Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking off in mid July to do some mountain biking. It is between Tahoe and Flagstaff I think which seem to be places folks have recommended based on a previous thread I posted. I live in SoCal so driving to both should be about the same.

My question is precisely where do I stay and is Flagstaff in fact a reasonable place to go in mid-July in terms of reasonable temperature?

What hotels etc. could you recommend in terms of a good location for biking? And are there any good internet sites specific to my needs?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks in advance,
FoShizzle

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
FoShizzle said:
I am taking off in mid July to do some mountain biking. It is between Tahoe and Flagstaff I think which seem to be places folks have recommended based on a previous thread I posted. I live in SoCal so driving to both should be about the same.

My question is precisely where do I stay and is Flagstaff in fact a reasonable place to go in mid-July in terms of reasonable temperature?

What hotels etc. could you recommend in terms of a good location for biking? And are there any good internet sites specific to my needs?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks in advance,
FoShizzle
The only issue with Flag in July is, it's damn crowded. Not necessarily biking crowded, but tourist crowded, as in July it will be in the 100s down south, so lots of zonies take trips up north. It should be in the 70s-80s in July.

There are lots of hotels as well as hostels in Flag. I'm sure a search on Travelocity will produce lots of results.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
skinny-tire said:
The only issue with Flag in July is, it's damn crowded. Not necessarily biking crowded, but tourist crowded, as in July it will be in the 100s down south, so lots of zonies take trips up north. It should be in the 70s-80s in July.

There are lots of hotels as well as hostels in Flag. I'm sure a search on Travelocity will produce lots of results.
thanks....so most importantly, the weather sounds great. I will try travelocity as you suggest.

by the way, as I am completely unfamiliar with the terrain.......i assume there is a diverse range of riding. I would like to bring both my single speed and X-5....is that reasonable?

cheers

·
pedaller
2,400 Posts
You'll be very pleased

with both bikes and will also need to hit Sedona - though it'll be warmer - but excellent riding. Flag in July rocks as long as the forest is still open. We've had a lot of precip this year so you should be good to go!

:cool:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Trains...

We stayed close to downtown area in a cheap hotel (super8) last September, so we could be within stumbling distance from the local brewpubs. The hotel was fine for a place to shower and pass out, except that the trains seem to run every few minutes, all night long, which sucked. The trails are close though, only a couple of miles away. If you value peaceful sleep, stay further south of downtown area.

·
Registered
385 Posts
FoShizzle said:
thanks....so most importantly, the weather sounds great. I will try travelocity as you suggest.

by the way, as I am completely unfamiliar with the terrain.......i assume there is a diverse range of riding. I would like to bring both my single speed and X-5....is that reasonable?

cheers
A friend and I (scanjok) camped on Mt. Eldon for a week last August. We never hit the same trails twice (save for Schultz Creek to get to/from camp site and some trails) and it was pretty damn cool. There are quite a few trails up there and is worth hitting at least a few of them. We were on singlespeeds, and save for a few sections, all the trails we hit were totally ridable (running 2:1). The cool thing is that it isn't that far from town either, so riding out there (if you stay in a hotel) is no big deal.

·
slower than you
1,398 Posts
more about flagstaff... and trains...

kendogg said:
except that the trains seem to run every few minutes, all night long, which sucked. The trails are close though, only a couple of miles away. If you value peaceful sleep, stay further south of downtown area.
on average there are some 75-100 trains per day that roll through flagstaff... so your chance of being awakened by a few dozen during the night is pretty good... most folks get used to the blaring after a few years... my wife and i hardly hear it at all anymore... and when we travel, we find ourselves missing the regular interruption of our sleep.

re weather: its nice here in july. it's the height of our riding season. but, it rains a lot most julys. in the afternoon usually. sometimes the storms bring a lot of hail, and cold, cold downdrafts, particularly at higher elevations. these storms can develop quickly with little warning around the mountain. i would suggest having raingear with you...

re singlespeeds: there is no reason why you shouldn't bring your singlespeed. but remember, our trails are all located on the slopes of a rather large old volcano. they go up and they go down. your singlespeed will make you work.

flagstaffbiking.org is a great resource. likewise several shops in town have helpful websites: azbikes.com, absolutebikes.net...

i would second the recommendation re sedona... it's going to be much hotter down there, but in the early morning in summer it's a special place to be. absolutebikes also has a shop in the village of oak creek, sorta a suburb of sedona.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey Foshizzle:

All the recs are pretty good. Flat out avoid Route 66 which runs adjacent to the train tracks - you won't sleep and there are way too many transients/lowlifes in and around the area. Accomodations - the Museum of No. AZ (check their website) has great little rooms cheap (about $20.00/night) and the singletrack is literally at your doorstep (base of Mount Eldon). Little America (about $90.00/night for two) is absolutely unbeatable if you want to drop the coin for luxury. Temps will be nice but afternoon monsoon rains are a possibility. Riding ranges from sweet flowy singletrack to FR/DH oriented stuff - relatively flat or big climbs all in a forest setting. Elevation's a factor for some as Flag's at 7,000 and it's all up from there. Most of the riding is on Forest Service land which sits directly adjacent to town - camping is good (and free) if you want to go that route. Sedona's also great but day temps will be a 90-100-plus. It's a mecca dude - PM if you want more info. Cheers!

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
forester said:
Hey Foshizzle:

All the recs are pretty good. Flat out avoid Route 66 which runs adjacent to the train tracks - you won't sleep and there are way too many transients/lowlifes in and around the area. Accomodations - the Museum of No. AZ (check their website) has great little rooms cheap (about $20.00/night) and the singletrack is literally at your doorstep (base of Mount Eldon). Little America (about $90.00/night for two) is absolutely unbeatable if you want to drop the coin for luxury. Temps will be nice but afternoon monsoon rains are a possibility. Riding ranges from sweet flowy singletrack to FR/DH oriented stuff - relatively flat or big climbs all in a forest setting. Elevation's a factor for some as Flag's at 7,000 and it's all up from there. Most of the riding is on Forest Service land which sits directly adjacent to town - camping is good (and free) if you want to go that route. Sedona's also great but day temps will be a 90-100-plus. It's a mecca dude - PM if you want more info. Cheers!
Thanks Forester for that great info....and thanks to all for your valuable input. It was very helpful!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.