Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of rolling up to Flag on Wednesday, and I've never ridden there before. Does anyone know if the trails are pretty dry? There is a chance of t-storms, probably the afternoon monsoons. I don't want to cause any trail damage by causing ruts.
Thanks,
Ken :)
 

·
viva la v-brakes!
Joined
·
2,350 Posts
kendogg said:
I'm thinking of rolling up to Flag on Wednesday, and I've never ridden there before. Does anyone know if the trails are pretty dry? There is a chance of t-storms, probably the afternoon monsoons. I don't want to cause any trail damage by causing ruts.
Thanks,
Ken :)
The trails drain like a sieve. You may find some puddles but all in all, nice and tacky. You can often even ride while it’s raining and the trails will still be “dry”. Possible exception might be the trail head at Buffalo Park if it’s really good and wet.

Oh, and yes, it will rain while you’re here, probably a little every day, ride in the morning to avoid being hailed on and what not.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
Ride early in the morning, start no later than 8, that should give you a good option if it starts raining earlier. If you do get caught in the "rain", it could be anything from light sprinkles to painfull hail. Saw it all last time I was there a few weeks ago. We had a nice dry spell where there wasn't much moisture, but it is back right now. It's somewhat a crap-shot, so it may turn out to be ok on a particular day, or it may be a lightning fest...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
Yup, looks like it :D I rode yesterday and had a few threatening clouds, but it cleared up and was pretty nice...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
Nevermind, we're getting hammered with rain as I speak :D

I do love the monsoons though...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fees

Are there day-use fees at the schultz trail parking lot? Just wondering if I need to bring some singles with me.

Thanks Guys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,211 Posts
No need. In fact, I heard Flag has the most per capita Lesbians in the nation....not that there is anything wrong with that. That said, not too many places you'll need singles, even up at Shultz.

(Okay, I'm being a smart ass, but no need for $$ to ride the Eldon trails. But if you're going up to Flag, might want to patronize some of the local establishments...less Flag will no longer continue to be a desirabel place to go in the Summer. My favorite for a cold brew and some good eats is Beaver Street B and G, on Beaver Street, just south of the train tracks.)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
sonofab*tch... and all this time I just thought that there were way more single girls in Flagstaff than anywhere else I'd ever ridden...:D

(there ARE a lot more girls up there riding than I ever see in most places)


No matter...it's all fair game on da mountian!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We rode Little Bear loop yesterday. The Flag trails are awesome, though the altitude kicked our butts. It took us about 4.5 hrs. to finish the ride, with plenty of breathing breaks. I endo-ed while bunny hopping in the street the night before, and still managed to ride the trails with a huge razzberry on my leg, and no skin on my palms. The pain factor made the ride a bit more challenging, so I can't wait to go back when I'm injury free. The local riders up there were awesome, everyone we met were very friendly, and they sure seem to have their local trails mastered. We finished up at the Beaver street brewery for some awesome pizza and beer. Thanks for all of the tips and recomendations.
Ken :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
kendogg said:
We rode Little Bear loop yesterday. The Flag trails are awesome, though the altitude kicked our butts. It took us about 4.5 hrs. to finish the ride, with plenty of breathing breaks. I endo-ed while bunny hopping in the street the night before, and still managed to ride the trails with a huge razzberry on my leg, and no skin on my palms. The pain factor made the ride a bit more challenging, so I can't wait to go back when I'm injury free. The local riders up there were awesome, everyone we met were very friendly, and they sure seem to have their local trails mastered. We finished up at the Beaver street brewery for some awesome pizza and beer. Thanks for all of the tips and recomendations.
Ken :D
Did Little Bear about a week ago. Climbing up, we came across a section of trail that was taken out by a tree that fell over. Was that section repaired at all? We marked it with rocks, but it looked pretty dangerous for anyone coming down (we were climbing it, so....).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jdub347 said:
Did Little Bear about a week ago. Climbing up, we came across a section of trail that was taken out by a tree that fell over. Was that section repaired at all? We marked it with rocks, but it looked pretty dangerous for anyone coming down (we were climbing it, so....).
Nope, it was still out. Someone had put up some red tape though, which registered as an afterthought. I was able to stop in time. It would suck to hit that hole at speed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,652 Posts
jdub347 said:
Did Little Bear about a week ago. Climbing up, we came across a section of trail that was taken out by a tree that fell over. Was that section repaired at all? We marked it with rocks, but it looked pretty dangerous for anyone coming down (we were climbing it, so....).
Nice to hear someone posting about climbing L. Bear. I prefer climbing rather than descending. You get the great downhill on Elden Springs trail and more time to admire the views. And your a lot less likely to encounter a horse at mach speed around a blind corner. The equestrians and riding stable by Horsemen's lodge use it pretty heavily.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
rockman said:
Nice to hear someone posting about climbing L. Bear. I prefer climbing rather than descending. You get the great downhill on Elden Springs trail and more time to admire the views. And your a lot less likely to encounter a horse at mach speed around a blind corner. The equestrians and riding stable by Horsemen's lodge use it pretty heavily.
Didn't realize that the trail was so heavily used by horseback riders. We climbed Little Bear and hit Brookbank to Little Gnarly to Schultz Creek (I think that was it). Pretty cool ride. It was the first time I had been there since 2000 and the first time I could spend time exploring the trails up there. It is a big change from Tucson...
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top