Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ah well... I'd say always wear your armor but even my armor wouldn't have prevented this.

Picture is a bit blurry, its the back of my left calf, nicely torn open.

The little white dot in the center is subcutaneous fat. Didn't go deep enough to get muscle though.

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
Archdukeferdinand said:
ah well... I'd say always wear your armor but even my armor wouldn't have prevented this.

Picture is a bit blurry, its the back of my left calf, nicely torn open.

The little white dot in the center is subcutaneous fat. Didn't go deep enough to get muscle though.
'subcutaneous fat.'?

are you sure doctor?? :D

I did something similar to myself just before I went clipless. Now instead of barking my shins, My bike gets to crash with me. We're so close :(

·
I like Squishy Bikes
1,101 Posts
Yee-Ouch

After trying SPD's & Legg Beaters...I'm still crankin' away on my BMX flats.
I've only drawn blood once, that was a ride that where we ran into a cloud burst.
I can still recall the sound of the pedal hitting my shin..."Crack!":eek:
After your wounds heal, if you want to try the flats again,
try it with a good pair of Vans or Airwalks
(to lessen the dork factor...leave the white socks at home).

Hollis (dork W/bike socks & flats :D)

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heh, no. I'm an EMT. The subcu fat comment was to give an idea of how deep it was because the picture is blurry.

And I was wearing a pair of skate shoes and there's no question about flats. This is just part of the learning curve. I've been riding them for about 3 weeks now, I really love 'em. I really like that they force me to be deliberate with bike handling, no more cheating and then making up for it like I did with SPDs. This is a case where I just got lazy, hopped up a curb but landed with my weight too far forward and did a semi-endo. While I was flailing the pedals took a bite out of my leg.

Its all taped up and has a combine dressing on it, I'm still planning on a long ride this weekend. Luckily its not in an area where the skin stretches much so it doesn't hurt too bad to ride (rode all the way home with it).

And they're not dorky white socks.

They're even dorkier grey smartwools.

·
Still chuggin' along
875 Posts
Owweeee! I've been riding flats since October and **knock on wood** I haven't smacked myself that badly,........yet.
Although, everytime I do whack myself, its always on the back of my right ankle :rolleyes: I hope that heals up quickly and well! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.