Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

141 - 160 of 189 Posts

·
The .05 percent
1,045 Posts
Had some lady freak out on me after I politely asked to pass on Shultz and she moved over. Her friend didn't get the message, slammed on her brakes almost taking out all 3 of us and yelled at me. I asked what her issue was as I politely asked to get by. Didn't wan2 finish the last mile of ride at snails pace.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey Rockman, will there ever be some easier shuttling trails(not Snowbowl) to meet that demand? Maybe a Schultz Creek difficulty decent but downhill only. Is Woody Mountain a future possibility for shuttling trails?

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Hey Rockman, will there ever be some easier shuttling trails(not Snowbowl) to meet that demand? Maybe a Schultz Creek difficulty decent but downhill only. Is Woody Mountain a future possibility for shuttling trails?
This has been brainstormed before. One area discussed was O'Leary off the road to the towers at the top but the soils are not ideal. It's largely composed of cinder and pumice. Woody Mtn was discussed during FTI trail planning but there are owl issues as well as blocks of state trust land. It's worth having a look at the FTI recommendations. p. 26-34. http://flagstafftrailsinitiative.or...gstaff-Regional-Trail-Strategy_11-26-2019.pdf

Another idea we had and also brought up in a stakeholder meeting with snowbowl was to adopt and realign powerline trail below Viet Spring. It's already a zone of high impact and a utility corridor. Some call it Flying Fish but that was the trail above Viet with the janky wooden stunts that got closed. It would be an ideal location for a machine built flow trail with berms and tabletops and could easily be shuttled and would help to take the dh traffic off AZT below Aspen Corner. And if and when Snowbowl ever does offer lift access biking at the end of the day you could finish it off with a 4000' descent!

The question is how can you get up high to come back down? The best one would have been Weatherford Rd which went all the way up to the ridgeline between Agassiz and Humphrey's Peaks. Of course that's out of the question because it's now the Kachina Peaks wilderness.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The increased shuttle traffic on Schultz Creek trail has drawn the ire of many locals. Really it's not just shuttles but poor etiquette overall with folks riding like it's a directional DH trail but also hikers refusing to move or that annoying runner you end up trying to pass but have their ear buds in.

One approach by an angry local is to print bumper stickers indicating how many kittens will die each time the trail is shuttled. Rather than social shaming what do you'all think about this sign we're mocking up to install at the top?

View attachment 1361615
It's been discussed before but worth repeating that "downhill" and "uphill" can be ambiguous. Here it means "downhill moving" and "uphill moving". Others have interpreted it differently and they aren't wrong.

-db-

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
It's been discussed before but worth repeating that "downhill" and "uphill" can be ambiguous. Here it means "downhill moving" and "uphill moving". Others have interpreted it differently and they aren't wrong.

-db-

Seems unambiguous to me? I'm not sure what other meanings apply to downhill and uphill. If folks interpret a different message from the sign then they are likely those that can't be reached anyway. At least it's an attempt at education and outreach. Lots of complaining going on but few offer solutions.

·
Registered
938 Posts
What are thoughts on having even and odd day specific trails? Something like even hikers only odd bikers only?

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
What are thoughts on having even and odd day specific trails? Something like even hikers only odd bikers only?
Personally I'm not in favor of odd-even days. Seems like we should all able to play nice and hopefully MEDL will address the need for directional bike trails and hiking trails.

As for Schultz Creek it's part of the Arizona National Scenic Trail and odd-even or directionality is not part of the management plan. Decisions are guided by the National Trail Systems Act and the AZT is managed in different ways than most trails. Also one reason for the reroutes on the lower end with the idea of getting the trail off old roadbeds state-wide.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Closure of dog food is only going to exacerbate trail conflict on Shultz. I’m curious why they picked dog food of all trails to block off. I know it’s a social trail, but so are so many others and that one kept a fair amount of traffic off Shultz

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Closure of dog food is only going to exacerbate trail conflict on Shultz. I’m curious why they picked dog food of all trails to block off. I know it’s a social trail, but so are so many others and that one kept a fair amount of traffic off Shultz
It's not Dogfood that was closed. They closed Lost Dog which is in the drainage just to the west. I guess rather than catch the builders they just decided to close it. The excuse I got was that it was redundant with Dogfood which indeed it is although arguably more fun.

·
slower than you
1,264 Posts
... adopt and realign powerline trail below Viet Spring. It's already a zone of high impact and a utility corridor. Some call it Flying Fish...
Some say it's called Lamar Heinous and I, having ridden it many times in both directions, am inclined to concur.

·
slower than you
1,264 Posts
It's not Dogfood that was closed. They closed Lost Dog which is in the drainage just to the west. I guess rather than catch the builders they just decided to close it. The excuse I got was that it was redundant with Dogfood which indeed it is although arguably more fun.
I wish to stipulate that philosphically, mathematically, spiritually, metaphysically, scientifically, geopolitically, a singletrack trail can NEVER be construed as being redundant with a full-on sh!tbox of a stupid old jeep road because they are philosphically, mathematically, spiritually, metaphysically, scientifically, geopolitically NOT at all the same thing.

·
The .05 percent
1,045 Posts
I got taken out by one of the sticks filling the ditch crossing s last spring. F that trail...

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,014 Posts
Rather than social shaming what do you'all think about this sign we're mocking up to install at the top?
Would definitely make the trail rules bigger/bolder...

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Ahh.. my bad.
Not a huge loss then in my opinion. Seemed a little redundant and not much fun up or down.

·
My other ride is your mom
5,440 Posts
I've been riding my moondust tires all summer...never got a chance to take them off during our 1 week monsoon season.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
The wind event wreaked havoc earlier this week. Trails with one or more downed trees are Schultz, Little Elden, Little Bear, lower Sunset, Lower Oldham, and Rocky Ridge.

They should get cut out in the next week or so but if anyone gets out on other trails in the network please report them. GPS coordinates are nice but a good description or pic will suffice. https://flagstaffbiking.org/mountain/trail-program/report-trail-conditions/

Schultz_20201029_1.jpg

141 - 160 of 189 Posts