Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the rant, but it's something that really pi$$es me off everytime I see it. Why are there a$$holes designing FLASH only sites on the web? The worst part is the sites that are running this crap are the really big sites who should be hiring people who know better than this. FLASH may be great for people w/ broad-band/ADSL or that sort, but for someone on dial-up it F***ing suck$ a$$ and is seriously annoying. If you know what you're doing you might design a flash site, BUT you also give the option on running the site in HTML as well.

This was brought on by trying to visit GT's site and finding out it's another flash only site created by some super geni-a$$ web designer who doesn't seriously think about the masses. Seriously what percentage of the world do these designers figure have high-speed internet or are gona sit around waiting on flash crap to load if they r on dial-up? Always amazes me why they call it "common sense" since it really isn't that common.

rant over

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I totally agree. and it is not just Flash.
Big no-nos to me are:
  • Browser specific sites. PITA to use sites that require the latest PC version of IE when you are on a Mac (MS stopped development of Mac IE after v5.2.3)
  • Streaming video on the home page that has to load completely before the html content loads
  • Massive graphic-only site "navigation"
  • Having a new window open every time you click on a new area (ie Fox Shox)
  • Forcing users to download PDF content files instead of just having the info in html
  • ANYTHING that increases load time just because it is cool or just because you can do it.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Agreed

Even with cable speed those sites are annoying. Why do I have to click on "ENTER" to enter? Didn't I already try to enter by using their URL?

Then there's the silly hiding of information. All I want is a simple index that lists their products. It's not just the big companies that do it, it's also the startups that are trying to look like they're big-time outfits.

Kudos to Park Tool for keeping the site simple and fast.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
pacman said:
Even with cable speed those sites are annoying. Why do I have to click on "ENTER" to enter? Didn't I already try to enter by using their URL?

Then there's the silly hiding of information. All I want is a simple index that lists their products. It's not just the big companies that do it, it's also the startups that are trying to look like they're big-time outfits.

Kudos to Park Tool for keeping the site simple and fast.
Yup. A basic rule of thumb is anything on the site should be accessable within 3 clicks. Some of these "hi-tech" sites take more than that just to get in!

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I agree. I hate going to a website and having to wait through some stupid freaking cartoon. MB parts and accessory companies are among the worst. I can only assume it's because they are of the opinion they are marketing to children who will spend money only if sufficiently entertained.

Do what I do. Email them and voice your dissatisfaction.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
I'm annoyed by JavaScript, mainly b/c my computer is weird that way. Doesn't support it for some reason. Stops me from opening many things.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Christine said:
I'm annoyed by JavaScript, mainly b/c my computer is weird that way. Doesn't support it for some reason. Stops me from opening many things.
I have some problems with javascripts, too. In additions to some "features" not working I have had a couple of sites crash my browser.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
The definition of Web site design/navigation h3ll!

http://www.foxracingshox.com

Count how many "enter" windows and new windows open as you try to go through the site.

My "favorite" is when you click on the "products" button in the side nav. bar a graphic "Click here to check out the 05 lineup" loads (which may already be displayed).
Click on the graphic, a new window opens with basically the same "05 lineup" graphic plus an "enter" button.
Click on "Enter" and another new window opens. The animated "Welcome" screen takes 10-15 secs. to load (on DSL) to just give me a choice of going to Forks or Shocks.
Click on either of those and it is another 10-20 secs of animations loading before I get anything useful.
It all "looks" cool. If I was using dialup I would has left the site before the second new screen.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The guys designing these sites feel the need to justify their expense. When showing the web page to the customer(i.e Rock Shox, etc), the designer shows off the "gee-whiz" factor and gets "oohs and ahhhs" from everyone because they are likely viewing it as an offline demo and it is running lickety split. It is the old, "the more crap the better" philsophy that so many people buy into.

·
Banned
2,227 Posts
shiggy said:
The definition of Web site design/navigation h3ll!
Most flash sites are overkill but...people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones about cludgy nav menus.

For instance, http://www.mtbtires.com/ needs some very serious work from a layout and menu standpoint.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
"I have some problems with javascripts, too. In additions to some "features" not working I have had a couple of sites crash my browser."

Even on these bike boards, I can't simply click on a smilie. I have to first figure out the "long-hand" way it's done, and spell it out. Each site has slightly different code for the smilies, too. And you know how important they are!! :rolleyes: (<- which I have to type as "rolleyes" with colons on each end.)

Can't post photos or click on any icons. Drives me nuts. BUT, I also don't see any annoying pop-ups or banner ads that everybody else complains about :D (<- this guy looks like "colon + capital D" on my computer.)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I'm not a fan of flash sites either, but

...Give credit where credit is due.

Don't blame the website designers for the sites. They are paid to design a site that the client (in this case GT) wants. If GT wants a flash site, they will find a flash designer, and have them build one. Most web designers would suggest alternatives to flash for the very reasons you mention. The designers are just doing what the client instructs them to do.

Chris

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Padre said:
You mean....there are people STILL using dial-up? Wow....I thought that went out when plumbing came indoors....
Why do you think there are so many AOL/Netscape/NetZero/Earthlink/PeoplePC commericals on TV?

I could not get broadband in Veneta.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Crusty Oldman said:
I use Mozilla with pop-ups disabled, and I refuse to download the Flash plug-in.

Problem solved.
That's me, I love Mozilla and refuse to DL and install the flash plug-in.

I totally agree. and it is not just Flash.
Big no-nos to me are:

* Browser specific sites. PITA to use sites that require the latest PC version of IE when you are on a Mac (MS stopped development of Mac IE after v5.2.3)
* Streaming video on the home page that has to load completely before the html content loads
* Massive graphic-only site "navigation"
* Having a new window open every time you click on a new area (ie Fox Shox)
* Forcing users to download PDF content files instead of just having the info in html
* ANYTHING that increases load time just because it is cool or just because you can do it.
Thanks for adding to and clarifying the list Shiggy, browser specific sites are up there among the things I hate the most.

ctxcrossx ...Give credit where credit is due.

Don't blame the website designers for the sites. They are paid to design a site that the client (in this case GT) wants. If GT wants a flash site, they will find a flash designer, and have them build one. Most web designers would suggest alternatives to flash for the very reasons you mention. The designers are just doing what the client instructs them to do.
Are you insane it's exactly like what chip allen said they design the sites and run the demo of them off-line so it looks pretty and loads like lightening, PLUS then all the big shots in those companies have adsl/T1/T2 etc so thewy would never notice. ALso they only use IE and would never consider using another browser.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.