Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed I have a small flat spot in my Mavic 321 rim w/ 32 14g spokes. It's not bad (I'll never notice riding) but there is a few spokes loose. It's the stock rim that came on my 05 Gemini. I have only done 4' drops with it, nothing that big yet.

I have done 4' drops with my XC bike with lite XC wheels with no problems with flat spotting rims.

I was totally suprised, I have never flat spotted any rims before especially one built heavier for freeriding.

What caused this?

I don't think C'dale will warranty this, do you?

I plan on riding it since it's not bad.

What should I do, take it to the shop and have them retighten the spokes and ride it.

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
Cannondale is not going to warranty a Mavic product....think about it.

Anyway, were you hucking to flat, because, in my experience, a four foot to a good tranny is pretty smooth on just about any bike. I dropped off my roof six feet onto a tranny (30* plywood) on an old cruiser, and the rims held up fine. Granted I only did that a few times and tried to be as smooth as possible, but I'd hate to see rims flat spotting on one of the best freeride bikes by doing any four foot drop...even to flat. Anyway, based on that, I'd blame it on the wheel build (not properly tensioned or whatnot) rather than the rim itself. Pretty much anything in the middle of Mavic's range is solid. Just not the x139s. I split mine in two. :( :D

·
Professional Troll
2,762 Posts
Don't worry about it. I had a chase that had those rims, held up fine for the first 2 weeks, then the spokes started going loose, i had to tighten them everyride. I ended up completely destroying both front and rear within 2 months. Same thing on my gemini 2k 05. The rear rim had about a third of the spokes literally out of the nipples by the end of the 3 week of riding. Spare your self the headache, just replace with some real freeride rims. Go with mtx's or intense mag 30's They are both uberstrong. I just did some 7-10 foot drops to flat concrete on them, still good.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Just have your rim serviced (basically, have the shop tighten up the spokes). I've had a flat spot on my 321s, which are on my dirt jumping bike, for a long, long time. I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just keep those spokes nice and tight...

·
Registered
605 Posts
i'd bet lose spokes, i have front / back Mav 321's on my bike that i built up myself thier bombproof last just as good as my other rims i have/had Trailpimps, Mag30's, Bombshell, Alex, doublwides, doubletracks Mav 321's are the best strength vs weight in my opinion, i work at a bikeshop and keep my all my stuff well maintained, maintenance is key to any component lasting check your spokes before every ride if their lose their gonna blow waayy easier i've destroyed a few rims over the yrs from not checking the spokes,
also you said they are stock with your gemini so they would probalbly have been machine built bring em to your LBS and get em to go over both your wheels and retension them, the spokes will loosen slightly after you take it on a cple good rides after purchase and will need retensioned.

·
COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's good to hear, I will keep the 321's

Good to hear you have success with these rims. I was thinking that it might be the build.
After reading reviews on these rims, I thought they should be fine for me. I was totally surprised to find a flat spot. I would like to keep the 321's because of the lite weight.
I will ride this wheel for this season if it lasts that long and replace it over the winter.

AKRida said:
i'd bet lose spokes, i have front / back Mav 321's on my bike that i built up myself thier bombproof last just as good as my other rims i have/had Trailpimps, Mag30's, Bombshell, Alex, doublwides, doubletracks Mav 321's are the best strength vs weight in my opinion, i work at a bikeshop and keep my all my stuff well maintained, maintenance is key to any component lasting check your spokes before every ride if their lose their gonna blow waayy easier i've destroyed a few rims over the yrs from not checking the spokes,
also you said they are stock with your gemini so they would probalbly have been machine built bring em to your LBS and get em to go over both your wheels and retension them, the spokes will loosen slightly after you take it on a cple good rides after purchase and will need retensioned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.