Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Rippin da fAt
8,762 Posts
Hello friends. Would appreciate some help from you. I’m currently wearing Bontrager Flatlines. They’re comfortable for my wide feet and perform well on long pin flats. But they have a very low amount of protection in that the sole is very flexible and my feet hurt, especially after a descent.

Any recommendations for other flats that might suit wide feet?

thanks. :)
Flats... My bike doesn't wanna hear that term! :nono:

·
Registered
156 Posts
five ten freeriders. i struggle to fit in E width shoes, the five 10 spitfire has been my casual shoe for years but they havent released a new one. Freerider canvas is now my casual shoe with freerider pro for riding. Freerider sole is nice and stuff so better as a riding shoe but not as good a casual shoe as the spitfire.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have wide feet, with my right being noticeably wider than my left. 5.10 Freeriders seem to fit me pretty well at size. Other shoes I tend to have to size up, especially with race-style clipless shoes with harder boots. I have to do the online gamble where I am at as well and it can be annoying.
Thanks - a couple of recommendations for the Freeriders and Impacts. Must be something to it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hi again. I thought I’d provide an update and say thank you to all who contributed to the thread. It’s been quite a learning experience. I picked up the Shimano GR701’s and have had 3 good rides in them.

I’m not getting the foot pain that I was before. The sole is much stiffer than the old Bontragers. This has had some other unexpected benefits. There is definitely better power transfer. I realise that I used a lot of extra energy squishing rubber while humping up those hills. The firmer sole is also more stable when leaning the bike in corners. It doesn’t squirm on the pedal.

The Shimano’s have slightly better grip than the Bontrager Flatlines. But I consider both to be good. I do like a shoe that allows some foot adjustment though - not so much the super glue models.

I also had my foot measured and found out that my foot is only marginally wider. It’s my high arch that needs the extra volume in shoes.

One thing about the Shimano’s is the lack of padding in the upper, which is a bit of a design flaw I think. Thick socks help with the comfort. Also I think the US$139 price was a bit high, but if they survive the test of time then all good. Take it easy.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,054 Posts
Weird. I got (EP) a pair of Spec 2FOs and they were way narrow.
What you said. I have super narrow feet and the 2FOs work well for me.

An extremely sturdy, comfortable shoe.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,054 Posts
The title of this thread sounds like a bad country song lyric.
"My shoes done left me for wider feet

My Merle Haggard 8-track is stuck on repeat

I got flats but only on my truck

Sad to say but it looks like I'm f****d."

·
Registered
71 Posts
To you Freerider wearers:

I've never worn Freeriders, are the Freerider Pros worth the extra $50 over the Freerider canvas? I can't seem to find what the big differences are. Any fit differences? I have wide feet, Keen wide hiking boots fit perfect. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just bought a pair of regular Freeriders (not pro) and I thought I’d post this in case anyone finds it useful. My foot is really wide at the ball, I typically need to buy wide shoes. The hiking boot is a Keen US 12 wide and the Freerider is a US 12D. The freerider is surprisingly wide for being a D. They are quite comfortable out of the box, guessing they will get better when they break in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello friends. Would appreciate some help from you. I’m currently wearing Bontrager Flatlines. They’re comfortable for my wide feet and perform well on long pin flats. But they have a very low amount of protection in that the sole is very flexible and my feet hurt, especially after a descent.

Any recommendations for other flats that might suit wide feet?

thanks. :)
Spec 2F0 were the best so far outside of the original 5.10 Freeride (too damn heavy, got soaked and a tongue thick as a mattress).

I want to try the Fizik Gravita series. They seem promising.

Bontrager,5-10 Freerider Pro and Ride Concepts didn’t work for me. Tried them all.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts