Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently switched to flats and I'm looking for a pedal that can handle some abuse. I'm currently riding the Wellgo's which had a good price tag but I noticed the pegs are not standing up to rock garden abuse. I've ripped out about 30% of the pegs in a way that they cannot be replaced. Soon these pedals will be unusable. Are there any pedals out there that can handle rock garden abuse? Anything where the pegs can replaced if they get damaged or ripped out?

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I've had a set of Premium Slim's for about 18 mos now and they've handled regular abuse here in Phoenix. The pins thread in from the inside so even when they get banged up it's easy to replace them. They're also a nice low profile so I don't hit very often.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,005 Posts
depends upon the amount of rockgardens and severity of the terrain.....but if your pedals are over a year old,....then just buy the same if you like them

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Alot of pedals will last longer than the wellgo mg's.

One soloution that kills two birds with one stone is to get the canfields.

they are slimmer so you won't clip your pedals as often and the pins are all easily replaceable. they can tread in or out either direction because the pin goes all the way through the pedal.

i have had good luck with corsair pedals as well which are pretty much the same thing as kona wah wah's. they both have little allen bolts that screw in from the opposite side and seem to be alot stronger. i have never lost a pin or even bent one.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Azonic fusions. They're $25, stick like hell, and the pins don't shred out too easily. I've had mine for about a year now and they have only lost 2 pins per pedal. Easy to take apart and service, plus at $25 it isn't too expensive if they actually break. And riding in SLO they get their share of rocks

·
Justin Vander Pol
1,678 Posts
I've got several pair of Wellgo MG1s, and have ripped out a few pins. I drill out the hole, and then thread in a stainless steel pan-head wood screw from the bottom, then hack saw or Dremel off the screw to the desired height. Lasts forever like this.

You'll find that only a couple of the pins take hits on a regular basis, so once you've replaced the three or four most vulnerable pins, you're good to go.

·
Registered
461 Posts
ccspecialized said:
Azonic fusions. They're $25, stick like hell, and the pins don't shred out too easily. I've had mine for about a year now and they have only lost 2 pins per pedal. Easy to take apart and service, plus at $25 it isn't too expensive if they actually break. And riding in SLO they get their share of rocks
There aren't any rocks in SLO cause there isn't any mountain biking in SLO.

Also don't dont' dont' get welgo mag pedals if they will be hitting rocks. A buddy of mine who used to ride had some and the pedal bodies actually broke off from hitting rocks, but then again he was a hack.

I run DMR V-12s, steel not mag, they've been holding up pretty well.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I use flats for 99% of my riding. A-Labs is all I have ever run & I can't complain. They earned a workhorse status for me. I'm sure there are better designs... Mine just won't fully die ever so I can try them.
Good pedals = thinner, parallelogram w/ swept outer angles to deflect off rocks/logs. With regard to pins don't sweat how razor sharp they are. 5.10s (love em) will work well w/ pretty dull pins. Dull may also help a bit when skipping of rocks, logs & legs. I lean towards the thicker pins that screw through the pedal body.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
woodyak said:
Thanks guys! I just ordered a set of Straightlines. Speedgoat has a pretty good sale on them right now. Can't wait to try them out. Looks like snow is in my forecast though :(
Nice, that is what my next set of flats will be, I think...drooling over them now.

Really, that pricing at $106 is excellent, about $20 over cost. Hard to find them cheaper anywhere, even used.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts