Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was out riding my local loop, I came across an old party spot littered in Bud Light and Corona Light cans. Unfortunately the party goers did not do the best job at putting out the bonfire as there were still flames present in the pit. Not knowing the closest number of the closest Fire Rd, I took the Loop Trail to Old Walnut Canyon road and called 911. Flagstaff fire department responded with a small truck and they were able to put out the fire.

I was riding the loop trail (eastbound) by Walnut Canyon and my typical loop is to cut a right on a Fire rd and ride up to FR 301 (not sure which one it is A, B, or C) and connect to the Az Trail along Walnut Canyon. Those familiar with that loop will probably know where the pit is. Please make sure you put out your camp fires! Don't be afraid to report abandoned campfires.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m just glad the wind wasn’t blowing. Across the fire road from the pit was were all timber was staged from the clearing operations. A lot of dry timber just waiting to go up.

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,932 Posts
Big problem from the top of Oak Creek Canyon to Flag. I moved a fire ring to park my travel trailer. After setting up, I’m sitting in a chair relaxing and I kept smelling something like a BBQ pit. To my horror, my tires were parked on still hot embers. They were covered with a fine layer of dirt. 10 minutes later I would of left the campsite. I would of been blamed for the forest fire and one could easily argue rightfully so.

My buddies and were passing back through an area where a few hours earlier a family was camped. That pit was actually smoking. Had to use water from the hydration packs and a cooler along with a camp shovel to put it out.

A client told me that after a recent holiday weekend the FS had to put out 21 fire pits. I can’t verify that claim.

Mostly people from Phoenix and I assume some local kids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Why exactly are campfires allowed at all? Campfires are a thing from the stone ages. The air is so polluted in the cities that people go to the forests looking for clean air and recreation, but when you camp in the forest, there are 20 people surrounding you with campfires burning, and there's so much smoke that you need an oxygen tank to breathe.

·
Titanium Junkie
Why Cycles S7, Specialized Levo
1,710 Posts
While I was out riding my local loop, I came across an old party spot littered in Bud Light and Corona Light cans. Unfortunately the party goers did not do the best job at putting out the bonfire as there were still flames present in the pit. Not knowing the closest number of the closest Fire Rd, I took the Loop Trail to Old Walnut Canyon road and called 911. Flagstaff fire department responded with a small truck and they were able to put out the fire.

I was riding the loop trail (eastbound) by Walnut Canyon and my typical loop is to cut a right on a Fire rd and ride up to FR 301 (not sure which one it is A, B, or C) and connect to the Az Trail along Walnut Canyon. Those familiar with that loop will probably know where the pit is. Please make sure you put out your camp fires! Don't be afraid to report abandoned campfires.
Unbelievable.

·
slower than you
1,398 Posts
Why exactly are campfires allowed at all? Campfires are a thing from the stone ages. The air is so polluted in the cities that people go to the forests looking for clean air and recreation, but when you camp in the forest, there are 20 people surrounding you with campfires burning, and there's so much smoke that you need an oxygen tank to breathe.
This has been proposed regionally before but has always had difficulty maintaining any traction during the annual interregnum between fire seasons. https://stu-in-flag.net/blog/?p=2109. I personally believe that many who do not live near public lands have erroneously conflated in their minds that there is a some sort of Constitutional guarantee, akin to the second amendment, which likewise protects their right to make large unnecessary fires outdoors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.