Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My personal experience but I am happy to report, The kona Wah Wah 2 pedal has beat out my two other plastic pedals. In least to greatest order. Shoes are 2018 5.10 Impact Pros

Race Face Chesters, least foot covererage of the bunch with short sharp pins

One Up components, more foot coverage, short not very sharp pins

Kona Wah Wah, most foot coverage, tall and sharp pins

Overall the Wah wah has best feel and grip, so easy winner so far. I will say the One Ups have held up to a good 2,000 miles of abuse and still spin happily without a single issue, some new pins and I am sure they would go another 2,000, great product. None of these pedals suck, all light and plastic.

IMG_4494 by driverfound337, on Flickr
IMG_4496 by driverfound337, on Flickr
IMG_4506 by driverfound337, on Flickr

·
The perfessor
824 Posts
- what he said, same here.........I've been looking at extra flats rather than moving the one set I have between bikes (they're metal and function great)........would like to have another set for my "casual spin SS"..........

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
Kudos to anyone who can ride SS on flats. I tried, I failed so hard it was laughable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
906 Posts
Kudos to anyone who can ride SS on flats. I tried, I failed so hard it was laughable.

Likewise. Any steep climb too long to coast up on momentum became unridable when I tried flats. Apparently I pull up a lot with the SPD pedals.

I tried the Wellgo MG-1 platforms and they were fine. Good grip, replaceable pins, but a metal body. I still use them when I want to get 'trials-y' in the driveway.

·
Registered
12,888 Posts
That was my experience, on my first ride. It takes a couple of rides before you adjust your technique. Trying it once or twice, especially with the wrong shoes and crappy pedals like most people do, and declaring flat pedals to be too hard is doing a rider a disservice.

I can ride either way but I don't see any benefit for me to clip in on a mtb. On my "gravel bike" I have SPDs though.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I tried the Wah Wahs on a demo day. I was not impressed compared to my Vaults. I had them swap the Vaults on so it was back to back.

·
Registered
906 Posts
That was my experience, on my first ride. It takes a couple of rides before you adjust your technique. Trying it once or twice, especially with the wrong shoes and crappy pedals like most people do, and declaring flat pedals to be too hard is doing a rider a disservice.

I can ride either way but I don't see any benefit for me to clip in on a mtb. On my "gravel bike" I have SPDs though.
I tried for 12 rides. Never found a way to replace the raw power of pulling up and pushing down on climbs. I even followed the flat pedal intro class that Ryan Leech has on his website. Too set in my ways I guess.

·
Registered
693 Posts
FWIW, I switched over to flats on my other bikes about two years ago and never looked back with the exception of the SS. Finally this year I moved to some DMR Vaults, the reason being that they're more concave than most, and sure enough I feel like there's very little actual difference riding now. I think the shoe/pedal combo is really, really important, but also a lot of practice weighting the pedals on the uphills.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
I am pretty happy with my Deity Compounds. I can't find dimensions, but I think the platform is a hair bigger than the Chesters. Stock pin size is good. And the foot contact areas are very flat, no funny hot spots

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts

Straitline flats and 5.10s were fine on my FS with gears. I did it for probably 2-3 years.

My comment was limited to how awful it was on a singlespeed. I guess I just assumed that was understood, being in the singlespeed forum.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
With some old-fashioned ankling technique I can still pull up a decent amount with 5.10s and decent flat pedals. Maybe I'm being optimistic but it feels like I still have grip to pedal close to the point where the crank is level. Pulling up more than that felt odd and counter-productive to me on clipless anyway, so I don't feel like I'm losing much

Then again, riding my fixed gear yesterday I got my foot knocked off a pedal on a rocky fireroad descent. Dodging rocks and braking while trying to get the timing right to get my foot back on the pedal made immediately want to reinstall my clipless pedals!

·
Registered
12,888 Posts
Straitline flats and 5.10s were fine on my FS with gears. I did it for probably 2-3 years.

My comment was limited to how awful it was on a singlespeed. I guess I just assumed that was understood, being in the singlespeed forum
My comments were specifically about how flats are terrific on a singlespeed too, if you invest the time on getting some technique down. I don't believe riding a bike with flat pedals is different because the bike has many gears or just one. Many people believe that but i think it's mostly in our heads.

I own two bikes and neither of them has a derailer. I've never owned or ridden trails on an FS bike and I live in a place where more than 75% of the riders I encounter are on FS bikes. Slowly, many of them are adopting flat pedals. It's all subjective and the bottom line is that once I got comfortable on flats, I am having more fun. Fun is 100% the only reason I ride, so that works.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can't speak for DMR vaults which I don't think come in plastic if I am right? I would give them a go for sure I know they're well loved. I would really like to try Deity compounds, I had a set of some aluminum ones some time ago and they were great and I like the company. For now it is really nice to have good affordable platic pedal options, I don't miss aluminum so far, about 5,000 miles on plastic pedals and no looking back for now. I just wanted to point out that in my experience the cehsters and one ups are good but the wah wah is best :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yeah, I run the Wah Wah II on my two other bikes, with the Vaults on the SS. The Vaults are noticeably more grippy, but were too grippy for my FS bike where if my foot came off, it was hard to reposition. Kinda wild!

We're trying out the new OneUp composites soon, will report on those as they look better than the Chester and more compact than the Wah Wah IIs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.