Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

521 - 523 of 523 Posts

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,451 Posts
Deity TMACs on all of my bikes. I even put a spare set on my wife's NordicTrak s22i Peloton clone.

I rode clipless for about 15 years, starting with the Onza HO deathtraps from the mid-90's (team sponsor), then moving to Shimano. I first got interested in trying flats around 2007, swapping back and forth between flats and clipless for a long time. It look a couple of years of riding flats exclusively to get to the point that my technical skill with them surpassed what I previously felt comfortable riding with clipless. I gave the Pedaling Innovations Catalyst pedals a try for a year before trying a friend's bike with TMACs about 4 years ago. I ordered my first pair as soon as I got home and haven't had any interest in another pedal since.
TMACs are AMAZING. I don't get why more pedals are not shaped like them. I think in the battle for thin, the importance of the shape got lost.

Next time you need pedals take a look at the new Diety Deftraps. They are good for the same reasons as the TMAC. Not as concave as the TMACs, but still barely concave with none of the thick-axle-in-the-middle nonsense, and non-beveled front/back..... and the platform is just as large..... and 1/3 the price.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
3,676 Posts
Clipless on my Singespeed because I need every last erg of power. My other "race/ long XC" bike I also have clipless, but my Honzo gets flats because it's just for funning around. Also flats on the commuter bike so I don't have to futz with a bunch of shoes at work.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've always used flat pedals (apart from a short time in my teens when I had a 10-speed Racer with cages, which were soon removed). Currently using Nukeproof Horizons, and I haven't slipped off them yet. Unless you're entering competitive races/downhill I don't see the point. The one thing I would say is don't go for long pins: longer pins = less grip.

521 - 523 of 523 Posts