Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some Flagstaff folks to help me on one last route puzzle to the Arizona Trail. The usual thing to do is to head west from Schultz Pass on the Weatherford Trail until it his snowbowl road. After (2-3 ? miles) up Snowbowl road there is a dirt road/trail on the left that drops to FR 151 (hart prairie road). This is a perfect connection, but I have heard that it is closed (for revegetation?). I rode this route during the Solstice race a few years back.

I'm looking to confirm/deny this rumor, and if confirmed, for an alternate route. The only other way I see is to cruise down the snowbowl road back to 180, then after ~2 miles on 180 turn directly right onto Hart Prairie road. Not exactly ideal, but we'll take it. Better suggestions are welcome.

I'm setting out on the AZ trail from Mexico in 2 days. Should be up in Flag in a bit over two weeks--legs, mind and components willing. I'll be updating http://www.topofusion.com/azt as we go.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
Krein said:
I'm looking for some Flagstaff folks to help me on one last route puzzle to the Arizona Trail. The usual thing to do is to head west from Schultz Pass on the Weatherford Trail until it his snowbowl road. After (2-3 ? miles) up Snowbowl road there is a dirt road/trail on the left that drops to FR 151 (hart prairie road). This is a perfect connection, but I have heard that it is closed (for revegetation?). I rode this route during the Solstice race a few years back.

I'm looking to confirm/deny this rumor, and if confirmed, for an alternate route. The only other way I see is to cruise down the snowbowl road back to 180, then after ~2 miles on 180 turn directly right onto Hart Prairie road. Not exactly ideal, but we'll take it. Better suggestions are welcome..
I don't ride in that area much, so I couldn't tell you. All of the roads up there are technically closed for the season, I don't know about permanently. Try out the Peaks Ranger District: Â*(928) 526-0866.

Just a word of warning, its pretty snowy and muddy up there right now, I don't know how much that would change in the next two weeks. Most of Freidlein Prairie Road (Waterline Road) is a big muddy mess with huge puddles and 3 foot snow drifts. I had a wonderful bike-dragging-fest up there yesterday. I might instead suggest (from Rocky Ridge) taking Schultz Pass Road about 1/2 mile (since Schultz Creek trail is, well, a creek right now) to the Fort Valley Trails. From there you can take the trail over to FR 164B which will take you to Snowbowl Road, or you can hook up with Lower Moto up to the pipeline then west about 1/4 mile (or less) to the new Fort Valley Trail which will also take you to Snowbowl Road. FR164B will be faster and easier, Lower Moto will be a lot more climbing, longer and more challenging.

If you need a place to stay when you're in the area let me know, we're only about 1.5 miles off the route.

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FishMan473 said:
I don't ride in that area much, so I couldn't tell you. All of the roads up there are technically closed for the season, I don't know about permanently. Try out the Peaks Ranger District: �*(928) 526-0866.
Thanks for the response. I found someone who had ridden the 'rock garden' drop to Hart Prairie a few times in the last year, so it looks like it is open. If I have time I will call the FS about it tomorrow morning.

Mud/snow is a definite concern. I would have liked to start earlier from Mexico since it is reaching 90 in Tucson these days, but at least we're things are starting to melt (by the looks of the online snow gages). My biggest worry is about snow on the North Rim, rather than Flagstaff. But, we'll see how the weather shapes up in the next two weeks.

Thanks for the offer in Flag. I've got a few options otherwise it would be much appreciated. You were 2nd/3rd/? in the white mtns, right?

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
Krein said:
Thanks for the response. I found someone who had ridden the 'rock garden' drop to Hart Prairie a few times in the last year, so it looks like it is open. If I have time I will call the FS about it tomorrow morning.

Mud/snow is a definite concern. I would have liked to start earlier from Mexico since it is reaching 90 in Tucson these days, but at least we're things are starting to melt (by the looks of the online snow gages). My biggest worry is about snow on the North Rim, rather than Flagstaff. But, we'll see how the weather shapes up in the next two weeks.

Thanks for the offer in Flag. I've got a few options otherwise it would be much appreciated. You were 2nd/3rd/? in the white mtns, right?
Yeah, 2nd place! Though the results still say otherwise, I beat that guy by 6 inches, eh, at this point who cares what the results say.

I'm sure you'll get a more updated report once you roll into town, but personally I doubt that Freidlein Prairie Road will be dry by then. I've noticed that E-W roads tend to keep snow very late in the year, because they have no trees above them so the snow can pile up, yet they have trees to the south of them, blocking the sun's melting rays. In any event, it seems like you've got plenty of options if/when it comes to it.

Yeah, I had to double check that you were the same guy, (Scott, right) who won TotWM. Looked at your profile and a few of your posts. Seems like we have some interests in common. My wife and I are planning on 9 days on the AZ trail next year to warm up for a tour of the Great Divide. I don't know about racing it though, sounds like 20 or so days of misery, I think I'll stick to touring, and single day racing events.

And what's this topozone about? A friend and I are working on mapping all the trails in Sedona. It's a hell of a lot of work, but rewarding. We're trying to figure out if/how to publish it, lots of issues to consider in Sedona.

Good luck on your tour.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Krein said:

I'm looking to confirm/deny this rumor, and if confirmed, for an alternate route. The only other way I see is to cruise down the snowbowl road back to 180, then after ~2 miles on 180 turn directly right onto Hart Prairie road. Not exactly ideal, but we'll take it. Better suggestions are welcome.

I'm setting out on the AZ trail from Mexico in 2 days. Should be up in Flag in a bit over two weeks--legs, mind and components willing. I'll be updating http://www.topofusion.com/azt as we go.

Thanks in advance for any help.
The dirt road you mention was closed by the FS for the race because of concerns for wildlife near the tank. It still has a lot of snow on it. It is also about 5 miles up Snowbowl Rd not 3. Another option to connect Snowbowl Rd and Hart Prairie Rd is to backtrack about 1.5 mi down Snowbowl Rd to a trail that goes through a couple of Aspen Meadows and then becomes a 4wd before connecting with Hart Prairie. It may have some snow on it at first but the latter half is probably dry. Otherwise, Fishman is right-your best bet is the Fort Valley trail which is mostly dry. However, stuff melts out fast around here so in two weeks you may be able to ride the rockfest or if your interested I can check my ride log and give you good directions to find the singletrack that drops to Hart Prairie. The North Rim however is loaded with snow and the AZ trail will most likely not be rideable until mid May. IMO. Have a good trip.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
rockman said:
Another option to connect Snowbowl Rd and Hart Prairie Rd is to backtrack about 1.5 mi down Snowbowl Rd to a trail that goes through a couple of Aspen Meadows and then becomes a 4wd before connecting with Hart Prairie.
So Rockman, tell me more about this trail from Snowbowl Rd to Hart Prairie. Sounds like a good route for around the peaks.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
To get more specific I'll have to get back to you but if your familiar with the Viet Springs area then you probably know where the motorcycle train joins the powerline trail just on the other side of the fence that blocks motorized access. That trail hits Snowbowl Rd at the bottom of the long straightaway below the Viet Springs parking area. It then crosses the road, goes through some splendid Aspen Stands and then climbs up and out of the drainage and turns into a jeep road. It comes into Hart Prairie about halfway in between HWY180 and the corral (start of rock garden). Just before the Rockgarden you could then turn left and pick up another motorcycle trail that looped around the aspen covered hills and back to Hart Prairie rd across from the Nature Conservancy Preserve or whatever its called. It was a sweet 10 mile loop or so but the last time I rode it there was a fence blocking it about halfway in. I guess someone's building their dream home back there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.