Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a small camping flashlight for overnight bike touring.

I currently have two homebuilt bike lights (both of them are triple Seouls), but am not planning on using them as we will not be riding at night, I don't need that many lumens, and I don't want to carry all of that weight.

I am looking for something small, preferably lightweight, decent runtime, that uses regular batteries (ones that you would be able to buy at a gas station). Ideally I would like it to be as bright as possible and be relatively inexpensive (looking to spend around $30 - $50). Initially I was looking at the LED mini maglight, but I have seen mixed reviews on them and was wondering if I would be better off purchasing something else.

any suggestions?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, but I'd prefer ordering from allbattery as I need to pick up another battery pack and shipping to Canada is expensive and a PITA so if possible I'd like everything to come from the same online store.

Unfortunately, after looking through all of the LED flashlights on allbattery (which I did before posting this question), I came to the conclusion that I had no idea as to which one may or may not be better than the others since I am not really a flashlight junkie. That's why I posted the question here - to hopefully get some informed opinions on which flashlights were better than the others (or even to have somebody say "there's really no difference in them, order what you want").

I used to own a mini maglite (original) and was looking at the new LED ones. I can buy one close to me for about $25. That being said the reviews I've seen for them tend to be not so great and I'm not even sure if there is different power levels available for it (although it appears that you can still focus the beam by twisting the head). Also, it seems that I can get a flashlight with a much higher lumen rating online for cheaper than the maglite, but that doen't mean that it's going to be a better flashlight - again, I was hoping to get some informed opinions.

For a flashlight where I'm worried about the weight of it, I would assume that having the ability to dim the beam (and prolong the battery life) would be a useful thing, especially for overnight bike touring. A dim beam might be a good thing for finding a place to pee in the middle of the night, but when I hear weird noises coming from the forest I'm pretty sure I'm going to also want a beam that's able to light up the night.

so...any suggestions (of flashlights, not places to buy them ;) )

G

·
x-ker
for what you will be doing I would go for a head torch so as to have my hands free, but the one on allbattery isn't very good (good value though)
If you want hand held and from allbattery, in your price range then the choice is small.

So I would get 2 head lights as very cheap so have a spare or.......

Attachments

·
surfer w/out waves
613 Posts
princetontec makes great dive lights... I also recommend Pelican too.

Although, my duty lights are all StreamLight (Stinger, TL2, SL-100)... never been let down by any of 'em!!!!

·
Registered
989 Posts
I use a PrincetonTec EOS for my backup headlight when night trail riding. Two power modes and a blink mode. I've used it a few times already when primary lights failed (myself once, friend once) and was bright enough as an emergency light where you could still ride instead of walk out. Runs on 3 AAAs. Waterproof, tested in shower.
I use SureFire Nitrolons for work, and just picked up the LED version. Nice, but run on Lithium 123 batteries which aren't as common as AAs and such. Also watertested in shower.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers, thanks for everyone's help.

I ended up ordering a flashlight that should have a decent amount of throw, and will be picking up a hand's free for around camp from MEC tonight. Great suggestion, as I'd fogotten how useful those can be when you're trying to do things that require two hands (without having to hold a flashlight in your mouth).

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I've just ordered 2 of these ...

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14445

Cheap and hopefully they'll have full output or very near of 18650 batterys so 2hour+ run times.

I've used lesser power R2's @200lumens which are very good but on CR123a's the run time is poor and they barely put out 50lumens with a 18650 in there :(

Give me a week so I can confirm 18650's are fine, 5 modes and $26 so cheaper than anything else going, 500lumens with both on, will do me nicely :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.