Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is this done? Everything is soaked, your hands, clothes, nothing to dry the tube with and the rain is coming in at all angles.

Drove me nuts.

·
Which way? Uphill.
833 Posts
If you by chance have a lighter with you you can:
-Light the rubber cement for a few seconds
-Blow it out and let it hold it somewhere somewhat dry to give it a least a few seconds to cool off a little, hold it near your chest and lean over it to block the rain.
-Thrown on the patch

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
stumblemumble said:
How is this done? Everything is soaked, your hands, clothes, nothing to dry the tube with and the rain is coming in at all angles.

Drove me nuts.
No reason not to install a wet tube. I (almost) always have two spare tubes with me. Patch kits are the last resort on the trail. Swap tubes and be on your way. Faster and easier. Then patch the tube later in your warm, dry garage.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Kudos to CK originally printed in Fat Tire Flyer - Thin Air repair - Use a small stick to twist the tube like a tourniquet...Step one: Find hole-Step Two: Put stick on hole and full twist. Step 3: Shove tube with stick in it back in tire. Step 4: Pump up.

Never had this method fail. I now always carry tubes and haul home tubes to be patched over the winter...You could also cut tube at hole and tie a knot at each end. Or -(never tried it) but could tie and knot on the hole with another bit of string or tube closing off the hole.

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
You could also cut tube at hole and tie a knot at each end
I have always heard tie the tube back together after you cut it at the hole. I have never tried it though.
But seriously,
Just carry a spare! wrap it around your seat tube next to your bb and forget about it!

Sheepo

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^^That does work. I did it when I flatted with a through bolt axle, and didn't have a patch kit or the bolt wrench to get the wheel off. Rode it hard without problem. Thanks for the help btw.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts