Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

461 - 480 of 523 Posts

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
Turned 61 this year, been riding clipped in since the mid-90's. Moved to Tennessee from Ohio 10 years ago. The trails here are rocky and rough. Some are the kind of trails if you don't make the climb you can go off a steep edge and roll for a long way. I noticed my balance isn't what it used to be and the thought of not un-clipping in time made me very tentative on sketchy climbs. So I went to flats this year, still trying to adjust. On top of that my feet started going numb, then it moved into my ankles after some hard rides on the flats. Using HT pedals and 5-10s. Switched back to my Shimano clipless the last few rides and didn't get any numbness or tingling. My son and I took off in a state park for a couple hours just wandering around on some paved trails last Sunday on my flats and my right foot is still tingling and numb feeling. Anyone else experiencing this?
Morton's Neuroma creeping up on you?

See a podiatrist.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,275 Posts
Turned 61 this year, been riding clipped in since the mid-90's. Moved to Tennessee from Ohio 10 years ago. The trails here are rocky and rough. Some are the kind of trails if you don't make the climb you can go off a steep edge and roll for a long way. I noticed my balance isn't what it used to be and the thought of not un-clipping in time made me very tentative on sketchy climbs. So I went to flats this year, still trying to adjust. On top of that my feet started going numb, then it moved into my ankles after some hard rides on the flats. Using HT pedals and 5-10s. Switched back to my Shimano clipless the last few rides and didn't get any numbness or tingling. My son and I took off in a state park for a couple hours just wandering around on some paved trails last Sunday on my flats and my right foot is still tingling and numb feeling. Anyone else experiencing this?
First, change to another pair of shoes and test ride... May have to do this a couple times to get it sorted.
In more than 50 years of riding bikes, I have yet to have trouble other than when I experimented with SPD and those nasty plywood soled shoes designed for them. No tingling or other signs of irritated nerves, just aches and pain that required prescriptions to deal with.

Lacing too tightly can cause this issue, as can a shoe that doesn't quite work for you.
After some experimenting, podiatrist is an option or perhaps a chiropractor.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I rode sod’s for 18 years. I always had numb toes/feet. Since switching to flats/5-10’s I haven’t had that problem.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I rode spd’s for 18 years. I always had numb toes/feet. Since switching to flats/5-10’s I haven’t had that problem.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,275 Posts
I rode spd’s for 18 years. I always had numb toes/feet. Since switching to flats/5-10’s I haven’t had that problem.
Can't blame anyone for making their choice based upon what works for em.
I require a shoe that allows me to feel the bike and what it is telling me... Shoes with a tungsten sole prevent that communication and are therefore inherently dangerous.

·
Registered
58 Posts
First, change to another pair of shoes and test ride... May have to do this a couple times to get it sorted.
In more than 50 years of riding bikes, I have yet to have trouble other than when I experimented with SPD and those nasty plywood soled shoes designed for them. No tingling or other signs of irritated nerves, just aches and pain that required prescriptions to deal with.

Lacing too tightly can cause this issue, as can a shoe that doesn't quite work for you.
After some experimenting, podiatrist is an option or perhaps a chiropractor.
Apparently I'm the outlier! I'm having the opposite problem of those who have replied. I bought one pair of high end SPD shoes years ago and did not like the super stiff platform, since I have actually bought lower end shoes because they are more flexible. Up until I went to the flats, which for the most part I like, I have never had issues with numbness or nerve irritation. I need to figure it out, I already have 5-10 free riders, supposedly one of the better pair of shoes for flats. Buying multiple pairs of expensive shoes is probably not an option. I swiped my sons Chesters off his bike, they have a smaller platform than the HT pedals. I have yet to try them on an actual ride though. My wife has suggested seeing her chiropractor, never been to one before.

