Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know the widest carbon flat bar with more than 5 degress sweep?

Looking for over 610mm. My monkey arms require a low front end and I would rather not run a riser with a flipped stem. I have a specialized wide boy(9 deg, 620mm) that I like but am looking to upgrade to carbon for weight and dampening

I have searched but can't find anything, maybe salsa will make one soon.

·
Registered
798 Posts
We will be making one soon

KaiMana said:
Does any one know the widest carbon flat bar with more than 5 degress sweep?

Looking for over 610mm. My monkey arms require a low front end and I would rather not run a riser with a flipped stem. I have a specialized wide boy(9 deg, 620mm) that I like but am looking to upgrade to carbon for weight and dampening

I have searched but can't find anything, maybe salsa will make one soon.
We have proto types of a 660 x 11 degree. You can cut it if you want shorter. It has passed fatigue testing and we are working on impact testing. If all goes as planned, we should have them in Late March/Early April. I know that's a ways off, but just letting you know.

Jason
Salsa

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
Salsa Cycles said:
We have proto types of a 660 x 11 degree. You can cut it if you want shorter. It has passed fatigue testing and we are working on impact testing. If all goes as planned, we should have them in Late March/Early April. I know that's a ways off, but just letting you know.

Jason
Salsa
Great news, Jason! I am loving my Pro-Moto 11 degree bar right now, but would be super interested in carbon. Do you have any guestimates on the weight and price point? I can start saving up! :D

OGG

·
This place needs an enema
16,916 Posts
Syntace

KaiMana said:
Does any one know the widest carbon flat bar with more than 5 degress sweep? I have searched but can't find anything...
I've got a few of the Syntace VRO Carbon on different bikes. 630mm wide with sweep of 12 or 16*. All the info is here:
http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=382

I use mine with 'normal' stems too, and have for the last 3 years.

MC

·
Registered
798 Posts
weight

OneGearGuy said:
Great news, Jason! I am loving my Pro-Moto 11 degree bar right now, but would be super interested in carbon. Do you have any guestimates on the weight and price point? I can start saving up! :D

OGG
Weights from our first prototypes were in the 140 gram area. Some were below. Some were above. We are making a few final tweaks to the shape and tapers, but I'm guessing that it still should be right in this weight area.

Price? We have not finalized an MSRP yet.

Jason

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Salsa Cycles said:
Weights from our first prototypes were in the 140 gram area. Some were below. Some were above. We are making a few final tweaks to the shape and tapers, but I'm guessing that it still should be right in this weight area.

Price? We have not finalized an MSRP yet.

Jason
What about a 28" heavier duty version for us adult-sized people out there?

(Like the Easton DH version that is approx. 220 grams....)

·
Registered
798 Posts
A good idea and a question

Padre said:
What about a 28" heavier duty version for us adult-sized people out there?

(Like the Easton DH version that is approx. 220 grams....)
Padre, I think that is a good idea, but have a question. Why would someone want a 220 gram carbon bar when you can make an alloy one at the same weight for half the price? And with 220 grams of carbon, it would ride just like an aluminum bar. I personally believe carbon bars are more comfortable, but I have ridden the Easton DH version on my freeride bike and it felt just like an aluminum riser bar.

I'm really curious what others think?

Jason

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
Salsa Cycles said:
Padre, I think that is a good idea, but have a question. What would someone want a 220 gram carbon bar when you can make an alloy one at the same weight for half the price? And with 220 grams of carbon, it would ride just like an aluminum bar. I personally believe carbon bars are more comfortable, but I have ridden the Easton DH version on my freeride bike and it felt just like an aluminum riser bar.

Jason
Thanks for the honest info. I love the fact that you and other cool industry guys are a part of this forum and chime in with news and are open to our input. I think you hit the nail on the head with your above explanation about heavier carbon...
I like how it looks, but I really like how it rides. And less weight is nothing to complain about, unless it lightens my wallet beyond a realistic point. :D
Running a rigid singlespeed has me looking at more resilient bars, forks, stems, grips, front tires, etc. I am certainly excited about this new bar!
OGG/Adam

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Salsa Cycles said:
Padre, I think that is a good idea, but have a question. What would someone want a 220 gram carbon bar when you can make an alloy one at the same weight for half the price? And with 220 grams of carbon, it would ride just like an aluminum bar. I personally believe carbon bars are more comfortable, but I have ridden the Easton DH version on my freeride bike and it felt just like an aluminum riser bar.

Jason
Valid points Jason.
But, the ONLY way I can ride rigid is using a carbon bar.
Alu just plain beats the snot out of me.
Carbon, even the DH version smooths the vibes out enough to survive.

But, I would likely tear the ProMotos apart, I've tooled around on my wifes carbon pro motos (she has two) and they flex a bit under my weight.

Perhaps Niner got it right with the steel 28" flat bar. I've only ridden it with a shock though, so I can't really tell. But they are 260 grams.

So you are right. Maybe carbon isn't the way to go. But the Easton DH bars are 28" and 220grams....delicious if they were flat!

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Salsa Cycles said:

Jason
Valid points Jason.

But, I would likely tear the ProMotos apart, I've tooled around on my wifes carbon pro motos (she has two) and they flex a bit under my weight.

Perhaps Niner got it right with the steel 28" flat bar. I've only ridden it with a shock though, so I can't really tell. But they are 260 grams.

So you are right. Maybe carbon isn't the way to go. But the Easton DH bars are 28" and 220grams....delicious if they were flat!

·
Registered
798 Posts
A few comments

Padre said:
Valid points Jason.

