Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

481 - 500 of 523 Posts

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
Another part of the problem that took a while to figure out is that for some reason I need my seat lower when riding flats. Not just a tiny bit from the difference in the height of the shoes and pedals, but lower than I've ever been used to. It's taken some getting used to.

Most people place their foot closer to the middle of their foot on flats as opposed to more under the ball of the foot with clipless. That can make a big difference for seat height.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,273 Posts
Old guy here (53)
I’m running RF Chesters on my Specialized Chisel.
I really like them except for the one time that I botched a jump, my foot came off the pedal and the pins raked my shin.
Took weeks to heal completely and it looked like I was mauled by some rabid wildcat.
Hmmm,
IMG_1388.jpg
Wildcat in the wild.

Never piss off my bike... Wildcats just use the shins for scratching posts!

·
Registered
284 Posts
After many years of clipless (and even true clips from 1984) anyone riding flats? What do you run? I am going to try converting during the racing off season... My 16 yo son rides flats and can do everything I can (and better). I have read enough to see benefits, so I'm considering the Catalyst or ONe up... I know it's a commitment to shoes too? Suggestions, experiences or wisdom?
so... replying the the OP, I use clipless because that is what cross country pros use, and i can see why. So unless I can not physically tolerate clipless pedals I shall use them. Can anyone prove to me that clipless pedals are not used by UCI pro cross county mtb racers? personally I only use clipless pedal,s but opinions are like assholes, so i am just another asshole.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I use clip'd-in pedals...

Us ole farts need all the help we can get!!

PS - don't make out like your a pro... it's a crutch & I'll take two thanks

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
284 Posts
never said i was a pro. My mistake, please forgive me. I really need to respect seasoned riders like you more.:rolleyes:

·
EXORCIZE
2,239 Posts
I never used them but i read a ton of praises for chesters.
Maybe they were a bad combo with your shoes?
Last 3 years i use five10 and any pedal works well.
Using two different pairs of 5-10s, I found Chesters small and lacking grip. Worst pedal I've tried. Give them a try and report back. Might work well if you have small feet.

·
Registered
873 Posts
20201025_161305_resized.jpg

This weekend I finally got my first serious pedal bite. That's a price I am willing to pay after happily running flats for 15+ years and I will definitely keep using them. This is on the back of my calf, so the knee pads didn't help.

·
Registered
200 Posts
This weekend I finally got my first serious pedal bite. That's a price I am willing to pay after happily running flats for 15+ years and I will definitely keep using them. This is on the back of my calf, so the knee pads didn't help.
Nooooice!!!! :thumbsup:

·
Snow Dog
3,731 Posts

noooowwwww your'e doing it right!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Finally made my way through this whole damn thread. Lots of good stuff in here. Thanks, all.

But one thing I’ve not seen mention of - SPD multi-angle release cleats (Shimano SH-56).
I switched to those two years ago from regular SPD cleats. Great easy fast release. I ride SS 95% of the time. 69 and loving SS here in Utah. (The PGG helps a lot -- pre-geezer gearing.)

My skill set pales in comparison to any of you all but I feel like a kid out there. Still have a FS for the big climbs/descents.

Back to the cleats - love them compared to the standard SPDs. Don’t need to twist, can roll out. Have them set very low and they release FAR more easily and intuitively than regular SPDs. They click a little when pulling up, being so loose, but don’t let go until I want them to, then they're quick. Near-instant dabs, for example.

However, due to a recent Achilles strain from trail running have been on flats the last six weeks (Crank Bros. Stamp/5.10 Freeriders). Quite the adjustment. Kept flying off the pedals at first. They’re OK now, and I can carefully move my feet and even do my lame-bunny hops up to about 8-10”, but I’m looking forward to being able to get back on the cleats for all the usual SS reasons.

BTW, help me out, please, what is a "balance check"? (Quick Google didn't turn it up.)

·
Birding Mtb'er
52 Posts
About to turn 48, but honestly I feel like I relate more to the 'old' riders now than the whippersnappers.

I've read much of but not this entire thread, and confirmed my suspicion that I am one of the few (if not only) still using toe clips, haha. During my formative mountain biking years, like for most of us, the choice was either clips or clipless. I loved the idea of clipless, but didn't want to be forced to wear riding shoes if I wanted to bike to the store or just cruise around town, so never went for it. Now, since I have always kept the straps really loose, for me clips offer the best of both worlds... never a problem getting out in a bail, pedals are not so grippy that my foot can't float around a bit, and I don't have much possibility of feet coming off. I don't know, I might try flats just for fun, since you never know, but just haven't felt super compelled when this still works great for me. Although, it is getting a lot harder to find clip-compatible pedals, which is a problem since mine do get pretty smashed up eventually.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I use Crank Bros flats. Had my worst wrecks and leg problems clipped in (ahem, clipless)

Have used toe clips, loose with great success. Pedal change to use them if needed. Stlll have a clipless set up somewhere.

I may be sacrificing a bit on flats, but not concerned. I do notwant to go that debate.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,273 Posts
I use Crank Bros flats. Had my worst wrecks and leg problems clipped in (ahem, clipless)

Have used toe clips, loose with great success. Pedal change to use them if needed. Stlll have a clipless set up somewhere.

I may be sacrificing a bit on flats, but not concerned. I do notwant to go that debate.
Your bike is gonna soap your mouth! My bikes hate that term...

If there is sacrifice using platforms, there is user error present.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,301 Posts
I recently went back to flats after years of spd's. I'm still finding that I cheated being clipped in, and need to remember to load the pedals at times where I didn't have to, but it's been fun, and in many ways I prefer being back on flats..

481 - 500 of 523 Posts