·
saddlemeat
3,873 Posts
Apparently I'm the outlier! I'm having the opposite problem of those who have replied. I bought one pair of high end SPD shoes years ago and did not like the super stiff platform, since I have actually bought lower end shoes because they are more flexible. Up until I went to the flats, which for the most part I like, I have never had issues with numbness or nerve irritation. I need to figure it out, I already have 5-10 free riders, supposedly one of the better pair of shoes for flats. Buying multiple pairs of expensive shoes is probably not an option. I swiped my sons Chesters off his bike, they have a smaller platform than the HT pedals. I have yet to try them on an actual ride though. My wife has suggested seeing her chiropractor, never been to one before.
Flats require the use of more lateral leg and foot input, maybe you just need to get used to it? Just a thought...

·
Rippin da fAt
8,275 Posts
Frankly, I had better form and function from a pair of Ribo trials shoes over anything else. 5-10 Guide Tennies have been good but are a little heavy and stiffer than I would prefer. Closest thing to Ribo is an older pair of running shoes that allow for pedal feel and more natural foot function.

Look in your closet, just beyond those Floorsheims, grab those and try em out... No need to buy, try something that you already own. Bike police might issue a citation for riding with non-bike shoes, pay the fine and ride your bike!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Frankly, I had better form and function from a pair of Ribo trials shoes over anything else. 5-10 Guide Tennies have been good but are a little heavy and stiffer than I would prefer. Closest thing to Ribo is an older pair of running shoes that allow for pedal feel and more natural foot function.

Look in your closet, just beyond those Floorsheims, grab those and try em out... No need to buy, try something that you already own. Bike police might issue a citation for riding with non-bike shoes, pay the fine and ride your bike!

Floorsheims !!!??? OK Dad ;) All I have are flip flops and trail running shoes in my closet. I was using an old pair Asics trail running shoes initially and then some Salomons. They had too many ridges and cleats to get a good grip. The trial shoes look interesting though, never knew they existed. I'm thinking my problem is pushing down so hard on the flats it creates a lot of pressure on the bottom of my feet, maybe? I probably need to learn how to "spin" better with the flats. Out for a ride after work today, put the flats back on. I am going to work on my pedaling technique tonight.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I do have problems with my left foot staying on the pedal. I have about 1/4 of the strength in that leg. It will constantly pop off the pedal if I hit bumps, drops etc. I just have to build the muscle, and memory. On the rare occasion it’s locked in, it’s perfect.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Just got the DMR Vault Lacon pedals ('cause I'm fancy) and so far I like them a lot better than the RF Chesters I had. The Chesters are solid, but I have a big foot and the little extra real estate of the Vaults is noticeable and appreciated. Just have to pair them with a better pair of shoes to get a real sense of how good they are.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,275 Posts
Floorsheims !!!??? OK Dad ;) All I have are flip flops and trail running shoes in my closet. I was using an old pair Asics trail running shoes initially and then some Salomons. They had too many ridges and cleats to get a good grip. The trial shoes look interesting though, never knew they existed. I'm thinking my problem is pushing down so hard on the flats it creates a lot of pressure on the bottom of my feet, maybe? I probably need to learn how to "spin" better with the flats. Out for a ride after work today, put the flats back on. I am going to work on my pedaling technique tonight.
One thing to look at is when the power is applied... Doing it too late is a loss of power and efficiency. Doesn't matter if I use PL400 and glue your feet to the pedals or you run platforms. Most like a stiff soled shoe, where I cannot get the feedback I look for without a natural attachment. When you develop a good pedal stroke and timing, you really have no need to mash silly hard on the pedals since it wastes fuel. Work on the pedal form and when you get it right, pain and discomfort are no longer an issue.
Proper form and I can spin stupid high cadences and leave roadies like a dirty shirt!

