Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Day 1 Thursday:

Left from flag on the bikes and rode to the campsite at 417 and 900a right before entering Babbitt Ranch. No problems. Paulb's map, directions and mileage were pretty much spot on.

39 miles

Attachments

·
Banned
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Day 2 Friday

Day 2 Friday:
Blow a crucial turn less than 4 miles into the ride. 30 mile detour through Babbitt Ranch. We back track and find the Arizona Trail and ride about 6 miles and don't see any signs. Bonking and almost out of water we turn around and head back to the campsite of the night before. We run into a friendly Native who worked on the ranch. He said he knew the people that lived at the first ranch house we passed, and we were welcome to refill our water supplies. He provided us with a 40oz of Olde English, and after filtering and refilling some water we slogged the 5 or so miles back to where we camped the night before.

51 miles

Attachments

·
Banned
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Day 3 Saturday:

Ride the 5 miles out 900a to highway180. Ride 180 to the 64 intersection and stop at Valle and eat and re-supply. Then rode 64 to the Grand Canyon, and then to Grandview Lookout to pick up the car.

62 miles

Attachments

·
Ridin' Dirty
460 Posts
looks like you guys had fun.
Nice pics :thumbsup:

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
This route has a way of biting folks in one way or another on their 1st jaunt it would seem. For me it was mud from hell.

·
pedaller
2,400 Posts
I really like the smudge on your lens in most of the shots! :thumbsup:

Just kidding. I'm dying to do this trip. Looks like you were too - at times... I kid you!

I'm a kidder...

Thanks for sharing...

...and there's 1 g in Flagstaff...

·
Banned
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
u2metoo said:
If I were to lead, I'd prolly be 100 miles outta the way, and a 'moral booster' would definetly be needed.:D

the olde english could not have come at a better time. The second day of riding was the most grueling I have ever done. Tail was between my legs riding back to the same campsite beatendown both mentally and physically.

There were at least 6 AZT trail sings within 4 miles after leaving from camp. Then at two critical points no sign-age for miles with roads and double tracks heading in every direction. Once we got re-routed and got to crossing under what we thought was the first set of power lines in Paul's book it was to late, and all we had was filtered water and minimal food.

·
sprocket
3,184 Posts
JrockFeltaz said:
the olde english could not have come at a better time. The second day of riding was the most grueling I have ever done. Tail was between my legs riding back to the same campsite beatendown both mentally and physically.

There were at least 6 AZT trail sings within 4 miles after leaving from camp. Then at two critical points no sign-age for miles with roads and double tracks heading in every direction. Once we got re-routed and got to crossing under what we thought was the first set of power lines in Paul's book it was to late, and all we had was filtered water and minimal food.
olde english cures all. carry a gun, knife, and liquor at all times is my motto.

·
Banned
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Noelg said:
I really like the smudge on your lens in most of the shots! :thumbsup:

Just kidding. I'm dying to do this trip. Looks like you were too - at times... I kid you!

I'm a kidder...

Thanks for sharing...

...and there's 1 g in Flagstaff...
I'll let you know when round 2 is. You can be responsibile for photograhy and spell checkeng:thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Paul B said:
Augh! I know exactly where you went off-course. Bummer, but these things happen. When's your next attempt?

Awesome writeup. Malt liquor is mother's milk!

p.

I gotta come back out to move some stuff into storage at the end of sept. so I was thinking of doing it then. If that doesn't work out then maybe somtime in october. I was thinking of just statring at 180/900a turn off and doing an overnight to grandview and sleeping by russell tank before returning back.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts