Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And by tomorrow I mean SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAAAAAY.

I'm thinking I HAVE to get out of this heat or I'll forget how to pedal my bike. Thinking Schultz Creek trailhead, 10ish, despite good odds for afternoon thunderstorms. Also thinking it won't be a "long" ride, like the standard-issue 5 hour all over hell and back ride. But I'm also also thinking the beer at Beaver St. will be extra-cold afterward.

First time to Flag this summer. Anyone else going?

p.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,814 Posts
RUN TO THE HILLS!

I'm in.

There is a slight chance of thunderstorms. The earlier you get there the better.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,814 Posts
Paul B said:
Jimbo, you want to try and make LftT before 9 as well? I guess I could bend to peer pressure.

p.
No, it doesn't have to be before 9, but I'd avoid starting at 10 and after. More moisture is on it's way to the state. We wouldn't be meeting at schultz/the Y? What's this late for the train thing?

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jayem said:
No, it doesn't have to be before 9, but I'd avoid starting at 10 and after. More moisture is on it's way to the state. We wouldn't be meeting at schultz/the Y? What's this late for the train thing?
It's the coffee place where all the cool kids meet. If they're coming through the Schultz trailhead anyway, we could just go there instead. I'll leave it to Solorider to make the call.

Okay, let's say 9. :madman:

p.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,814 Posts
Paul B said:
It's the coffee place where all the cool kids meet. If they're coming through the Schultz trailhead anyway, we could just go there instead. I'll leave it to Solorider to make the call.

Okay, let's say 9. :madman:

p.
Oh. I don't drink coffee, so I wouldn't know.

·
igoslo
971 Posts
I'm no longer sure if I'm going to make it. My company just got a whole series of emergency calls and I'm going to have to take care of at least two of them myself. If I had to guess I would say I won't make it near a bed til well after midnight. At this point assume that I won't be there and if I somehow get blessed by the gods of mtb I'll head straight to the TH.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,814 Posts
Me and tls36 (a new guy in prescott that sounds like he'll do great in flag) are comming up. We're going to convince paul to ride the trails up.

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And I'm bringing up a couple friends who have never ridden in Flag before. I know, incomprehensible. One of them is a new-ish rider, so we may not be able to keep a strong pace. Hell, I'm so squishy-soft now I don't think I could keep a strong pace either.

We'll play it by ear. See you @ Schultz Creek 9ish.

p.

·
wheeeee!!!
360 Posts
Me and a buddy (not an mtbr poster) were up family camping with spouses/kids in tow, Went to schultz to fit a ride in, and I swear I knew about half the people we saw on trail. Hooked up with Mark Christiani (sp?) who agreed to ride with us, and who we let go ahead when it became clear we didn't have the lungs or the legs to keep up with him. Saw Jim in the parking lot, Saw Paul, Jim and Friends on trail, and JJK further up Schultz. It's amazing how small our little tribe is.

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jodiuh said:
Oooh, I should be there in an hour or so. Look for the White roadie helmet/Red Jamis going freakishly slow. ;)
Dang, if only I could have surfed to the site after I left on my 2.5 hour long drive to Flag. Sorry we missed you.

Great to see all the familiar faces up there. Good recharge trip.

p.

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[QUOTE='size]i'm planning on heading up next weekend, what trails/route did you guys ride and what were the conditions like?[/QUOTE]

Conditions will never be better. A little bit of rain throughout the week has tamped down the trails and they are PERFECT.

My favorite route on the mountain: up Schultz, up Little Gnarly, up Upper Brookbank, down Little Bear, up Little Elden, down Schultz. Find a map if you need more details.

p.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Paul B said:
Dang, if only I could have surfed to the site after I left on my 2.5 hour long drive to Flag. Sorry we missed you.
The absurdity of my post came to me once I left for the trail. Perhaps one day we'll have pocket laptops with instant mtbr noti's. :D

What a joyous time I had. Got on the trail around noon and it couldn't have been more than 83 degrees. Started out at the bottom of Shultz Creek's trailhead (where they have a sign in sheet) and made it about 10 minutes in before I was met with some pretty serious rain. Since I had my camera, I chose to chill a bit.

After another 10 short minutes, the rain went away...leaving some of the tackiest dirt I've ever rode on.

I finally realized what 7200 ft meant and began to wonder if I would die on that trail. ;) I took it slow and steady as I was passed by some of the local and VERY polite Flaggers. About a mile and a half up the trail I met up with Kevin from PHX. This was also his first trip up Schultz. Apparently, we valley folk can be spotted easily by the "Where'd all the air go?!" look on our faces. :p See?

We conquered Shultz Creek trail and begain Sunset Trail. Had someone told us it was 2 miles of STEEP uphill, we probably would have wussed out. Fortunately, no one would give such a scrumptious little secret away. So we soldiered on and once at the top ran into another first time PHX'er!!

After sucking up some sunshine at the top, Kevin, Jason, and myself began a descent that stoked all of us like kids on chocolate. The rear of my feet actually hurt from standing almost the whole time on the downhill! What a treat to fly down 6 miles of freshly moistened dirt in 80 degree weather...under trees!

It was nice to ride with a couple guys that were around my skill level. Jason brought up Prescott and told us riding there was a bit easier on the lungs. Hopefully they'll chim in with their thoughts on the ride.

Oh I almost forgot! On the way home, I stopped for a mountain dew. This lil guy had other plans...

·
Banned
1,748 Posts
Thanks for the Pics...

Jodiuh said:
It was nice to ride with a couple guys that were around my skill level. Jason brought up Prescott and told us riding there was a bit easier on the lungs. Hopefully they'll chim in with their thoughts on the ride.
Nice meeting the both of you. Had a blast on the downhill. Makes the grind up elden worth the effort. I was maybe thinking of heading up again saturday, or maybee up to prescott

Jason

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,814 Posts
Jodiuh said:
Depends on where you ride in prescott, as well as where you ride in Flag. There are more places in Flag to ride that don't climb up as much, and there are places to ride in Prescott that don't climb up as much. There are also rides I do in prescott with 3000-4000' of vertical, so in no way does going to prescott gaurentee that it's going to be "easier". The O2 is just one factor, how steep and loose the trails are is another.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.