Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
spoiled rotten.

Climbed my DH bike about halfway up Mt Elden road before I got a "pity-shuttle" (it does help to look as pitiful as possible). Went to "the top" up at the radio towers. Used my ninja-sense to figure out where the famed "wassabi" trail starts, found it after a few minutes of searching, and proceeded down a wicked DH that is easily comparable with Northstar in california or anything on South Mountain. Not a trail-bike trail (as Papa John can probably understand :D) Drops, rock-slabs hundreds of feet long, switchbacks, etc...and it was all nice and tacky to boot...finished up by riding down Oldham and not-so-Rocky Ridge.

I'm updating the "Elden Trails" map as I find new ones. It sucks I tell yah...

It was cool to watch hawks hanging "motionless" in the air above the ridge by the radio towers...

G

·
What time?

Jm. said:
spoiled rotten.

etc...and it was all nice and tacky to boot...finished up by riding down Oldham and not-so-Rocky Ridge.
When were you out there? I rode up Lower Oldham from Buffalo Park yesterday, and was at the east end of Pseudo-Rocky Ridge at the Lookout road having a snack when someone went by on a DH bike at about 2:30. Whoever it was, I probably was 1/4 mile behind him all the way down RR -- I could just see him every now and then. Then there were lots of folks at the Schultz trailhead, including one group I had just seen at Flag Adventure Sports about an hour and a half before. I might have just missed you...

It was a beautiful day yesterday for sure. It's been very thundery all day today, so if I get in any miles it will just be this evening with my spiffy new light :D on some nearby fire roads.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe, but i could easily be characterized as "slow" on RR, at least on a 49lb DH bike...a green IH SGS Pro with a shiver.

That time sounds fairly close to when I was going through that area.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can't believe you were riding up that with the sgs. Had to give you the ride. Today I bombed the trail you rode. It was the best so far. Ever!
Flagstaff is da kine. email me if you want to do some South Mountain Shuttleing. You won't have to pedal it up. Later
SS

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I know some other "similer" trails up there, but it's always hard trying to figure out if you should really recommend something. At least there were two of you! I didn't want to crash on something while riding alone. Glad you liked the trail, I thought it was a blast as well...something challenging and fun as heck, and the trail condition was perfect eh!?
That's probably one of the best trails so far though for accessability. I'm definitly going to do some more riding on it. I put that new trail on my map :D

It wasn't too difficult finding the trailhead I hope.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Jm. said:
Yeah, I know some other "similer" trails up there, but it's always hard trying to figure out if you should really recommend something. At least there were two of you! I didn't want to crash on something while riding alone. Glad you liked the trail, I thought it was a blast as well...something challenging and fun as heck, and the trail condition was perfect eh!?
That's probably one of the best trails so far though for accessability. I'm definitly going to do some more riding on it. I put that new trail on my map :D

James,

It sounds like a blast. I hope the recent rains have tightened up the soil so it isn't quite as sketchy as that one stretch on Jedi!

I am envious that you are so close to Flag. I was thinking about it on Saturday when we were doing some shuttle runs on SoMo (Geronimo and Holbert), and by 10AM it was too hot at the bottom to continue riding.

I hope you will share your ever expanding map of Mt. Elden.

John W.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
papajohn said:
James,

I am envious that you are so close to Flag. I was thinking about it on Saturday when we were doing some shuttle runs on SoMo (Geronimo and Holbert), and by 10AM it was too hot at the bottom to continue riding.

John W.
Yeah yeah, but you got mountains not far out of town, at least you don't live in phoenix :p

·
Registered
30 Posts
Jm. said:

James, Dru and I were about to do the the ride around until we found something, but a load of Flagstaff locals showed up and gave us the lowdown on the location. The conditions were great until the bottom when the rain started dumping but having already rode every other rock I went for the last one. I rolled the entire rock but as i went to pull up hard at the end my back tire slid just enough sideways to set my front down hard on the soft stuff. Ended up and over another 10 feet down on my back. Nice soft landing will definately clean that steep when it's dry. Excellent trail.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im printing it out for friends, but im not sure i can post it here, it's already been posted of course, I've simply added about 3 trails to it. The problem is size, I'll see if it works.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, it was too large.

It's the kind where I don't want to knock down the resolution either. Just send me an email at [email protected] and I'll email it to you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.