A good place to look at the trials shoes is https://www.tartybikes.co.uk/shoes/c125.html

Basically, look for similar midsole/outsole design and good to go.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I put flat pedals on my old bike and went riding with a buddy and think I'm going to give flat a try on all my bikes. This is strange but I felt my control and feel and more confidence on the sketchy stuff because I knew I wouldn't fall against a tree if I lost it. Only downside I felt was in the fast sections a foot would come off a pedal but it was no big deal to get pedaling again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Old guy here (53)
I’m running RF Chesters on my Specialized Chisel.
I really like them except for the one time that I botched a jump, my foot came off the pedal and the pins raked my shin.
Took weeks to heal completely and it looked like I was mauled by some rabid wildcat.

·
EXORCIZE
2,239 Posts
Old guy here (53)
I’m running RF Chesters on my Specialized Chisel.
I really like them except for the one time that I botched a jump, my foot came off the pedal and the pins raked my shin.
Took weeks to heal completely and it looked like I was mauled by some rabid wildcat.
Have you tried other flat pedals? I tried Chesters and was shocked at how much they sucked.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I’m not sure if I answered yet, but I’ll give my opinion again just in case, because—well, it’s the internet and everyone wants to know what I think.

I’m more afraid of my feet slipping off the pedals than I am of my feet being stuck to the pedals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly! trying to sum up why I do not like flat pedals, you nailed it. I been using clipless for 20 years, at 62 years old I feel safer with clipless.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had that a lot but it got better. My feet were going totally numb after a 2 mile ride!
I'm wear Ion Raid II shoes and they're just really stiff all around. Clipless shoes I've worn are stiffer on the bottom, but more flexible everywhere else. Now that they're finally breaking in it's better. It took quite a while.

Another part of the problem that took a while to figure out is that for some reason I need my seat lower when riding flats. Not just a tiny bit from the difference in the height of the shoes and pedals, but lower than I've ever been used to. It's taken some getting used to.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Have you tried other flat pedals? I tried Chesters and was shocked at how much they sucked.
I never used them but i read a ton of praises for chesters.
Maybe they were a bad combo with your shoes?
Last 3 years i use five10 and any pedal works well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I put flat pedals on my old bike and went riding with a buddy and think I'm going to give flat a try on all my bikes. This is strange but I felt my control and feel and more confidence on the sketchy stuff because I knew I wouldn't fall against a tree if I lost it. Only downside I felt was in the fast sections a foot would come off a pedal but it was no big deal to get pedaling again.
I put flats on my bike (52 years old) and couldn't be happier. Not the least of which after a trail ride ending up at a watering hole, and being in comfortable shoes to kick back and have a beer.

I found some lightly used HT ME-03 for a reasonable price (shocked how light they are), and don't think I will ever go clipless again. With that said, I also don't ride nearly as hard as I used to.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had that a lot but it got better. My feet were going totally numb after a 2 mile ride!
I'm wear Ion Raid II shoes and they're just really stiff all around. Clipless shoes I've worn are stiffer on the bottom, but more flexible everywhere else. Now that they're finally breaking in it's better. It took quite a while.

Another part of the problem that took a while to figure out is that for some reason I need my seat lower when riding flats. Not just a tiny bit from the difference in the height of the shoes and pedals, but lower than I've ever been used to. It's taken some getting used to.

I've tried to make some adjustments in my foot placement and even how tight I am tying my shoes! I have always set up my clipless shoes with the pedal spindle right under the balls of my feet. My shoes were always pretty snug also. My last few rides I have been intentionally moving my foot forward on the pedals. Really felt weird for a while, but with my foot forward I feel like I can grip the front of the pedal better on the up-stroke and "almost" spin like I am clipped in. That seemed to eliminate most of the hard pushing I was doing. Loosening up the laces at the bottom of the 5/10's has also helped, again it felt odd at first but these 2 things have pretty much eliminated the numbness and tingling. I get bounced off them occasionally, which still scares the crap out of me though. After 25 years of being clipped in this has been a long learning curve for me. Except for road rides I can't see me going back to clipless at this point.

461 - 480 of 523 Posts