Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 523 Posts

·
Old Guy Enduro Racer
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many years of clipless (and even true clips from 1984) anyone riding flats? What do you run? I am going to try converting during the racing off season... My 16 yo son rides flats and can do everything I can (and better). I have read enough to see benefits, so I'm considering the Catalyst or ONe up... I know it's a commitment to shoes too? Suggestions, experiences or wisdom?

·
saddlemeat
3,873 Posts
Hard to beat 5.10 Freerider shoes with almost any thin flat pedal. I use Wellgo MG2 pedals, super light, less aggressive pins, not as thin as many.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
510s and RaceFace Chesters, best combo for this old dude

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,231 Posts
I made the switch about 3 years ago. I've run Nukeproof Electron Evos and now Crank Bros Stamp (large) as I have size 13 feet. I found the Chesters were too small for me. As for shoes I've used cheap Wal-Mart specials to now Bontrager Flatlines. Both my brother and my daughter have had 5-10 Contacts that the sole has de-laminated so I went with the Flatlines instead. I will not be going back to SPD's.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yep switched to flats about two years ago. When my wife and I started riding DEMO hard we found it useful to be able to get away from the bike.

Now that we are riding the Jackson State forest more we are thinking about going back to clipless pedels due to the mellower trails.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Old gal here. I switched about 10 years ago at the suggestion/insistence of one of my coaches. Never looked back.

Tips etc you ask for:
-Foot position is different. You ride with the pedal axle more mid foot. You use pressure to keep your feet on the pedals, and "heels down" for additional pressure in tech or dh.
-Pedal choice. I wore out two sets of catalyst and then went back to a smaller pedal, so I feel pretty secure in commenting on them. The larger platform is really nice to prevent foot fatigue, but imnsho I think it's harder to pressure the pedal. I really noticed this once I got coaching certified and saw that folks on the catalysts had a much more difficult time using foot pressure. If you have big feet, I don't think this is as much as an issue as someone who has small feet like I do. The foot pressure was just too spread out over the surface of the pedal. I've been working on drops, lifts and jumps and you really need to use pressure. I've been working on drops, lifts and jumps and you really need to use pressure. I am currently running Raceface Attack but I've also used Diety.

Don't let the haters get you down. I've seen that with the new geometry (one old far to another that has seen a lot of bike changes over the last **cough** years) you can really maximize bike performance and how you use your body with flats to become a more dynamic rider.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I've been clipless on my road bikes for 25 years, recently switched to Shimano XT PD-T8000, which are SPD on one side, pins on the other - now I have a choice, clipless vs flats. On my mountain bikes, I have no desire to clip in and use RaceFace Chesters with a pair of 5.10s.

·
Cycologist
7,197 Posts
Also on Chesters and 5-10s as of about 2 years ago.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Do any of you... mature folks... use shin protection with your flats, or is it not necessary?

Have Chester's, but haven't put them on yet.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Old guy here, 61. Switched to flats, Wellgo MG-1, nine years ago when I started riding fat bikes in Alaska. So much easier in soft snow with warm winter boots. It was an easy transition, felt I gained more than I lost. Now in AZ and use flats on both my rigid commuter/fire road and FS trail bikes. Chesters with 5-10s now. No shin guards, unless you count scar tissue. Just kidding. I get raked once in a while from pedal kick back, but it's not a serious problem.

·
9 lives
15,625 Posts
I rode with clipless pedals on my roadbike but switched to flats when I first took up mountain biking (trail and dh)

My combo is Canfield Crampons pedals and Five Ten Freerider Pro shoes. Grippy and light. I ride year round

·
EMBA Member
1,985 Posts
Do any of you... mature folks... use shin protection with your flats, or is it not necessary?
Nope. A couple times I've had small scrapes from the pedals, but never anything significant. And I've been riding flats for 6 years.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
My pedals beat me up more HAB than actually riding.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
5-10 impacts with Spank Spikes. Switched from clips in the early 2000s and went right to flats. As much as I crash, I never really considered clipless :)

·
Old Guy Enduro Racer
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all for the great input and group wisdom

WOW! thanks all for the outstanding input.
This 50+ thread is great...

Seems Freeride is the shoe: my son wears these and I tried his on I'm 5'6", 165 lbs with an 8.5 to 9 shoe size... so
formica
Old gal here. I switched about 10 years ago at the suggestion/insistence of one of my coaches. Never looked back.

Tips etc you ask for:
-Foot position is different. You ride with the pedal axle more mid foot. You use pressure to keep your feet on the pedals, and "heels down" for additional pressure in tech or dh.
-Pedal choice. I wore out two sets of catalyst and then went back to a smaller pedal, so I feel pretty secure in commenting on them. The larger platform is really nice to prevent foot fatigue, but imnsho I think it's harder to pressure the pedal. I really noticed this once I got coaching certified and saw that folks on the catalysts had a much more difficult time using foot pressure. If you have big feet, I don't think this is as much as an issue as someone who has small feet like I do. The foot pressure was just too spread out over the surface of the pedal. I've been working on drops, lifts and jumps and you really need to use pressure. I've been working on drops, lifts and jumps and you really need to use pressure. I am currently running Raceface Attack but I've also used Diety.

Don't let the haters get you down. I've seen that with the new geometry (one old far to another that has seen a lot of bike changes over the last **cough** years) you can really maximize bike performance and how you use your body with flats to become a more dynamic rider.
the input on Catalyst was very informative. thank you.

·
Registered
15,736 Posts

Have Chester's, but haven't put them on yet.

Mark

If I'm going to be riding a flow trail or other all-mountain style trail and will be hitting jumps, drops, etc. then I almost always wear knee guards (whether I'm on my flats or clipless). Mine do extend down the shin a little bit.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
5.10's and Chesters for park days (I turn 66 in August). Clipless on techy days, but only because I lack the skills to use flats under those circumstances. My wife is on Chesters as well. She used to wear shin guards, but no longer does.

1 - 20 of 523 Posts