Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about applying for a job there, so figured I'd try and get some info on the area before submitting the package.

Anyone from Flagstaff feel like telling me about their city - riding stuff, but other general things about living there, too?

Thanks and I look forward to learning about the city and area!

·
No mames guey
298 Posts
Here's a good series about Flagstaff from the local NPR station. It describes the high of life in Flagstaff in relation to the job market. Like everywhere else, housing prices have come down, but they are still higher than other western cities.

http://www.knau.org/pwav.html

That being what it is, I love living here. With the exception of maybe Bend, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Excellent Riding- lots of ups and tons of downs
Good bars(pubs)
Good coffee shops(local)
Good selection of restraunts
Clean city
Good mix of wx
No Tjoes though
Nice little lake
Overall it is a good place to be!!

·
Banned
860 Posts
skiahh said:
I'm thinking about applying for a job there, so figured I'd try and get some info on the area before submitting the package.

Anyone from Flagstaff feel like telling me about their city - riding stuff, but other general things about living there, too?

Thanks and I look forward to learning about the city and area!
Making the transition to landlubber, are you? Flagstaff is a good choice for mountain lovers. I would agree that Bend Oregon is an even better choice, with housing prices that dropped nearly as much as they did in Phoenix.

I'll tell you what I know after 16 years in Flagstaff. You will love the trails here, no matter what your riding style. Some are thawed out and ready to ride in March. We saw people riding many of the lower trails a couple weeks back, before we got hit by a couple winter storms. We often are able to ride well into December. The city averages 100" of snow each winter and the ski resort averages 200". We have had winters when the ski resort did not open and we only got about 30" of snow. Years like that are often followed by drought and some restrictions on riding, usualy just after a human caused fire in the area. Flagstaff averages only 3 days above 90 degrees each year. The forest is dense and provides a cool,comfortable riding experience. Evenings can be quite cool during the summer. The upside to not having a river or lakes close to town is that we don't have biting insects or humidity.

Many mountain towns like the ones in Colorado, are almost exclusively filled with weathy homeowners. Service employees have to commute from many miles away to their jobs. Flagstaff is not like that. Sure, if you view the KNAU link and read all the stories under the title of Poverty With A View, you might think this is Aspen, but to be true to my conservative values, anything I hear from public radio I filter, knowing it has to be slanted from a left-wing bias, in order to be funded for broadcast. That being said, Flagstaff is in Coconino County, a county with a high percentage of poor people. That is because we are near the Navajo Indian Reservation. It skews numbers like crime statistics, and medium income, along with rates of alcoholism and diabetes, which are unusually high on the reservation.

NAU is ther largest employer. Flagstaff Medical Center is a large facilty that employs many in high income jobs. Gore is another highly sought after employer. NAU, which once had the saecond highest drop-out rate among universities, has grown in the past few years. It results in a younger demographic in Flagstaff during the school year. It also keeps many bars in business. Some of them offer live music, but depending on what your music interests are, you won't see more than a couple quality acts pass through Flagstaff each year.

Are you applying for a law enforcement position? Just curious. Flagstaff has about 2-3 homicides a year. Most of the crimes are property crimes committed by people using/abusing illegal drugs, primarily meth. With the passage of a new law legalizing medical marijuana ( Flagstaff had the highest percentage of people supporting the new legl status) Flagstaff may see around 20 new marijuana dispensaries. Consequently, there will be a slight increase in the number of hippies, college drop-outs and ne'er-do-wells inflicted on the general population. How it will affect the number of free-riders, we can only speculate.

The average listing price of a home in Flagstaff is currently $389,500. The mediun sales price is $226,500, down 10% in the last year. We had our home on the market most of last year, asking $235k, about $80k less than we have invested on a home purchased in 2006, at the peak of the housing bubble. Is there affordable housing? Absolutely. We lived here for ten years paying under $200 a month for space rent in a manufactured home park, one block from a grocery store. Some buyers are willing to look just outside the city, in Mountainaire and Kachina Village and Belmont, to save some cash. Probably a bad idea long term with fuel prices spiking. Property taxes are ever rising, thanks to our ineptly run school district. More money spent and more failing students. Not that it is unique to Flagstaff.

I don't imagine someone serving in the U.S. Navy (we thank you for your dedicated service), is anxious to settle into such a politically left-leaning community. Don't worry, they may over-spend our tax dollars and defend the rights(?) of criminals invading our state from Mexico, but they are mostly harmless, as the state is still a red one overall.

If you are visiting soon. let me buy you lunch. We have many great restaurants, including several Thai, Indian, Japanese, and a couple of places with adequate BBQ.

