Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
11,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anything happening in Flagstaff this Weekend (aug 14)? I thought I heard tell of a bike thingy(?) or something. Planning on hittin' the trails Sat and Sun.

Can you camp on schultz rd yet and what are the fire restrictions now? Could a person use a hibatchi (briquette BBQ)?

Do you have to pay fees etc, register with the Forest Service?

How's the weather look for this weekend? Last weekend was great with the rain and all. Not often us So'AZ people get to hit trails with wet rocks and mud on them.

Thanks,

David

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
rockcrusher said:
Anything happening in Flagstaff this Weekend (aug 14)? I thought I heard tell of a bike thingy(?) or something. Planning on hittin' the trails Sat and Sun.

Can you camp on schultz rd yet and what are the fire restrictions now? Could a person use a hibatchi (briquette BBQ)?

How's the weather look for this weekend? Last weekend was great with the rain and all. Not often us So'AZ people get to hit trails with wet rocks and mud on them.

Thanks,

David
looks like it's going to be thunderstorming there like usual, start riding at the crack of dawn and you'll get some good riding in, could start downpouring at around 10am...

you do not want to be caught on elden in a severe thunderstorm...it's russian roulette right now, they can pop up and start lightning/storming in as little as 30 minutes...

i dont know if i'll try to go riding in flag this weekend, but if I do I'll definitely have to start early :D

·
Glutton for punishment
581 Posts
Some answers:

AFAIK, not a lot of organized riding going on, much disorganized riding will happen though. You can camp off of Schultz if you want to, there are a number of primitive camping spots (no toilets/showers/beer gardens) that you can use. The Forest Service seems all right with BBQ but we got a warning and a lecture a couple weeks ago from a ranger saying that the whole area is off limits for campfires at all times.

Enjoy!

Scott

·
Registered
385 Posts
rockcrusher said:

Thanks,

David
We camped on Schultz Pass Rd. just past the cattle guard on the left a couple weeks ago. No probs with using a grill/stove, but I think campfires are still a no go. It looked like a nicer are is up farther near Schultz Tank. There was a bathroom there and it looked a lot quieter. Where we were, the campgrounds were pretty messy (lots of litter) and there is a lot of traffic lower down the road. The only nice thing about camping lower down is there is easier access to the Schultz Creek/Rocky Ridge/Lower Moto etc. trails.

John

·
Registered
39 Posts
There are no fire restrictions. If it was only a few weeks ago that ScottN got lectured, then somebody must have been on a power trip. All fire restrictions were lifted as of July 21st. Maybe they weren't far enough out the road ?? Anyways, here is the link to the forest service site that confirms no restrictions.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/

Next weekend, 20-22 there is a lot of organized riding/racing. 3rd annual Absolute Bikes/Care and Share Food Bank Old Fashioned Mtn Bike Festival at Wheeler Park in downtown Flag. Food, music, rides, race, demos, prizes etc. absolutebikes.net for more info and registration.

Have fun,

T.A.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.