Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live up here in the northeast and finally we are getting some cold weather and some snow meaning i might have to finally put the bike away for the next few months. in the past few months i have had 4 tubes go out on me, the final one being today after i was inflating the brand new one after replacing it on my rim, it just blew out on me. i checked both this tube and the one that was on it last and the leak is coming from the same area on the tube. i have a set of irc 26" rims on the bike (standard on cannondale) and inspected them to the best of my ability and can't seem to find anything that would cause the puncture.

basically i am sick of this. i want to either resolve the problem with the existing rim by getting a liner or a tube that is actually going to hold up. i have tried the thorn proof ones and yes that blew out on me too so i don't know. the puncture was on the "inside" of the tube the part that rests on the rim. if i decide to go with the latter idea i need some help. it is hardtail of which i stick to mostly trail riding with a lot of mud, roots and rocks (thanks northeast!) so want something that is going to hold up.

any help is greatly appreciated! thanks in advance.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,452 Posts
Check that your rim tape is covering all the spoke holes - sometimes the rim tape moves around, exposing the sharp edge of a spoke hole - and PFFFT!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sideknob said:
Check that your rim tape is covering all the spoke holes - sometimes the rim tape moves around, exposing the sharp edge of a spoke hole - and PFFFT!
i did this right away and didn't really notice anything out of the ordinary....ran my thumb over the entire rim with a latex glove on just to see if it would catch on any sharp edge that might be coming through and nothing...

·
4,452 Posts
Hmmm. You aren't trying to get skinny tubes (1.0 to 1.5 or similar) to fill fat tyres, are you? Sometimes skinny tubes will split at the seams. Is there maybe a foreign body sticking on the inside of your tyre from a past puncture, that you haven't noticed?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sideknob said:
Hmmm. You aren't trying to get skinny tubes (1.0 to 1.5 or similar) to fill fat tyres, are you? Sometimes skinny tubes will split at the seams. Is there maybe a foreign body sticking on the inside of your tyre from a past puncture, that you haven't noticed?
my tubes are the correct width and i checked the tire and everything seems to be just fine and the puncture is on the inside of the tube anyways, touching the rim.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Sounds more like a rim problem but I relate to the problem all the same. I had a friend I rode with last night I had to lend him a tube. I felt bad for him having to change his tube but thats why I ride tubeless. I went for a ride tonight and I noticed somthing sticking out of my front tire when I got home. It was a good sized thorn, I checked my back tire and I had one there too I pulled the thorn out and the tire was sealed a second later.

I would have had to change two tires tonight if it wasnt for the Stans sealant in my tires.
I run standard tires with No Tubes rim strips. I have not had a flat on my two bikes in a
year. Sure you have to check it every 3 to 4 months but thats in the garage not on the trail.
You can run lower tire pressures, get better traction and a better ride.

Good luck

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Could be you twisted the tube up when you mounted it on the rim. Do you use a tire lever to mount the tires back on the rim? Sometimes the tube can get tangled up under the tire bead or twisted and when you inflate to tears a hole on the tube. Only mount the tire by hand. Mount carefully to make sure the tube never gets twisted on stuck under the tire bead. Add talcum powder to the tube so that it can slide into it's position easily. Inflate slightly (5psi) and wiggle things around so that your sure that everything is good then inflate to your desired pressure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the help guys i appreciate it...i don't know exactly what to do from here and i am considering the option of going tubless but that requires a new rim and tire correct? if so, any suggestions?

·
Registered
857 Posts
If your not a weight weenie you can run the thicker tubes with the plastic inserts.

I got my bike at the end of summer when all the thorns were dried up and laying everywhere, I always had flats.

I went to the thicker tubes and plastic inserts and haven't had one issue since.
The same exact thing happened to my buddy.

For the record there was a noticable increase in rolling weight.

·
Registered
857 Posts
They act as a barrier between your tube and rim.

There's been a few times where I've gotten home to find a tack or something similar STILL sticking in the tire but full pressure and no puncture as I've pulled it out.

Again these things add noticable rolling weight(at least the thick tubes + inserts, Id assume the tubes were the biggest addition to weight) so they're not for everyone.

·
4,452 Posts
I think he means tyre liners - they are a strip of kevlar or other hard plastic that sits b/w the tube and the tyre to prevent punctures. As your problem seems to be something happening inside the rim, they probably won't help. I'm at a loss to know what your problem is.

After you get a flat, how big is the hole you find?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Sideknob said:
I think he means tyre liners - they are a strip of kevlar or other hard plastic that sits b/w the tube and the tyre to prevent punctures. As your problem seems to be something happening inside the rim, they probably won't help. I'm at a loss to know what your problem is.

Yes, I said this assuming he's going to take care of his initial issue.
This is after all of that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sideknob said:

The size of the hole in the tube is relatively small in one case it was about the size of a pin hole and very difficult to find. Another time it was about 2-3mm in length and was easily noticeable and was located close to the seam on the tube itself.

·
4,452 Posts
I'm tempted to think that there is a bit of foreign body stuck in your back tyre from a previous puncture. It's happened to me - a little bit of pricke, thorn or similar works it's way deep into the tread and pokes through into the tube. Can't be seen from the outside of the tyre, but can normally be detected by carefully running your fingers over the entire inner surface of the tyre. Just a thought.

Bear in mind how much the tube stretches when it inflates - that could give the impression the underside of the tube that you think contacts the rim is being punctured - when it reality that section expands under inflation and is contacting the side of the tyre maybe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got the exact same issue, rear tire, inner tube small hole, 2 tubes. happened when i put on a used pair of mavic 221 rims. the first tube was a slime tube and it burst about 1/8" at the seam running on the inside. The second tube was a kenda thin and it had what appeared to be a line of abrasion on the underside leading to (at the end of the line of abrasion) a small hole. Same place on both tubes, about 6 inches from the valve. it's not right above a spoke hole, but since these are double wall, the spoke ain't going to poke a whole in the rim, as it'd have to travel 1/2" probably to do that and then through a tough liner.

I wonder if the liner edge is rubbing a hole in the tube. It doesn't seem to take long. Maybe a week for this tube, and 2 days for the slime tube to go.

Matt18 - any resolution you found per chance?

Anyone have any ideas? Thinking of some new rim liners, maybe a little wider?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.