I normally send these type of messages on PM, but I want you to see some of our left-leaning brethren respond to some of my comments, so you know what you can expect in the future. Good luck on the new job. Hope they hire you.

·
My other ride is your mom
5,442 Posts
^^^^^To the OP...I'll bite. Please consider that TPS has already stated he has an agenda, most of us already have him on our ignore list...I don't because I still enjoy getting my 'fair and balanced' information by seeing the counterpoint to reality. That being said....most of what he says is true....just filter out his campaign comments on med MJ, diabetes (it's a problem of modern society, not American Indians) and comments on left-leaning communities....notice he did not recommended any good mexican food......."who want's to eat Chimichangas?"....not Summer Wheatley! Now, that you've eliminated 3/4's of his rant...I'll give you a bit more color.

Flag is a unique place......very diverse as most college communities are. Folks from all walks of life (right and left...if you only see the world through that spectrum). More importantly...there is a vitality to Flag and funkiness which makes it what it is along with a small town in a big city vibe. This makes for a very interesting scene and dynamic community. With that being said...I think TPS is pissed he runs into more left folks than he would like....I would suggest he move to Maricopa County.....which he clearly wants to do as he already has a thread asking for advice regarding a place in Maricopa county.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=688577

We also despise his use of Comic Sans...which I'm convinced, he thinks is a good way to make himself a 'compassionate conservative'.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
The Prodigal Son said:
if you view the KNAU link and read all the stories under the title of Poverty With A View, you might think this is Aspen, but to be true to my conservative values, anything I hear from public radio I filter, knowing it has to be slanted from a left-wing bias, in order to be funded for broadcast. That being said, Flagstaff is in Coconino County, a county with a high percentage of poor people. That is because we are near the Navajo Indian Reservation. It skews numbers like crime statistics, and medium income, along with rates of alcoholism and diabetes, which are unusually high on the reservation

Are you applying for a law enforcement position? Just curious. Flagstaff has about 2-3 homicides a year. Most of the crimes are property crimes committed by people using/abusing illegal drugs, primarily meth. With the passage of a new law legalizing medical marijuana ( Flagstaff had the highest percentage of people supporting the new legl status) Flagstaff may see around 20 new marijuana dispensaries. Consequently, there will be a slight increase in the number of hippies, college drop-outs and ne'er-do-wells inflicted on the general population. How it will affect the number of free-riders, we can only speculate.

. Property taxes are ever rising, thanks to our ineptly run school district. More money spent and more failing students. Not that it is unique to Flagstaff.

I don't imagine someone serving in the U.S. Navy (we thank you for your dedicated service), is anxious to settle into such a politically left-leaning community. Don't worry, they may over-spend our tax dollars and defend the rights(?) of criminals invading our state from Mexico, but they are mostly harmless, as the state is still a red one overall.

If you are visiting soon. let me buy you lunch. We have many great restaurants, including .
Damn - that's awful high & might on several fronts {all of them actually} it must be great to know you are superior to all those you disparage above. C'mon Dan - really? Is this post in all seriousness? You wanna know about Nor-Az PM me, I've been here for 35yrs, I grew up in Tuba City, Have lived & own a buisness in Flag & now own a home in Camp Verde as well. - Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
I'm going with what Maadjurguer said. I will add that I have lived in 8 different states and 6 much more expensive mountain towns and I LOVE Flagstaff. It is much more affordable then say Aspen or Jackson, it's more balanced, diverse, has more art, music, and pretty girls. It is very laid back and doesn't have the attitude that the before mentioned towns have either.
The skiing if you like to tour is much better then most actually here even know because honestly most don't tour. The mountain averages about 250 a season but on a banner year can see 450+, think once every 10 years or so. The ski area is ok but you can't compare it to any big destination resorts or anything, a lot of us like that about it.
Biking is fantastic and with Sedona 40 minutes south we can ride year round. Living right on the edge of the rim, having about 300 days of sunshine, and no humidity for me makes this place paradise.
We also are close to GCNP, there is all kinds of rock climbing nearby, countless canyons to explore, backpacking, hiking, dog walking, off road driving, and whatever else you want to get into that doesn't include the ocean.
In the summer the downtown is a great place for killing some cold adult beverages or for hanging out with family. I love this place! You really can't beat it if you want a year round outdoor playground.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, everyone! Keep the input coming. I'm going to keep the position I'm considering out of this for now, bit I will say it's not law enforcement.

I've been there just once, many moons ago, and it was just briefly. Obviously I've ready about it so have that general sense, but nothing more. This kind of first hand info is what really counts!

