Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put 700 miles on my 2011 Stumpy 29er Comp; combination of paved paths and fire trails. I have Renegade tires, cheng shin 700x52/47 thin tubes. No flats!

Las Wed, I got my first flat in Alum Rock park, patched it and found a second hole after remounting. The first hole had an obvious thorn but nothing on the second.

So yesterday I'm on a 27 miler, paved (Coyote Creek Trail) almost crash making a turn because the front tire and gone soft, pulled over and patched it, only had 1 CO2 cart so it was pretty soft but I had to make it home. It went flat last night and today after putting on a second patch and having it go flat, I found 2 more holes totalling 4 !!!!

Could the additional holes be from riding on very low pressure?

I like keeping the weight down and have been lucky all spring/summer so did I screw up by riding w/ low pressure?

Any reccommendations for tubes w/o going the whole slime route, etc?

thx

bob

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
You probably have a thorn in there still... maybe you can't feel it because it is below the carcass' surface, and only sticks up when the tire is inflated and flexed with weight on it.

Not sure what to tell you other than track where the puncture happens and patch it.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,016 Posts
You probably have a thorn in there still... maybe you can't feel it because it is below the carcass' surface, and only sticks up when the tire is inflated and flexed with weight on it.

Not sure what to tell you other than track where the puncture happens and patch it.
This is when it pays off to mount your tire with the logo aligned on the valve stem. If it was the same thorn it would make the same hole every time and be very easy to find.

Except I think you're about to get moderated over to the wheels and tires page.

-F

·
mountain biker
535 Posts
Also check your rim strip. it could have shifted a bit to allow your tube to get into the spoke holes and get cut by the end of the spokes. I'll also echo the first response that says to really, really pay attention to the inside of the tire. I once found a speck of glass so small I couldn't see it. I only found it after searching for it for (what felt like) hours with my finger tips.... good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts