Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends. Would appreciate some help from you. I’m currently wearing Bontrager Flatlines. They’re comfortable for my wide feet and perform well on long pin flats. But they have a very low amount of protection in that the sole is very flexible and my feet hurt, especially after a descent.

Any recommendations for other flats that might suit wide feet?

thanks. :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a 11 1/2 E foot, and have run Race Face Atlas on one bike for about 5 years and liked them allot, UNTIL, I got a pair of One Up composites on a new bike. The One Up's are better at 1/3 of the price. How? Why? I do not know, they just feel better. Subconsciously, I'm sure the price has something to do with it, but I really think the One Up's work better for me.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hello friends. Would appreciate some help from you. I’m currently wearing Bontrager Flatlines. They’re comfortable for my wide feet and perform well on long pin flats. But they have a very low amount of protection in that the sole is very flexible and my feet hurt, especially after a descent.

Any recommendations for other flats that might suit wide feet?

thanks. :)
I have wider than usual get and like you found the Flatlines for really well. I've tried since

Ride concepts powerline - fit well, true to size, grippy but sole more flexible than Flatlines
5ten freerider pro - ran small to size, quite narrow. Stiffer and grippier than Flatlines
Northwave clan - runs slightly large (long) to size, decent volume and comfortable, a little heavy. I'd say close to equal grip with 5ten freerider pro but much stiffer (almost too stiff at times)

·
Registered
Lone Wolf
2,561 Posts
I rode the Specialized 2FO for a long time. I have wide feet and even I felt like I was swimming in those things. They lasted forever too, I rode them hard for probably 3 seasons and only got rid of them because I wanted to try something new.

This was a while back. Not sure if they have changed, but I have a problem with a lot of racerboi shoes being too skinny for my fat duck feet. The 2FOs worked really well for me.

·
Registered
Keep things simple
290 Posts
I have D width feet and need a wide toebox. After some trial and error I found Lake brand. The stiffer bottoms work fine on my flats.

I have been seen in low cut work boots that are stiff and have a hard toe. Dorky but effective.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Giro Jackets are pretty wide.

I don't know for sure, but I would bet that the Etnies MTB shoes are wide (Merana Mid Crank). Most skate shoes are, and that's the DNA for Etnies.

The 5.10 Sleuths are NOT wide. My wife just bought me a pair, and they're fairly narrow.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
I rode the Specialized 2FO for a long time. I have wide feet and even I felt like I was swimming in those things...
Weird. I got (EP) a pair of Spec 2FOs and they were way narrow. I couldn't/didn't wear them and wound up selling them to a friend who they fit great and had trouble finding shoes because his feet were narrow. That was like 4 years ago so things might have changed.

I found the Shimano shoes I've tried and wear to run wider than many other brands. Fit-wise, they work well for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Same problem here, wide feet plus a bunion on my right foot which makes it even wider.
I have found that 5.10 Freeriders a half size too big work out pretty well.

·
Registered
Keep things simple
290 Posts
:thumbsup:One other thought. An obvious but gotta say it:rolleyes:. Check return policy and save receipts. I have found LBSs sometimes are low in stock or may be in a crunch of sorts and have limited return flexibility. Same for some of the online sellers. Sometimes suppliers have stock problems too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have wider than usual get and like you found the Flatlines for really well. I've tried since

Ride concepts powerline - fit well, true to size, grippy but sole more flexible than Flatlines
5ten freerider pro - ran small to size, quite narrow. Stiffer and grippier than Flatlines
Northwave clan - runs slightly large (long) to size, decent volume and comfortable, a little heavy. I'd say close to equal grip with 5ten freerider pro but much stiffer (almost too stiff at times)
thanks. I can try on the RC Hellions locally so will give them a go.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:thumbsup:One other thought. An obvious but gotta say it:rolleyes:. Check return policy and save receipts. I have found LBSs sometimes are low in stock or may be in a crunch of sorts and have limited return flexibility. Same for some of the online sellers. Sometimes suppliers have stock problems too.

Very good idea. Maybe the only way to check out different options (at least for size) especially when sizes in shops are so sporadic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Weird. I got (EP) a pair of Spec 2FOs and they were way narrow. I couldn't/didn't wear them and wound up selling them to a friend who they fit great and had trouble finding shoes because his feet were narrow. That was like 4 years ago so things might have changed.

I found the Shimano shoes I've tried and wear to run wider than many other brands. Fit-wise, they work well for me.
I’ve found a lbs with my size GR701 - will check it out this weekend. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have D width feet and need a wide toebox. After some trial and error I found Lake brand. The stiffer bottoms work fine on my flats.

I have been seen in low cut work boots that are stiff and have a hard toe. Dorky but effective.
Confess I didn’t even know about this brand but great to see they even have specific wide models. Can’t see flats only clips though?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I don't know for sure, but I would bet that the Etnies MTB shoes are wide (Merana Mid Crank). Most skate shoes are, and that's the DNA for Etnies.

The 5.10 Sleuths are NOT wide. My wife just bought me a pair, and they're fairly narrow.
Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Hadn’t thought of Etnies but will add them to the shortlist and try to get a peek :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Same problem here, wide feet plus a bunion on my right foot which makes it even wider.
I have found that 5.10 Freeriders a half size too big work out pretty well.
Thanks. It’s been impossible to get specific Five Ten models in the right size here to try for size (local and online). I’ll keep my eye out but I’ve pretty much given up.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have wide feet, with my right being noticeably wider than my left. 5.10 Freeriders seem to fit me pretty well at size. Other shoes I tend to have to size up, especially with race-style clipless shoes with harder boots. I have to do the online gamble where I am at as well and it can be annoying.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,786 Posts
The title of this thread sounds like a bad country song lyric.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts