Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
If you remove your pedals, pack you pedal wrench with the bike. TSA will probably confiscate your pedal wrench. I know this because the Texas state government surplus store has a box of pedal wrenches because of this.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
If you remove your pedals, pack you pedal wrench with the bike. TSA will probably confiscate your pedal wrench. I know this because the Texas state government surplus store has a box of pedal wrenches because of this.
So many planes have been detoured to Barnuba Kui because of hijackers using pedal wrenches. It's on page 44 of the TSA manual, Section D-30. Here is the page, scroll down for 40 minutes until you find it: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/all

Thank God antlers are allowed.

·
U sayin' Bolt ?
1,364 Posts
I've carried on my helmet, pedals, shoes and saddle bag with multi tool, levers etc. The steel core levers looked like razor blades on the XRay. But no issues after they looked through it all. I would pull anything metal out and run it through seperately to make the process smoother.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've carried on my helmet, pedals, shoes and saddle bag with multi tool, levers etc. The steel core levers looked like razor blades on the XRay. But no issues after they looked through it all. I would pull anything metal out and run it through seperately to make the process smoother.
Perfect. Was just worried about my flats and somewhat my multitool.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
No. Just No.
5,368 Posts
Perfect. Was just worried about my flats and somewhat my multitool.
I've had TSA confiscate a single allen/hex wrench from my carry on, explaining that tools could be used to disassemble and access service panels and similar in the cabin or washrooms. No idea if that's really a thing or if they were going overboard that day. Either way, it's not like you can effectively argue the situation. I'd imagine a complete multitool would be at even more risk of getting confiscated.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,159 Posts
I've done it many times, never a problem.

I wouldn't take any tool or thing with a sharp edge that can be construed as a weapon.

Circlip, I do not believe that is a thing, lots of professionals will bring their tools with them as carry-ons, as long as they aren't sharp or could be used to hurt people. Most likely that was someone going overboard. If you encoutner such a situation, ask to see a supervisor, which is usually one with 2 or 3 stripes, explain the situation, I would imagine it would be fine. I have brought non-pointy multi-tools before and never had a problem. Once you get into "could be used to unscrew stuff", well, you could do that with car keys and any metal edge, so you've opened the gates up to just about everything. That doesn't pass the smell test IMO.

·
No. Just No.
5,368 Posts
Circlip, I do not believe that is a thing, lots of professionals will bring their tools with them as carry-ons, as long as they aren't sharp or could be used to hurt people. Most likely that was someone going overboard. If you encoutner such a situation, ask to see a supervisor, which is usually one with 2 or 3 stripes, explain the situation, I would imagine it would be fine. I have brought non-pointy multi-tools before and never had a problem. Once you get into "could be used to unscrew stuff", well, you could do that with car keys and any metal edge, so you've opened the gates up to just about everything. That doesn't pass the smell test IMO.
I agree on all points. I'm just saying that it did happen to me.

·
Registered
989 Posts
My shins will testify that my Chesters qualify as a weapon.
Got i have these nasty GTs with beartrap like cages. Shins just scream ER and stitches looking at them. I used thema couple times, and managed to gash a leg through shin guards with them!
And no, when i travel on job i do NOT carry tools on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.