Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
bikerbert
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of people running a flat bar with their 29er. Is there and advantage to doing that?

Thinking about trying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
For me flat with 5-8 degrees sweep is ideal. In my early teens I learned to ride with flats and I think it stuck with me. Yes I use risers in DH but XC flats :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Whatever fits - I have a riser bar on mine - could care less what other people think... biking, not people pleasing

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
The advantage is being able to get your bars lower. 29ers typically are taller at the top of the head tube than 26ers (depending on head tube length). I run a flat bar and a flipped stem (-6 degrees) on one of my 29ers. That bike is for XC. I run a riser bar on my AM 29er.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Thinking about a flat for my 29er for the reasons Thor29 cites. I find I like the sweep and rise angles of my current riser, so I need to figure out what that translates to in a flat, which typically specifies sweep only.

At the end of the day, it's only the location and orientation of your grips that matters. How they got there is just a detail.

·
Yeet so hard
680 Posts
Big Wide flat bar on the SS 29er, I say its for more torque, but I think I secretly like slamming my knuckles into trees

·
Formerly of Kent
12,349 Posts
Or you can rotate the bar forward to achieve sweep and "tilt"...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,390 Posts
The advantage is being able to get your bars lower. 29ers typically are taller at the top of the head tube than 26ers (depending on head tube length). I run a flat bar and a flipped stem (-6 degrees) on one of my 29ers. That bike is for XC. I run a riser bar on my AM 29er.
This. I have a low-rise bar on my AM 29er for this reason. Otherwise the front end would be ridiculously high.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
In addition to being simply necessary to get the desired riding position on a 29er, flat bars are stiffer (for the same weight) or lighter (for the same stiffness) than riser bars, because there are fewer bends.

Rotating the bar is one way to adjust tilt. Works on a riser or flat all the same.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can change wrist angle a bit depending on what angle your risers were swept at and so force your elbows out more as your arms try to maintain a straight wrist-forearm alignment.

At least that's my experience as I find that toward the end of long rides I'm wishing my flat bars were much more swept back so I could just lock my arms out straight on the final road section home.

·
Banned
266 Posts
My bars are .5" higher than my saddle with a flat bar a 0* stem. Risers just put me to upright with my hands to high. Actually thinking about dropping my fork back down to 100mm to lower the front end some.

Talk about an adjustment when I get on the road bike and the bars are 2" below the saddle.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
So no one using risers on a 29er is in the "desired riding position?"
If you see someone using flat bars on a 29er, one explanation is that it is necessary for them to get the desired riding position. Is that sufficiently clear?

There are other reasons (weight saving, ergonomics and aesthetics) as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your weight will be more over the front wheel. you will be more bent over on climbs. Git bar ends for climbing leverage and more comfortable wrists when climbing.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I use a riser on my hard tail 29r Flash carbon and it works for me. I did not like the flat bar that came with it stock and I wanted a little more upright position. I used bar ends in the past, but I honestly don't miss them anymore. I climb just fine with out them. All of this is a personal preference though and is something you really need to work out for yourself. What works for others may not work for you.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I'm 5'5" and to get a reasonable hand position on a 29er I'd have to run a flat bar and a flipped stem. Low center of gravity equalls confident handling. That's what I've found playing with stems and spacers.
I completely ignored this untill I borrowed a friend's bike with the grips around 5cm lower than mine. No wonder my front end used to wash out on me all the time - there was no weight on it. I went on and ordered a new bar 7 stem the same night.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts