Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this in the beginner corner because I don't know much about pedals at all. So of the things I do know is both my wife and I got new bikes and the plastic pedals stink. Our feet fly off the stock ones all the time. I looked around alittle bit but really don't know what to look for. I like the slimmer pedals but don't want to pay $100 plus per set. I did find the Shimano Saint MX80 for $60.00 and the Nukeproof Proton for $65.00. Are these any good? Is one better then the other? Is there another one I should look at?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just getting back into cycling after about a decade and I picked up the Forte Convert pedals. Used to ride all clipless so I wanted a low cost pedal to try platforms; I've been impressed with these. They're frequently recommended on the forum here (what led me to them).

Good luck!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Heck I rode these old school GT platforms, less than $40. I beat them to hell, bearings roll like gravel and sand, but they still turned. You might want to invest in shin protection, esp your wife, if you switch to metal platforms. You will (not might) eventually slip off and have the pedal spin around and smack you in the shin, or slip off the front and scrape the back of your calf on it. The first time it happens you will so wish you had shin guards. The next time it happens and you hear the pedal resoundingly whack the guards, you will be so thankful!

·
o°<o NYC pebble jumper!
235 Posts
I use the Evo MX6 pedals... runs around $30. Replaceable pins.
You should maybe look into some type of flat sneakers/skate shoes also, as it tends to be a bit more grippy vs sneakers, as new designed sneakers have way too many gaps between the soles for flex, but you can easily lose grip when riding.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was curious about this topic as well. I have been looking at the Wellgo MG-1s and the Shimano Saints.

The Wellgos are a good price but was not sure of the quality of either.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I've used all kinds of pedals but I like plastic platforms the best.. When you slip, damage is minimal, they don't weigh much, and theyre cheap. I've never broken a pedal, so metal doesn't appeal to me. Sometimes I'll rebuild the bearings if I'm bored, but they are so cheap you can just replace them without worry.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
+ 1 on the Forte Converts. If you can catch them on a sale its a nice performance/price ratio. They come with extra pins but after I lost a few I started lock titing them in place and haven't lost any since

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
IMG-20140418-00657.jpg

Forte Covert for about one year now. Never have sliped but I have made mistakes and that has made me bleed.
One I stabed my large chainring into a log, I put my feel out = no ground..bike rotaed forward and so did the drivetrain..That Forte dug into the back of my calf/lower leg AHHHH Mother Ffer Stupid dumb blah blah blah hahahaha
never again will I do that!

I bought 5.10 Freerides about the same time and the two are stickkkky.

I can transfer pedel power just by how I am "useing" the pins with my 5.10s..it's hard to explain, but when climbing you can get an upswing on it.

Best $45 spent!
I would like to try the RaceFace..sweeeet!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I looked at the Forte Covert but I could not find them for $45 they where more around the $60 mark. I liked the Nukeproof Proton but I got the Shimano Saint as they were on sale for $60. I choose the Saints over others because I feel you get a lot for your money. I like the way the pins screw in from the back (thru pins I think). I just think if you hit the pin on a rock it could mess up and if that's were you put the alien key into the screw it could make life harder. Looks like the Saints pins can be ran with washers for 2mm sticking out or without washer for 8mm sticking out. If you need more then the Straitline pins will thread into the Saints (as seen in yardsticks photo). The Saints pedal surface is extended from the crank arm and chainstays more the some others (help with big feet).
Pedals_01.JPG
Pedals_02.JPG
Pedals_03.JPG

(Not my pic's these belong to Yardstick)

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Ya, that was last year and the grey I have is no more, black is the new modle..

There are TONS of good one to choose from that is for sure!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've been riding the Deity composites for about a month. So far I really like them and they are only $48. Hard to say how they will hold up over time, but so far they've been great. I also heard some great reviews from others riding them.

deity Compound Pedals

1 - 20 of 28 Posts