Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Still New
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was out on a fire trail today and encountered my first flat. I've never had to do a flat repair before, but today I had to figure it out. Wasn't so bad except for trying to get the dang tire on and off the rim. I had two holes, each on the opposite side of the tube so I had to put on two patches, one each each side.

So I'm wondering now that I've patched it, should I replace the tube or should this be okay to ride on with the patches? I've got a spare tube if I need to put it in, but it was a pain getting that tire off the first time lol and I'd hate to do it again. Actually, it wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for all the mosquitos and gnats.

I even have a couple tubes in my old walmart mongoose still. Can probably use those. Think I outta swap the tube?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I always ride on patched tubes but have a new one as a spare.

Getting a tire on and off is fairly easy. Google you tube for a video. There are a couple of things you can to do to make it easier.

·
Still New
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had watched a video about it probably 4 months ago but I must have forgotten the proper technique. Trying to use my tire tool and kept banging my knuckles on the spokes. then trying to figure out how to work the pump was somewhat of a challenge as well. But eventually got the job done.

I'm sure it won't be the last time I'll have to patch a tube.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also had my first flat the other day.... I carry a patch kit and spare tube but I did not attempt to repair the tube trail side. Puncture was caused by a thorn which I removed then I just swapped out the tubes and repaired the 'old' one when I got back home. No mosquitoes or things that bite :thumbsup:

Also learned another lesson: Take some of these 'wet wipes' with you in your pack - great for wiping off chain lube after you remove/replace the rear wheel! I forgot...and ended up with dirty hands for the rest of my ride. :madman:

Another note... I was amazed at how flimsy the tyres seemed to be! I read about these 'folding' type tyres and thought yeah right.....:rolleyes: but now I understand what the hell they are talking about. When I think back to how difficult tyres were to change when I was a lad....we had it tough in the old days ;)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Were the holes in the tube together about an inch apart? If so, it was probably what's referred to as a "snake bite" or pinch flat and it's from running too low pressure and the tube gets pinched between the rim and the object you hit, likely a rock or log.

Changing the tube gets easier with time. You just have to be careful not to pinch the tube with your tire lever. Do you have two tire levers or just one. Two makes things much easier if you have a tire that is tough to get off.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I also had my first flat the other day.... I carry a patch kit and spare tube but I did not attempt to repair the tube trail side. Puncture was caused by a thorn which I removed then I just swapped out the tubes and repaired the 'old' one when I got back home. No mosquitoes or things that bite :thumbsup:

Also learned another lesson: Take some of these 'wet wipes' with you in your pack - great for wiping off chain lube after you remove/replace the rear wheel! I forgot...and ended up with dirty hands for the rest of my ride. :madman:

Another note... I was amazed at how flimsy the tyres seemed to be! I read about these 'folding' type tyres and thought yeah right.....:rolleyes: but now I understand what the hell they are talking about. When I think back to how difficult tyres were to change when I was a lad....we had it tough in the old days ;)
Amazing ain't it? Until 2 years ago I hadn't changed a bicycle tire in probably 15 years. Back then I did plenty of BMX tires and also old 27" road tires and man were they a pain in the a%$. It was best to lay them in the hot sun for hours first and it still took serious tire irons (or screwdrivers) to get them on and off. First time I saw one of these tires folded up in a box I freaked out. And the plastic tire "irons" made me laugh. I have changed several MTB and BMX tires over the last few years and seldom used any tools at all, bare hands do the job just fine.

·
Still New
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, the holes were about an inch apart or so. The punctures were really tiny. Almost like I ran over a nail or something. I've heard the term "pinch flat" but never really understood how it can happen. Did kinda resemble a snakebite. Teeny punctures, one toward the top of the tube and the other near the bottom. I have semi slick tires, kenda k885s I think, so I try to run with low pressure so I can try to get the knobs on the side to contact the trail.

As for the levers, I've got two of them and had to use both to get the tire off. Lucky me, the flat was on the front. I don't think I would have been comfortable taking off the rear. With all those cogs and the derailleur and the chain, it's a bit intimidating. I'd do it if I have to, but Looks like it would be allot harder.

·
Registered
28 Posts
"bare hands do the job just fine."

Exactly! I only used the lever for first/last bit just at the valve stem...taking care to push the valve in slightly to make a bit of space for the lever.

