Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
after a medical visit where the doctor cheked my and my bike's measures (antropometric visit), they suggested me to lower my stem of about 2.5-3 cm. I ride a scalpel carbon 100 08 with riser bar (FSA Kforce carbon). In order to lower those 2.5-3 cm i'd have possible 3 choices:
1) replace the riser bar with a flat bar (flat FSA Kforce is just 2.5 cm lower);
2) replace the stem with a much more sloped one (now i've SI integrated 120 mm stem with -5° angle), for example -20° (but i was told that -20° SI integrated stem does not exist);
3) a mid way between "flattening" a little the bar (for example taking a low riser one) and lowering the stem.
At this time i thing i'll go with a FSA flat bar, even though i don't like flat bars so much, i absolutely prefer riser once.
Is it true that -20° SI integrated stem does not exist? I'd not like moving to a non integrated stem, so SI for me should be mandatory.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HAL 9000 said:
Since when did doctors become bike fit experts and your running a negative rize stem WITH riser bars?
I went in a sport oriented medical center, where they have the equipment for taking measures and making bike fitting, not an ordinary clinical doctor. I run with -5 ° SI stem and riser bar since 2 years ago, but -5 ° is not so sloopy: i had to read the angle to realize i had a negative stem (- 5° means negative, isn't it?)

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Changing the bar would be the easiest way and it accomplishes what you are asking for.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hal
I run a negative stem and riser bars.
The reason is that the Easton Monkeylite SL is the bar I like and a 100mm -20 degree stem is the way to get it in the right place.

It's also a lot easier to swap a stem (to say a 100mm -5 degree) than reorganise the brakes, shifers and grips on to a new bar when I feel like it.

If I was a weight weenie racer I might find a lighter way to do it, but it works fine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nicholasc2 said:
Hal
The reason is that the Easton Monkeylite SL is the bar I like and a 100mm -20 degree stem is the way to get it in the right place.

It's also a lot easier to swap a stem (to say a 100mm -5 degree) than reorganise the brakes, shifers and grips on to a new bar when I feel like it.

If I was a weight weenie racer I might find a lighter way to do it, but it works fine.
Thanks to everybody at the moment for their suggestions! If you have more, you're welcome!
@nicholasc2: which kind of stem is your -20°? Not SI i suppose...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nicholasc2 said:
Thanks nicholasc2! It's tha same stem i've on my "old" 04 Jekyll and i use it the way you suggest me (-20° +riser bars). But for Scalpel i'd prefer not to move to 2 pieces stem. Maybe somewhere i've seen the integrated SI one piece stem with -20°, i think just after it came out (about 2 years ago), am I wrong?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Good luck jina - I don't have an answer.
Since I bought that bike I've found that avoiding bike shops and the latest technology is a great way to save money.
My bike is still lighter than anyone else I ride with so hopefully it lasts a bit longer.

·
Banned
25 Posts
nicholasc2 said:
Hal

this guy has the right idea... on my F29 i use a ec90 sl riser handlebar (its ~630mm wide and weighs ~140gr). on the hardtail 29er i think the wide bar is a must. i cannot find a 630 wide flat bar that even comes close to this weight. at least bontrager has a race x lite flat bar in ~620mm but its 175gr i think (and most likely more like 185-190gr). sure ec90 flat bar is 100gr but its also 560mm wide. ec70 is 560mm and weighs as much or MORE than ec90sl riser. so... yes riser bar with negative stem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.