Let's see... pretty girls. I'm married, so other than eye candy, that's not a selling point. :D

I'm not all that big a mexican food fan, though the aforementioned wife is, so it's good that there's a good variety to choose from.

Local skiing is good since we have a 5 year old that we want to get started. Biking obviously is good. What about road riding - are the cars friendly? Could I ride the bike to work? Could I take trails to work?

Missing the ocean and fresh seafood will be tough; we already know how that is here in the Springs. And being from ME originally and my wife being from WA, we do miss that! Trade-offs, right?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Well, Skiahh, we need to know these things up front so that we may dispense full and adequate advice. I did not want to see you relegated to a life of involuntary celibacy because of a lack of talent in the barren pines of Flag.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Tons of folks commute and there are all kinds of urban trail connections including a Flagstaff loop trail. I just wouldn't live too far from town. Road riding? I hear there are lots of folks into that, I see em around. This is bike town USA! Bikes bikes and more bikes!

As for that girls statement, I'm locked down as well. It's just a nice thing to have for a town. Trust me, when there is a 10 to 1 ratio like in most mountain towns it creates some very strange social dynamics, Flagstaff does not suffer from L.O.W. syndrome.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
skiahh said:
Oh, and any thoughts on the local schools as far as actual education goes?
If you have kids you generally want them to go to the west side schools not the east side. There are nice enough areas to live on the east side but funding is better with some schools over others.

As for the politics thing, I've lived in far more "right" places and far more "left" places- it depends on the lens you look through with what you see, I guess.

For the people complaining- NAU does have a higher than typical female:male ratio for a college.

·
Banned
860 Posts
Maadjurguer said:
^^^^^To the OP...I'll bite. Please consider that TPS has already stated he has an agenda, most of us already have him on our ignore list...I don't because I still enjoy getting my 'fair and balanced' information by seeing the counterpoint to reality. That being said....most of what he says is true....just filter out his campaign comments on med MJ, diabetes (it's a problem of modern society, not American Indians) and comments on left-leaning communities....notice he did not recommended any good mexican food......."who want's to eat Chimichangas?"....not Summer Wheatley! Now, that you've eliminated 3/4's of his rant...I'll give you a bit more color.

Flag is a unique place......very diverse as most college communities are. Folks from all walks of life (right and left...if you only see the world through that spectrum). More importantly...there is a vitality to Flag and funkiness which makes it what it is along with a small town in a big city vibe. This makes for a very interesting scene and dynamic community. With that being said...I think TPS is pissed he runs into more left folks than he would like....I would suggest he move to Maricopa County.....which he clearly wants to do as he already has a thread asking for advice regarding a place in Maricopa county.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=688577

We also despise his use of Comic Sans...which I'm convinced, he thinks is a good way to make himself a 'compassionate conservative'.
Picked up a #9 combo at Tacos Los Altos for the wife on my way home from the gym today. I went with my usual, lengua buritto. Google diabetes and Navajo Indians and see how disproportionate the numbers are. Regardless of the color of lenses on your glasses, most of our street drunks are Navajo. Something you have to adjust to when living here. I'm providing facts to help someone understand this town, not PCness. Other than Trail Doc, I know mabe one conservative rider around here. I'd be oblidged if a few of you who claim to have me on ignore would actually do so. Lefties tend to prefer one-sided discusions where they can't be challenged. Seriously, Flag is a diverse place with people of all walks of life with a vitality and funkiness and big city vibe? Really? That's your idea of a bit more color? Sounds more like Anne Frank describing Bergen-Belsen in all it's funkiness.

·
bland
1,294 Posts
The Prodigal Son said:
Picked up a #9 combo at Tacos Los Altos for the wife on my way home from the gym today. I went with my usual, lengua buritto. Google diabetes and Navajo Indians and see how disproportionate the numbers are. Regardless of the color of lenses on your glasses, most of our street drunks are Navajo. Something you have to adjust to when living here. I'm providing facts to help someone understand this town, not PCness. Other than Trail Doc, I know mabe one conservative rider around here. I'd be oblidged if a few of you who claim to have me on ignore would actually do so. Lefties tend to prefer one-sided discusions where they can't be challenged. Seriously, Flag is a diverse place with people of all walks of life with a vitality and funkiness and big city vibe? Really? That's your idea of a bit more color? Sounds more like Anne Frank describing Bergen-Belsen in all it's funkiness.
So the Natives are the Nazis? Seriously dude. What is wrong with you? It seems like your problems go deeper than mixing Vicodin with rum and being an ass on the internet. You should really consider professional counseling/rehab.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.