Padre, I absolutely agree that carbon is so much more comfortable if used appropriately. That said, I do believe a 220 gram flat carbon bar would ride almost the same as a properly designed Al flat bar. I'll go out on a limb and even though I haven't met you in person nor have I ridden with you to understand your needs, I think what you may be asking for is really about 180-190gram wide carbon flat bar. Unfortunately, we just don't have that happening right now. We'll have something in that area, but it won't be flat.

Regarding your wifes ProMoto Carbon, thanks to you and Madre for supporting Salsa! You'll have to come and say hello this year at Sea Otter.

Steel Bars. They are nice. I've ridden the Surly Torsion bar extensively. They feel pretty good, but still not carbon. Granted, they have a different design philosophy than Niner.

Anyway, keep those comments and ideas coming.

Jason

·
Registered
804 Posts
mikesee said:
I've got a few of the Syntace VRO Carbon on different bikes. 630mm wide with sweep of 12 or 16*. All the info is here:
http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=382

I use mine with 'normal' stems too, and have for the last 3 years.

MC
Uh, Mike, did you check the price on that thing. I had my wallet in hand before I saw "139,00" Euro! 16 degree carbon would be sooooo badass, but not for that kind of money.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Funny

OneGearGuy said:
Thanks for the honest info. I love the fact that you and other cool industry guys are a part of this forum and chime in with news and are open to our input.

Obviously, you haven't met me. I can't believe that the other folks on this board that know me haven't attempted to set you straight. They are probably still on the floor laughing.

That said, I do love bike parts & riding and this forum is great because I can legitimately look at MTBR and respond to posts while at work!

Thanks again for the support.

Jason

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,833 Posts
almost as nonresilent as aluminum

Salsa Cycles said:
Padre, I think that is a good idea, but have a question. Why would someone want a 220 gram carbon bar when you can make an alloy one at the same weight for half the price? And with 220 grams of carbon, it would ride just like an aluminum bar. I personally believe carbon bars are more comfortable, but I have ridden the Easton DH version on my freeride bike and it felt just like an aluminum riser bar.

Jason
I had to give up my joystick, the OS Titec Pluto for a Easton DH when I got a DUC. The Titec wasn't as jarring and has more sweep. The XC Easton bars are too short and too whippy for me and going back to aluminum lasted for two rides.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Salsa Cycles said:
Padre, I absolutely agree that carbon is so much more comfortable if used appropriately. That said, I do believe a 220 gram flat carbon bar would ride almost the same as a properly designed Al flat bar. I'll go out on a limb and even though I haven't met you in person nor have I ridden with you to understand your needs, I think what you may be asking for is really about 180-190gram wide carbon flat bar. Unfortunately, we just don't have that happening right now. We'll have something in that area, but it won't be flat.

Regarding your wifes ProMoto Carbon, thanks to you and Madre for supporting Salsa! You'll have to come and say hello this year at Sea Otter.

Steel Bars. They are nice. I've ridden the Surly Torsion bar extensively. They feel pretty good, but still not carbon. Granted, they have a different design philosophy than Niner.

Anyway, keep those comments and ideas coming.

Jason
OH yes, we're supporting Salsa. I've failed to mention the 3 other sets of bars we have. I have the 5 degree alu's on my Leviathan, another set in the parts in, and I sold the 11 degree set to Kam. =) And lets not forget the bijillion pair of skewers and tubes!

The flatties are a godsend for Madre's fit on a 29" bike.

We both came by the Salsa booth this year! Madre desperately needed a flat bar for her endurance SS race on her as yet unridden Niner. We talked to the grumpy old guy.
Chris/Steve found us an ultra-low rise alu bar from some random manuf. to use in the race. Since then, we've found the Pro Moto's and she's used them since! Then I added a pair to her Leviathan too.. they just work so well. (we wouldn't mind an OS version either while you're at it. That way we can take off the Marzocchi DH shim ;) )

·
Registered
361 Posts
Padre try Ti

Jason will probably grill me for this, but I'll go ahead anyway. Padre, if the Carbon is to light and Aluminum to Rigid, try a Ti bar. Seven will make custom bends, lengths, and tubing choices for their custom bars. Yes, they are pricy in the 140/150 range, but they will basically made whatever you want. I just recently asked them to build a 17 degree bar, 680mm wide with a .045 wall tubing. They generally use .035, but after riding a jones for a while, I wanted a little stiffer bar.

Anyway, just a suggestion.

·
HIKE!
1,657 Posts
660mm 11 degree Pro Moto is a good bar for me....

....and a same shape Ti or Carbon bar would just be all the more blingy. Bring it. I like to leave steerer tubes uncut (better resale later on, fits any bike size) and so a riser bar is usually not necessary to get my hands up where I want them. Sounds like lots of folks here like them to get their hands lower still.

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
JMKM said:
Jason will probably grill me for this, but I'll go ahead anyway. Padre, if the Carbon is to light and Aluminum to Rigid, try a Ti bar. Seven will make custom bends, lengths, and tubing choices for their custom bars. Yes, they are pricy in the 140/150 range, but they will basically made whatever you want. I just recently asked them to build a 17 degree bar, 680mm wide with a .045 wall tubing. They generally use .035, but after riding a jones for a while, I wanted a little stiffer bar.

Anyway, just a suggestion.
Gotta second the ti recommendation. I've got a Titec Hellion bar that rides very nicely - I like it much better than carbon. Plus, it's metal!

JMKM - that sounds like a sweet bar you are having done up...be sure to post pics...

LP

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.