flatter ie. pointed to the top of the seat tube. I never did find a comfortable position/angle for both. The other thing that annoyed me was that I wanted to ride with my hands in the bend when hammering on fire roads but the brake lever clamp and body was in the way and felt wrong, this would probably not be a problem with the jj h-bar which the mary imitates. Not tried the fleegle yet as the used on-one 29er i just aquired has not arrived yet, will give you an opinion if this thread is still alive in a week or so...
Cheers D

·
R I D E S T E E L
646 Posts
I've had both and prefer the Fleegles. I found the ride to be a bit squirrely over real techy stuff with the Mary's, especially if there was a turn with a little speed along with roots, etc. I also though they were a touch narrow. I went with the Fleegles and really like them. I cut an inch off of each side and they're still plenty wide. Good and low for a 29er. I like them much better over logs and such as well. I think the Mary's had just a little too much bend. I said more than a couple times that I wish they were more like 25 degrees or so.

But, lots of folks love 'em, so why change. I'm glad the Fleegles are around for the rest of us.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.