Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I bike, I brew
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice on the present conditions for riding in Flagstaff? Specifically looking at the Mt. Eldon runs (Sunset on down) - Wanting to know if snow remains / too muddy to ride?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Been toasty up here in Flag the last couple days so I imagine most of it will be melted off. Gonna be riding the Dry Lake Hills on Sat and can give a better report then

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm heading up in a couple weeks. What's the status of Little Bear and the waterline road? I'm assuming still closed due to the fire?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm heading up in a couple weeks. What's the status of Little Bear and the waterline road? I'm assuming still closed due to the fire?
Affirm, most of the waterline road was washed away after the Schultz fire due to heavy flooding and erosion. I believe the whole fire area is still closed, FS is working on reseeding some 6,000 acres of the burn which could take a while

·
Registered
544 Posts
I suspect that Sunset from the top of Elden likely still has some snow on it. Heck, there's still the occasional patch of snow on the side of the roads in town.

Trails with good sun exposure should be fine.

Also, I'm not sure if the Elden road is still gated or open.

-db-

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Both Elden Lookout and Schultz Pass Roads are open. Dogfood, Dogtreat, Motos, and Secret are clear and getting dusty at lower elevations. Sunset still has some snow on it and probably sections of Upper Brookbank and Sunset in the vicinity of Hobbit Forest. If sushi is your bag that's clear from the rd down but there's a big tree down toward the bottom.

L. Bear is still closed but folks have been riding it. I don't think the closure is really being enforced. It got a lot of work last summer but to be honest it's not really that fun. There's probably still snow in the upper part of the L. Elden drainage if you do decide to go that way. Get out and get some. Snow will be toast in less than a week and then let's hope for some rain to keep things open. It's dry out there.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Hey, if any of you Flagstaff riders see anyone with my stolen camping gear, I'm offering a $200 reward for its return. One of the guys at Peace Surplus said he wouldn't be surprised if someone migrating north at this time of year took my stuff. He told me there is some area up in Flagstaff where all the transients camp, so if you know anyone that rides that area or hikes it, I would appreciate it if they looked for the camping gear detailed in this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/my-sedona-mtb-experience-781430.html

Thanks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had a surgery to repair my hand in a nasty crash at the papago dirt jumps three weeks ago. But its only three more weeks till dry flagstaff trails! Oh and my cast comes off in three weeks too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey, if any of you Flagstaff riders see anyone with my stolen camping gear, I'm offering a $200 reward for its return. One of the guys at Peace Surplus said he wouldn't be surprised if someone migrating north at this time of year took my stuff. He told me there is some area up in Flagstaff where all the transients camp, so if you know anyone that rides that area or hikes it, I would appreciate it if they looked for the camping gear detailed in this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/my-sedona-mtb-experience-781430.html

Thanks.
Will keep an eye out for you up here. Real shame someone would steal your equipment. As for the OP, rode Sunset from Schultz tank to Upper Brookbank, Pickle, Ginger, and Lower Oldham today. Pretty much all of them are clear save for some snow patches on Upper Brookbank and several downed trees. You should be golden riding Sunset even from the top, there might be an occasional patch but overall it won't impede your ride

·
Registered
544 Posts
Did Schultz - Sunset - Upper Brookbank - Schultz today. Patches of snow on Sunset and Brookbank but these could be gone by the end of the week.

Two trees down on Sunset; six (one rideable) on Brookbank.

Otherwise the trails are in good shape.

-db-

1 - 18 of 18 Posts