Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be up in flagstaff with the family next week. Will there be any place to ride that is not muddy? Highs are in the 50’s and I’m ok riding in temps above 38 or so. I’m staying near Shultz why. I’ll take anything I can get. I might drop down to Sedona but that is a lot of time away from family and I am taking the only car

·
Registered
324 Posts
The Campbell Mesa are trails were all OK to ride this past weekend. Flagstaff Loop Trail and AZT @ Walnut Canyon were OK in the morning but got muddy as the ground thawed during the day. I did not venture on any of the stuff up by Schultz so I can't say regarding the condition of any of those trails. Sedona should be perfect though!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Upper and lower Rocky Ridge were all good to go about two weeks ago. We have had rain since then but I don't see them being too different especially if you are not here until next week. I have been running on fat mans, Christmas tree and some of little elden (until the new heart turn off) and all that has been dry. It might be a bit muddy after heart since the shade increases so I would be wary.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Little Elden is real wet still after the turn off from the new Heart Trail. If your on it early I bet it still would be ok but not a great idea as it warms up. Seeing the damage from folks recently is kind of a bummer if you've been a part of building that new section.

·
slower than you
1,264 Posts
I will be up in flagstaff with the family next week. Will there be any place to ride that is not muddy? Highs are in the 50’s and I’m ok riding in temps above 38 or so. I’m staying near Shultz why. I’ll take anything I can get. I might drop down to Sedona but that is a lot of time away from family and I am taking the only car
all the southern aspects, rocky ridge, nightranger, lower oldham, forces of nature, pipeline etc, all the way past fat mans to sandy seep, are currently dry and clear but for the occasional blown down tree.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the other hand, northern aspects and shady regions still have snow. Here's a photo taken today on Schultz Pass Road.

-db-

That looks nice. Worth renting a fat bike? (Current bike 27.5x2.6)
would waterline be rideable or muddy? I would think if Shultz rd has snow waterline probably would also.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
That looks nice. Worth renting a fat bike? (Current bike 27.5x2.6)
would waterline be rideable or muddy? I would think if Shultz rd has snow waterline probably would also.
Perhaps if you get out early while it's still frozen. Otherwise, if you are getting on trails it will be a mixed bag with wet and muddy sections. Cosmic is rents fat bikes but have sold most of their fleet.

From the Y a loop with L. Oldham and Rocky Ridge and then over to fort Valley and Chimney and Moto is do-able. 6275 rd is what is dry and climbable. I haven't been on Dogfood but that might be covered in slash from thinning in the area. Either way there's 2 hours of riding to be had without getting too muddy or impacting trails. You won't get very far up Schultz Creek trail before it's a no-go.

·
slower than you
1,264 Posts
Perhaps if you get out early while it's still frozen. Otherwise, if you are getting on trails it will be a mixed bag with wet and muddy sections. Cosmic is rents fat bikes but have sold most of their fleet.

From the Y a loop with L. Oldham and Rocky Ridge and then over to fort Valley and Chimney and Moto is do-able. 6275 rd is what is dry and climbable. I haven't been on Dogfood but that might be covered in slash from thinning in the area. Either way there's 2 hours of riding to be had without getting too muddy or impacting trails. You won't get very far up Schultz Creek trail before it's a no-go.
All the Dogfoods below the pipeline are all clear and quite dry, and some kind soul has removed all the limb litter from them that the Onceler left behind. Nearby social trails are fully obliterated or buried under massive quantities of organic matter. Above the pipeline upper Dogfood is still pretty wet and in places the snowfields are still large and deep, making it generally impassable in an uphill direction without a lot of walking. Lower Hotshot is clear and dry in general, as is Mullet/KY Waterfall and lower Moto.

Schultz is a frozen, sloppy, rutted mess and, from the sound of it, the handcrews are out noisily sawyering the western ridges of Dry Lake Hills above the trail, too. No fun.

Upper Dogfood, 07 Mar 20

Attachments

·
slower than you
1,264 Posts
The deep drainage on AZT above the Hotshot intersection is completely impassible due to several very large snapped and exploded trees across the trail. Lots of snow in this vicinity still... snow and big downed trees on lower rustypipe, too.

Several massive log decks atop the AZT where it crosses Weatherford Rd.

Easter Island is clear of snow and trees but is at flood stage. Old lower moto (cruiser nation route) may be salvageable with a little volunteer labor.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Nice repeat photo Rocky! Tis spring for sure.

For those on AZT the FS is aware of the log deck and slash that has basically obliterated the trail for a hundred yards or so. There's also a hazard tree about 1 mile up Schultz Creek trail. It's about chest high on a corner.

AZT_6275rd.jpg

·
slower than you
1,264 Posts
Still a bit of a snowy trudge on the last verdant slope on Schultz below Lincoln logs gate. Large pockets of leftover snow can still be seen from Gnarly, Elden Spring, Secret and elsewhere if you’re up above 8200’ or soon the southern aspects. The water is still dribbling and drabbling in pleasant ways down most of the largest drainages in the Dry Lake and Ft Valley areas. All that to say, spring has officially arrived in Norte Arizona!

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
The trees on the upper end of Schultz Creek trail got cut out the end of last week. There's a couple down on L. Bear and a big one on upper Moto. FS will be getting to those this week. Sunset from the tank to L. Bear is clear. AZT out by Aspen Corner at 9000' still has snow. Please use this reporting form if you come across deadfall. https://flagstaffbiking.org/mountain/trail-program/report-trail-conditions/

In trail news, Little Elden is complete with new signage going in next week. ACE has another mile or so to go on Heart. Work will being on the lower Schultz Creek reroute out of the drainage and off the road today. Trail Faeries have the green light on realigning a section of the Arizona trail connector west of the 420 rd. No word on when Elden Lookout rd will reopen. There is a 2-week construction project about to start now that the flood retention work with Natural Channel Design has been completed below the climbing area and adjacent to Lower Oldham trail.

1 - 20 of 189 Posts