Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The family and I are looking to escape from the Tucson heat this summer, and think that a long weekend riding in Flagstaff may be the ticket.

Any advice on trailsystems where we can link together some fun half-day loops or point to points? My boys are fit 15 & 13 year old AICL racers, so some climbs and miles would be welcome.

·
Ahhh the pain....
2,566 Posts
Some options still...
1. Tuthill loops + the Rogers Lake Lolipop is fun
2. A loop of Flag Loop trail south of town and the AZT Eq bypass along Walnut canyon is great (and quite scenic)
3. AZT north of Ft valley trails all the way up to FR418. Quite a grind going north, but the DH from near snow bowl to FR418 is great.
4. New trails up on Observatory Mesa are not bad for a quick spin and a little climbing
5. If you can work your way around the closures via the pipeline (which is open), you can get on Waterline rd which is a nice climb up to the inner basin.
Hope that helps!

·
My other ride is your mom
5,441 Posts
According to RockMan, we may be looking at a modification to the closure order in the next few weeks based on any progress the logging company has made.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The AZT section north of Walnut Canyon is a great ride that can be connected with the Flagstaff Loop Trail from almost anywhere in Flagstaff.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hi, tagging along on this thread.
I am coming down from Durango to Flag this week on our way to Cali. We are driving through with our bikes and a 13'scamp camper. If the riding and camping is good we will spend a few days there.

I did read the sticky, but the magic camp/bike with a family was not addressed.

Is there a good place to camp where we can access rides without having to jump in the car or ride the road forever?

I have 2 boys 3 and 8 (rippers) so it would be awesome if there were some stacked loops that we could all ride and swap back and forth. Some longer rides that I could jump on before the rest of the crew wake up would be cool too.

Thanks for helping.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I did a lot of camping in the Fort Valley area last summer as that had a good combination of easily accessible dispersed camping and decent trail choice. I wouldn't say it excelled at either, but was a good trade off for both. I'm not sure how impacted this area is from recent logging or if it is fully open yet.

I'd also make a plug for Prescott as an alternative, which has been my go to so far this summer. Much better developed trail system that can keep you entertained for days, good camping (if a little busy for my taste) in the Thumb Butte area, as well as other areas which I am not yet familiar with.

Have fun!

Hi, tagging along on this thread.
I am coming down from Durango to Flag this week on our way to Cali. We are driving through with our bikes and a 13'scamp camper. If the riding and camping is good we will spend a few days there.

I did read the sticky, but the magic camp/bike with a family was not addressed.

Is there a good place to camp where we can access rides without having to jump in the car or ride the road forever?

I have 2 boys 3 and 8 (rippers) so it would be awesome if there were some stacked loops that we could all ride and swap back and forth. Some longer rides that I could jump on before the rest of the crew wake up would be cool too.

Thanks for helping.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I did a lot of camping in the Fort Valley area last summer as that had a good combination of easily accessible dispersed camping and decent trail choice. I wouldn't say it excelled at either, but was a good trade off for both. I'm not sure how impacted this area is from recent logging or if it is fully open yet.

I'd also make a plug for Prescott as an alternative, which has been my go to so far this summer. Much better developed trail system that can keep you entertained for days, good camping (if a little busy for my taste) in the Thumb Butte area, as well as other areas which I am not yet familiar with.

Have fun!

I agree with this. Flagstaff.....the land of so much untapped potential.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I love Prescott and Flag. For Flag, camping by Fort Tuthill is good, you can get to pretty quiet areas within 5min from town/I17 or REALLY quiet areas in 20 if you go SW on 231/Woody Mountain Rd. Coordinates of a decent set of dispersed sites for a camper is this:
35.1495865, -111.7383241

You can hop onto the Rogers Lake lollipop directly from there, passes right by camp.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts