Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
flat spot Mavic 321 rim

I just noticed I have a small flat spot in my Mavic 321 rim w/ 32 14g spokes. It's not bad (I never notice riding) but there is a few spokes loose. It's the stock rim that came on my 05 Gemini. I have only done 4' drops with it, nothing that big yet.

I have done 4' drops with my XC bike with lite XC wheels with no problems with flat spotting rims.

I was totally suprised, I have never flat spotted any rims before especially one built heavier for freeriding.

What caused this?

I don't think C'dale will warranty this, do you?

I plan on riding it since it's not bad.

What should I do, take it to the shop and have them retighten the spokes and ride it.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Deffinately take it to the shop and have...

spacoli said:
I just noticed I have a small flat spot in my Mavic 321 rim w/ 32 14g spokes. It's not bad (I never notice riding) but there is a few spokes loose. It's the stock rim that came on my 05 Gemini. I have only done 4' drops with it, nothing that big yet.

I have done 4' drops with my XC bike with lite XC wheels with no problems with flat spotting rims.

I was totally suprised, I have never flat spotted any rims before especially one built heavier for freeriding.

What caused this?

I don't think C'dale will warranty this, do you?

I plan on riding it since it's not bad.

What should I do, take it to the shop and have them retighten the spokes and ride it.
them work it over! The flat spot is not that big of a deal as long as you can't feel it while riding, but the loose spokes are or can be a BIG problem. So take it to the shop and have them true and re-tension the spokes. As to what caused it, could be any number of things, bad landing, low spoke tension, hit a rock or other object on landing, low tire pressure, who knows. I've run wheels before that have had no problems for a year or two, other than normal truing, and suddenly had them flat spot. Usually it was something that I did or hit that caused it. As for the warranty angle, probably not. Flat spots are not usually covered under warranty. Unless the wheel blows up right out of the show room I seriously doubt you'd get any satisfaction going that route.

Good Dirt

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.