I remember my mother getting mad at me because I used her 'best' spoons to get the job done back in the days when tyre levers were a luxury.
aaaaaah ....the good ol days.... and they say elephants never forget :thumbsup:

·
Still New
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crash, I see in your sig that you have a cliff 4900. How do you like that bike? That's the same one I'm running on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, the holes were about an inch apart or so. The punctures were really tiny. Almost like I ran over a nail or something. I've heard the term "pinch flat" but never really understood how it can happen. Did kinda resemble a snakebite. Teeny punctures, one toward the top of the tube and the other near the bottom. I have semi slick tires, kenda k885s I think, so I try to run with low pressure so I can try to get the knobs on the side to contact the trail.

As for the levers, I've got two of them and had to use both to get the tire off. Lucky me, the flat was on the front. I don't think I would have been comfortable taking off the rear. With all those cogs and the derailleur and the chain, it's a bit intimidating. I'd do it if I have to, but Looks like it would be allot harder.

I'm sure someone with more experience than me will also comment...but I would guess that the reason you got the puncture was because the pressures were too low. Maybe not the right tyres for the job?

·
Registered
581 Posts
That's my sons bike, just got it Tuesday so its a little early to say too much yet. Its actually a 2010 model that I got off Ebay and its quite a bit better equipped than the 2011 model. Every other Bikesdirect bike I looked at improved in 2011 over 2010 specs. The 2010 has Deore LX rear derailleur and Deore shifters for 27 speeds and a Dart2 fork (non lockout though). The drive train is actually all one or two steps up the line from 2011 spec. Needless to say I am thrilled with Deore/XT level components for $380! But the graphics drive me crazy, it looks like it sais cli6f instead of Cliff.

Edit: also has WTB Velociraptor tires, though I have no idea how those compare to your Kendas.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Guess I should have said slightly better speced than the 2011 model. I thought the 2011 had a Dart1 but it actually has Dart2 plus lockout. And this years SLX derailleur might be just as good as last years XT due to trickle down technology. And I have no idea wether a Truvativ Isoflow crank is better or a Truvativ 5D.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have you thought about using tubeless tyres? If you fill them with Stan's sealant you may probably never get a puncture again!

·
Still New
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, the kenda k885s I'm running are semi-slicks. I'm not sure the velociraptors would work for me because I do ride on the side of the road quite frequently. But these kendas are really crap when I'm on some rougher terrain with allot of rocks and loose gravel. The fire roads I ride on have lots of gravel. I've don't really know much about tubeless. What are the advantages? Disadvantages?

·
Class Clown
2,954 Posts
Yep pinch flat, I've been getting them lately as I've been running lower pressure. Advantage to tubeless is no pinch flat and if you use sealant it can seal holes for you. Disadvantage it could be kind of messy.

The alternative is to run a higher PSI but it's not a good option since you want to take full advantage of your tires.

I've only gotten pinch flats on my 2.0 rear tire. The front is a 2.2 and I'm wondering if the wider tire makes it less likely to get a pinch flat?

BTW taking the rear tire off is extremely easy.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Yep pinch flat, I've been getting them lately as I've been running lower pressure. Advantage to tubeless is no pinch flat and if you use sealant it can seal holes for you. Disadvantage it could be kind of messy.

The alternative is to run a higher PSI but it's not a good option since you want to take full advantage of your tires.

I've only gotten pinch flats on my 2.0 rear tire. The front is a 2.2 and I'm wondering if the wider tire makes it less likely to get a pinch flat?

BTW taking the rear tire off is extremely easy.
Tire size does make a difference, but typically, pinch flats usually happen in the rear. They happen in the front, but not as often.

·
Still New
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pinch flats suck. I guess I should put more air in my tires so I won't have to worry about the flats.

·
Class Clown
2,954 Posts
that's really all you can do with tubes. I need to start measuring the exact psi and see how low I can go without pinching.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Get some nice big 2.4 nobby nic tires they will be softer with great traction and they last long on the road. You just need to make sure you get the light ones I got some and love them they are light and sticky and they have big nobs so they last on the road. I think the snakeskin model plus the 2.4 tires for the ht makes it more comfortable over bumps. You will lose some speed with the wider tires but they will have more grip in the corners and they will be more puncture resistant and a softer ride.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Or you can just run what you got it does not matter just a suggestion if you want a upgrade. I think no matter what tire you run you will get flats it just happens. And you can run a tube with patches I run tubes with patches I have spare tubes with patches.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts