Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Endurance Junkie
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looks like a pretty good size group from Tucson will be headed up to Flag for two day's of camping, ridin' and drinkn'. Some will be shuttling :yikes: other's will ride all day epics:eek:ut: . So if you don't have plans, come join the ride.
Sundog?
Helimech?
Dave C ?
D bag(Chad Brown)?
Sikwood?
Anyone else?
So far looks like about 10 of us
Kids and dogs also welcome.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I would be in for a day. Remember that there is a night ride with Waltaz over on the BCT system on the 12th hopefully. I would be in for a day of shuttles. Sundog after your done snorting wasabi come check out the reserves, way funner. If my legs are up maybe some XC, whats the schedule like?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey, Flagstaff local here.

I'd like to join in your shuttling of Wasabi, if you've got some room and don't mind. Bet a couple additional locals would be more than willing to toss in $10/head for gas and your trouble. Wasabi, Lower Red Onion, the Reserves, fun times all.

Have you heard of Viet Springs, Kelly Canyon, Chunky Monkey? Excellent xc/am trails.

·
3,049 Posts
I presume the Tukson crew is coming up Friday night and camping? We ought arrange signage and whathaveyou.

Based on the rains we've been getting, it ought be good. Best pack the Goretex and knee warmers, jic.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,179 Posts
ionsmuse said:
I presume the Tukson crew is coming up Friday night and camping? We ought arrange signage and whathaveyou.

Based on the rains we've been getting, it ought be good. Best pack the Goretex and knee warmers, jic.
Unless you already have another place chosen, the place where we camped is great for a big group. Being close to the bottom of the hill means you can end most rides with a rippin downhill. It's easy to find and convenient for treks back into town. Do bring your rain gear and pack for chilly nights - trails are in great shape with recent rains but you are likely to get caught in some downpours. Wish I could join you!

·
Tucson, AZ
2,980 Posts
ionsmuse said:
I presume the Tukson crew is coming up Friday night and camping?
Some of us are driving up Thursday (leaving at 9pm) to camp up near Schutlz. There might be a possible party in town on Friday night after dinner at camp. There should be shuttling every single day and there will be cross country rides of varying levels every day since we have such a big group going. If anyone wants to come up, please feel free to join us. All group rides are exactly that, group rides to have fun and enjoy Flagstaff.

Directions: Head to Flag on I-17 and continue on the highway into town - do not take any exits, I-17 just dumps you onto Milton Road. As you are driving by the big Barnes and Noble bookstore and the big painted cow on your left, get into the left-hand lane on Milton. You will go under a railroad pass and the road turns you to the right. At the light, turn left onto Humphreys St. Continue up the hill and turn left again at Fort Valley Rd/SR-180. Continue about 2.7 miles and turn right - there will be a sign for either Shultz Pass Rd or Mt. Elden Lookout Rd. Very quickly you will come to an obvious Y - turn left onto Shultz Pass Road and drive 1.4 miles up until you cross a cattleguard. Turn left immediately after the cattleguard and drive in a bit (100 yards?) and the campers will be set up on your right. If you start going around some curves and climbing, you passed the turn.

·
Tucson, AZ
2,980 Posts
DurtGurl said:
Unless you already have another place chosen, the place where we camped is great for a big group. Wish I could join you!
Thanks K, that is where we have camped in the pass and will again this time since it is still close to town and convenient for shuttling. Looks like you enjoyed your trip to Flagstaff last week. :D

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,179 Posts
azepicriderandrunner said:
Directions: Head to Flag on I-17 and continue on the highway into town - do not take any exits, I-17 just dumps you onto Milton Road. As you are driving by the big Barnes and Noble bookstore and the big painted cow on your left, get into the left-hand lane on Milton. You will go under a railroad pass and the road turns you to the right. At the light, turn left onto Humphreys St. Continue up the hill and turn left again at Fort Valley Rd/SR-180. Continue about 2.7 miles and turn right - there will be a sign for either Shultz Pass Rd or Mt. Elden Lookout Rd. Very quickly you will come to an obvious Y - turn left onto Shultz Pass Road and drive 1.4 miles up until you cross a cattleguard. Turn left immediately after the cattleguard and drive in a bit (100 yards?) and the campers will be set up on your right. If you start going around some curves and climbing, you passed the turn.
I took notice this time... the sign is for Schultz Pass Rd.

·
Tucson, AZ
2,980 Posts
I will be leading a few longer rides for those cross country riders that are looking for routes that do not include Elden.

XC Proposed Ride Schedule

Friday: Wing Mountain- 60 miles, 5k of climbing. Ride into town for beer, possibly. Map here.
Saturday: Circumnavigate the Peaks (Humphrey's and Elden) via Waterline/Pick Up Sticks/Sherlock/Viet Springs and add another 40 miles by dropping into Flagstaff and around Elden. Bail out option at 50 miles also. Map here. 90 miles 9k feet of climbing
Sunday: easy day on Elden Trails

·
3,049 Posts
azepicriderandrunner said:
Friday: Wing Mountain- 60 miles, 5k of climbing. Ride into town for beer, possibly. Map here.
Saturday: Circumnavigate the Peaks (Humphrey's and Elden) via Waterline/Pick Up Sticks/Sherlock/Viet Springs and add another 40 miles by dropping into Flagstaff and around Elden. Bail out option at 50 miles also. Map here. 90 miles 9k feet of climbing
Sunday: easy day on Elden Trails
I'm only riding 90 miles if it's easy.

Now you have me thinking about getting out of work on Friday, too. :nono:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.