Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recommendations for a flat pedal shoe with a wide forefoot/toe box.

Because of morton neuroma & other forefoot issues, I've switched to wearing Altra & Birkenstocks. Have been struggling to find a flat pedal MTB shoe with similar wide toe box.

I've searched the site & found some good threads that discussed Lakes & other options for clipless. Haven't found much for Flat pedals though.

The Five10's I've tried on in local stores still feel pretty cramped compared to Altra's & Birks. Have not been able to find a pair of bontrager flatlines to try on locally (heard they were pretty wide).

Thinking of making some sort of stiff insert for the flexy altra's but since they're running shoes, the soles tear up & do not grip the platform pedals well.

Any recs appreciated!

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I have two pair of Shimano flat pedal shoes, AM7 and GR7, that I'm very happy with. I find them pretty roomy in the toe box, roomier than 5-10s I've had or tried on, and roomier than any Bontrager or Specialized shoe I tried.

·
always licking the glass
4,031 Posts
I have two pair of Shimano flat pedal shoes, AM7 and GR7, that I'm very happy with. I find them pretty roomy in the toe box, roomier than 5-10s I've had or tried on, and roomier than any Bontrager or Specialized shoe I tried.
How's the arch support in them? The impacts were good but the freeriders seem to have a lot less and are hard for me to put long days in with even with orthotics.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
The Shimano shoes seem fine to me, but I'm not a good point of reference on arch support as my only complaint on arch support is when there's there's too much, otherwise I'm fine. The soles seem stiff enough so that aftermarket insoles or orthotics should work well.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've always had the problem of normal to wide-ish toes and a narrow heel. And it's funny because everyone is recommending Shimano. Their shoes suck for me. Try five ten. If you're looking for arch support, try Specialized. Their insoles have "body geometry" something, something marketing. It's a bit of support on the inside of your foot to keep your ankle in alignment.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I can second Shimano's flat pedal shoes as having more roomy toe boxes, but if you have a need for special insoles, well, you should get them from your doctor, or simply replace them.

I have high arches, and no shoes that I have ever bought in the past 6-7 years have had "enough" support for me, other than dress shoes that I'm not wearing/standing on for an extended period of time.

·
Premium Member
10,729 Posts
The RC shoes have a decent toebox, kinda odd fit, flat insole, but worth looking at. I'm riding and set and they're not bad overall, though mine have been causing arch pain as they break in/soften up.

The 2F0 is where I had good luck in the past, so I have a set of the 2.0 on the way. If youc an find a set of the 2019 on sale, they are a good all around shoe, newer version is improved in fit and use of hydrophobic materials. Ample toebox.

My buddy rides Addidas, he's had good luck with them, but the toe box is not all than big.

I have some Shimano GR9 which ride well, a tad soft, good wear, toe box is not all that ample, but a good all around shoe.

Maybe check out Bontragers...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am like you and need shoes with a wide toe box. I wore Altras for 5 years until they caused a muscle imbalance in my leg, now I can only wear them occasionally and when hiking. Asics Kayanos size 8.5 2E are now my daily shoe which are tolerable.
I have Altras Paradigm 3s and Lone Peaks both size 9.5.
My flat pedal biking shoe are 6 year old Five Ten regular Freeriders size 9. They are a really close fit but I like that for biking. The toe box is barely tolerable but not bad. I wouldn't wear them casually because they are a bit restrictive in the toe. I have them in size 9.5 too but don't wear them because I need a close fit for biking.
I have Five Ten Impact Karvers size 9.5 but something about the fit is weird and caused me to lose circulation in my toe on one of my rides.

Hopefully this helps. I think you should compare the Freerider and Impact and go from there. Freerider is my first choice though. Unless you can find these shoes in store you can try Zappos, they have a really good return policy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am like you and need shoes with a wide toe box. I wore Altras for 5 years until they caused a muscle imbalance in my leg, now I can only wear them occasionally and when hiking. Asics Kayanos size 8.5 2E are now my daily shoe which are tolerable.
I have Altras Paradigm 3s and Lone Peaks both size 9.5.
My flat pedal biking shoe are 6 year old Five Ten regular Freeriders size 9. They are a really close fit but I like that for biking. The toe box is barely tolerable but not bad. I wouldn't wear them casually because they are a bit restrictive in the toe. I have them in size 9.5 too but don't wear them because I need a close fit for biking.
I have Five Ten Impact Karvers size 9.5 but something about the fit is weird and caused me to lose circulation in my toe on one of my rides.

Hopefully this helps. I think you should compare the Freerider and Impact and go from there. Freerider is my first choice though. Unless you can find these shoes in store you can try Zappos, they have a really good return policy.
Not sure if you have seen them yet but Altra just a released a new shoe called the Grafton which looks like it might work really well for mountain biking.

https://www.altrarunning.com/shop/outdoor-adventure/mens-grafton-alm1965f?variationId=420#hero=0

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Not sure if you have seen them yet but Altra just a released a new shoe called the Grafton which looks like it might work really well for mountain biking.

https://www.altrarunning.com/shop/outdoor-adventure/mens-grafton-alm1965f?variationId=420#hero=0
I'm just about to pull the trigger on these. They look like 95% of what I've been trying to find in a biking shoe this past year (and someone with wide feet). Wouldn't mind a few more reviews from folks using them biking!

·
Read Only
0 Posts
You might want to take a look at these. I've had and currently have a pair of their riding shoes and the ones I've had have had a pretty roomie toe box and are extremely comfortable.

https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/shop/men/cycling-shoes/mountain/mens_x-alp_flow/p/15191904289
I actually just got those a few weeks ago. Plenty of room in the toe box, but on the first ride the toe cap had already separated. Too bad as they looked pretty nice and a good alternative to the skate shoe looking 5.10s. I ended up returning them.

Ordered the Altras and will report back when I get them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm just about to pull the trigger on these. They look like 95% of what I've been trying to find in a biking shoe this past year (and someone with wide feet). Wouldn't mind a few more reviews from folks using them biking!
A local store had these so I picked up a pair today. First thoughts are they are not as comfortable as other Altra shoes I have had. They are like a mix between a standard Altra trial shoe and a 5.10 shoe if that makes any sense. I had to go 1/2 size up and I have only been wearing them around the office as I just got them today. The back of the heal was digging in to my achilles so I took the insole out and I think it's going to be better, I'll just have to wear some thicker socks.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to ride with them this weekend and report back. Unless I decide to return them because of the heal problem. I'll wear them around the office all day tomorrow and decide if I want to keep them or not.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.